Kidney beans

AnnM99

Quick question: my hubby is making a chili for us. I will be having cauli rice instead or rice which I love. Are the kidney beans ok? They have a lot of carbs but when I Google it says they're great for diabetics.
Can someone explain please.
Thanks.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Very good question. Does GOOGLE also say that Porridge and rice is good for Ds? Look at my signature and see what I’ve achieved.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick question: my hubby is making a chili for us. I will be having cauli rice instead or rice which I love. Are the kidney beans ok? They have a lot of carbs but when I Google it says they're great for diabetics.
Thanks.
Count the carbs in the beans they are no more magical than other food at the same number of carbs per 100g. I sometimes have just a few but mainly do my chilli with black olives. The veg and passatta can be quite high carb, so I find - especially as I eat very low carb I’d be careful but like anything else it will depend on the number of carbs per day that suit you and what else you are eating. Most important thing is to look at carb content and work out what works for you. Testing bloods before your chilli and then 2 hours after will let you know how you react to them which will then influence no of carbs best for you.

Reactions: RosemaryJackson

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try black beans instead, they are lower carb.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My kids don’t like kidney beans so I use sweetcorn instead & have cauliflower rice, don’t seem to get much of a rise in blood sugar

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have just a few but mainly do my chilli with black olives.
I knew someone mentioned black olives in another thread but could not remember who posted it, I have tried them after reading that it's a a great swap. :D

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
We have chilli most weeks, without the beans. I think it is one of those foods that once you have been broken by type 2, doesn't work. Legumes are pushed by a couple of dietary protocols but not animal based low carb / keto. I used to have black eye peas and red kidney beans in the well known Jamaican rice and peas for almost 50 years, but had to cut them out for optimum results.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.
What the internet says, is really irrelevant - do not believe a word what it says! However, what is relevant and important is how do kidney beans affect YOUR blood sugar levels. Thus testing!

I do not have a problem eating legumes (black/white/red kidney/chickpeas/lentils, etc). In moderation, of course. However, other diabetics have different experiences.

Reactions: jjraak

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can eat a few beans or lentils with no ill effects, maybe a tin in a large vat of chilli which will make me 6 or so meals. So not many in any given portion. As @jape says, really - only using a meter to test before and after will let you know what you can tolerate.