1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Kidney beans

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by AnnM99, Feb 2, 2022.

1. AnnM99

AnnM99 · Well-Known Member

Quick question: my hubby is making a chili for us. I will be having cauli rice instead or rice which I love. Are the kidney beans ok? They have a lot of carbs but when I Google it says they're great for diabetics.
    Can someone explain please.
    Thanks.

2. Estragon

Estragon · Well-Known Member

Very good question. Does GOOGLE also say that Porridge and rice is good for Ds? Look at my signature and see what I’ve achieved.

3. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Count the carbs in the beans they are no more magical than other food at the same number of carbs per 100g. I sometimes have just a few but mainly do my chilli with black olives. The veg and passatta can be quite high carb, so I find - especially as I eat very low carb I’d be careful but like anything else it will depend on the number of carbs per day that suit you and what else you are eating. Most important thing is to look at carb content and work out what works for you. Testing bloods before your chilli and then 2 hours after will let you know how you react to them which will then influence no of carbs best for you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try black beans instead, they are lower carb.

5. Estragon

Estragon · Well-Known Member

@shelley262 - Totally stunning explanations. I like it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT MODY · Well-Known Member

My kids don’t like kidney beans so I use sweetcorn instead & have cauliflower rice, don’t seem to get much of a rise in blood sugar

7. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I knew someone mentioned black olives in another thread but could not remember who posted it, I have tried them after reading that it's a a great swap. :D

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

We have chilli most weeks, without the beans. I think it is one of those foods that once you have been broken by type 2, doesn't work. Legumes are pushed by a couple of dietary protocols but not animal based low carb / keto. I used to have black eye peas and red kidney beans in the well known Jamaican rice and peas for almost 50 years, but had to cut them out for optimum results.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. jape

jape Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What the internet says, is really irrelevant - do not believe a word what it says! However, what is relevant and important is how do kidney beans affect YOUR blood sugar levels. Thus testing!

I do not have a problem eating legumes (black/white/red kidney/chickpeas/lentils, etc). In moderation, of course. However, other diabetics have different experiences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can eat a few beans or lentils with no ill effects, maybe a tin in a large vat of chilli which will make me 6 or so meals. So not many in any given portion. As @jape says, really - only using a meter to test before and after will let you know what you can tolerate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook