Type 1 Kidney - panic

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a 29 year old Type 1 diabetic - have been for almost 27 years! My recent blood results have shown an eGFR of 75 - it has been this low before with no protein. I am waiting to hear back from my latest microalbumin results. My HbA1c has been rising over the last few months after starting my pump in August! I am petrified and keep getting panic attacks that this is the start of the end for my kidney function!! My BP, BMI and diet are all good.

Has anyone had numbers like this which have improved with no protein or am I right to worry! Really scared - crying writing this!

x

Ps - I think my renal function might have dropped after my first baby but been stable since

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

I have moved your post to this board @cara147m as you are more likely to get an answer here.
I am sorry I cannot answer your questions.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I am a 29 year old Type 1 diabetic - have been for almost 27 years! My recent blood results have shown an eGFR of 75 - it has been this low before with no protein. I am waiting to hear back from my latest microalbumin results. My HbA1c has been rising over the last few months after starting my pump in August! I am petrified and keep getting panic attacks that this is the start of the end for my kidney function!! My BP, BMI and diet are all good.

Has anyone had numbers like this which have improved with no protein or am I right to worry! Really scared - crying writing this!

x

Ps - I think my renal function might have dropped after my first baby but been stable since

Hi...I am a Type 2, diagnosed post kidney transplant (ie. my kidneys did not cause it, the subsequent steroid treatment did). I know you are Type 1 and my experience will differ from yours but there's some stuff I can share that may help...
I inherited my kidney condition and was diagnosed at 17. I was perfectly healthy and symptom free (apart from easily treatable high BP) right up to maybe 50 years old. It had any impact on my life apart from the worry of it leading to renal failure at some point (probably). Kidney failure varies base don the reasons for it..but..I attended clinics every 6 months or so for years to have my levels checked (the important one being creatinine) and to establish my eGFR. The eGFR is way less important than the creatinine level. When the creatinine goes up the eGFR comes down. the eGFR only indicates the general percentage of function (which in a healthy person is seldom anywhere near 100%)...its the creatinine that matters. You can ask your GP to have this checked in a blood test if you are worried. I wouldn't be if I was you. Why? Because (while it varies a bit), doctors aren't concerned at all unless the eGFR is closer to 60% and under. Kidneys generally don't "fail" to the point where treatment such as dialysis is required if the level is above 15%. It took over 10 years for my eGFR to drop from 60% to anywhere near that level (and I had a chronic destructive renal disease), and even then I avoided dialysis with a live donor transplant which is working brilliantly at 59% (a near to NORMAL level). If you're really worried, and obviously, we differ in "possible" cause..if there even is a significant reduction in your function, its the creatinine level you want to know about. For what its worth..a level requiring treatment would be well above 500. Normal would be below 125. My money is on you not having too muhc to worry about...you have enough on your plate. I would however recommend drinking plenty of fluid to help keep the kidneys clearing themselves and avoid added salt. I hope that reassures you a wee bit, but speak to your doctor and maybe ask about a blood test. You may be interested to know that my current creatinine level (with diabetes and on a low carb diet) is 119. I would say you are nowhere near renal failure at 75%! I had my transplant just ahead of needing dialysis..my eGFR was...8%. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you - good to know :) Definitely having a panic moment. Your very reassuring x

Reactions: 2 people