Latest Result

Burg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just received my latest blood results 2 years since diagnosis.

diagnosis 1 yr 2 yr
A1c 76 38 35
wt 102 71 76
BMI 28.5 19.7 21.1
Chol 6.1 5.9 6.7
HDL 1.09 1.78 1.84
Trig 2.7 .7 .9
Chol/HDL 5.6 3.3 3.6

I see the dr in 2 days and I see he wants to discuss the cholestrol result.

The only change I have made in the last year is to up the fat intake in order to arrest weight loss.I have achieved this with coconut oil and cream in coffee, and cream in tea and am happy with the result so far.I have also gone to two meals a day with a daily 16 to 20 hour fast.

I have not been on any medication since diagnosis.

I am happy with the A1c results,although they aren't as low as my self testing would indicate.I am also happy with my weight gain while reducing A1c..At 71 kgs I was concerned about arresting the weight loss.

I'm afraid the dr will recommend statons but I am planning on refusing if he does. Instead will cut back or illiminate the coconut oil and cream.

I am concerned that my lipids are moving in the wrong direction.Should I ?

Bearing in mind my weight seemed to be heading to the too low area,should I be prioritising weight or lipids?

I will suggest more regular testing in order ton better monitor progress as I am still making changes to my approach/diet.I was tested twice within 4 months after diagnosis but annually after that.A1c at 4 months was 38

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Simply put, if you do not wish to take a statin then shake your head politely and refuse.

Saturated fat is not responsible for 'bad cholesterol'. If you cut it from your diet this may lead to one of two things, hunger that could lead you to reach for carbs or more weight loss.
I will leave it to other members to comment on your HDL/Trigs ratio as my maths is rubbish.

Great work on your A1c, what a fabulous success.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations you’ve done so well getting hbaca1 down and also a struggle when weight is reducing further than you want it’s hard to get the balance right.
I agree with @Rachox about your cholesterol ratios which look good and your HDL has gone up too. If concerned you could always tweak your fats a bit ie more olive oil, nuts, oily fish, seeds, full fat yoghurt etc which should all help keep HDL high but clearly you also need to keep your fats up so as not to lose weight. But I’d mainly advise you to use calculator as @Rachox advises and point out your ratios to your dr when you go for your appointment good luck and we’ll done

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you fast for this test?

If not, this could be why your triglycerides are high. If you had recently consumed food or drink that contained something fatty, it is likely to have caused the trigs to rise as they would be out and about doing their job in your blood stream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you fast for this test?

If not, this could be why your triglycerides are high. If you had recently consumed food or drink that contained something fatty, it is likely to have caused the trigs to rise as they would be out and about doing their job in your blood stream.

Oh have I read it wrong? I read the trigs level as 0.9?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is 2.7 then 0.7 and finally 0.9 - which seem pretty good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about the table.It has compressed on posting
Trigs going down HDL going up looks pretty **** good to me.. ignore the total number as its meaningless... looks like you are doing everything right and with the various new studies published today refuting LDL being "bad" then I reckon you're doing great.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The formatting of his table messed up, as he says, it’s got compressed. Can trig levels ever reach 7.9?

Only when you are on your seventh box of jaffa cakes ;)

Burg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies.Triglycerides are 2.7, 0.7 and 0.90. Both tests were fasting,although the test a year ago I did have a cup of tea with cream 4 or 5 hour previous.
I'm not unhappy with the results,will not take statins, but will tweak things.
What I took out of the results is HDL is much the same,triglycerides are up and total cholesterol is up.Cholesterol can probably be ignored.
So still good but a deterioration in one of the important measures.
I believe some people need to be a bit more conservative with fats,although this is very rare.
Whatever I do I will ask for more regular testing

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My understanding is that as your HDL is high and your Trigs are low, the LDL "boats" are effectively empty and have performed their duty (my interpretation of Dave Feldman's explanation).

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
It seems a standard policy to push all diabetics on to statins,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies.Triglycerides are 2.7, 0.7 and 0.90. Both tests were fasting,although the test a year ago I did have a cup of tea with cream 4 or 5 hour previous.
What I took out of the results is HDL is much the same,triglycerides are up and total cholesterol is up.Cholesterol can probably be ignored.
I believe some people need to be a bit more conservative with fats,although this is very rare.

The formatting of his table messed up, as he says, it’s got compressed. Can trig levels ever reach 7.9?

My apologies @Burg I misread your first post as regards the trigs.

Yes, the total cholesterol can be ignored. The rest of the results are good and within the ideal range. There is barely any difference between trigs of 0.7 and 0.9. They are both excellent trigs. I can't see any reason at all why you need to change your diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As @Bluetit1802 says above that diff in trigs and HDL is probably well within the margin of error for the tests so in your shoes I wouldn't tweak anything just carry on as you are doing (which obviously suits you very well).
maybe just keep your eye on the weight gain.. unless you have shrunk!

Burg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors visit this morning.Will post again after that Great day down in this part of the world.

Burg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news. Dr said my results were exceptional and to keep on doing what I am doing.He mentioned the cholesterol and LDL and said statons were an option. I got the impression he wasn't recommending them but felt he needed to raise the option.I said I wasn't interested and that was that.

So all's good on a cloudless sunny day in Middle Earth.

Reactions: Bluetit1802