Emerlou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my first time posting so go easy on me guys ! I've hovered around the fringes since being diagnosed almost 18 months ago, reading the brilliantly helpful suggestions and some amazing success stories but never felt a strong enough urge to post anything until today. You all - with your amazingly eloquent and well-researched advice - spurred me to go against my GP and the NHS dietician's advice and try the LCHF approach. I'd tried low-carbing (on a milder scale) when first diagnosed, with some success but following an appointment with the dietician at our local Diabetes clinic I became brainwashed with her advocating the 'balanced plate' method - carbs with every meal and and low fat choices with everything.

This did not work. I gained the weight I had lost and then some, my blood sugars peaked out, I felt ill, sluggish, unmotivated and I was probably in denial about it all. Until earlier this year - my blood tests showed some liver inflammation and a subsequent scan because of family history diagnosed a fatty liver. I couldn't ignore it any longer, I've got two young boys and I want to be around to see them grow into young men, so I had to do something.

Determined to make a change I came back to the forum, read some stuff that really inspired me and shortly after a big birthday at the end of Feb decided to give it a go. I've found lots of amazing recipes via Pinterest and food blogs and although I can't say it's always been easy I've stuck with it now for about 11 weeks. I've lost almost 2 and a half stone in the process, feel so much better, no bloating, sluggishness, afternoon slumps, dizziness. And I'm just getting to the really good bit that made me decide to post today - following a blood test earlier this week, came in to a letter this morning from GP saying there has been a 'spectacular improvement' in my results - liver function and HbA1c are both now normal (letter attached) !!!! I don't have the precise figures but will get them when I go in to discuss with them next week.

I am elated.

Thank you so much to everyone here for every bit of advice, every question and answer, every heated debate about the diet topic, and every reference or link to studies, research and evidence. You all convinced me that I could take control of this myself, that I didn't need to be reliant on medication or the outdated advice that the public health agenda pushes on us (I cannot blame my GP, dietician or the wider NHS for this, I work for the NHS myself and know how this works) and that I could try to heal myself through a better knowledge and understanding and a bit more thought about what I put into my body.

I know this is just the start. I know that the biggest challenge is to maintain this. But these results have got to be the biggest motivator I can imagine. The times when I'm busy collecting recipes, obsessing over sourcing the right ingredients, spending hours trialling out new meals and thinking of creative ways to make my diet interesting and sustainable - they're all worth it. And I would never have had the confidence to do this if it hadn't been for this site.

So I am unbelievably grateful. My family are unbelievably grateful. And if me saying this helps even one more newly-diagnosed T2 take the leap and try to do the same then I will feel I am somehow paying it forward. You ALL rock, and I feel incredibly proud to be a part of this virtual community in my own little way.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 367
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for posting.

Your comments actually brought tears to my eyes.

WELL DONE!!!

Emerlou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) Hi Brunneria - yours and some of the site admin have been some of the most influential posts I've read and have really helped and encouraged me so a personal thanks is definitely in order !

Reactions: 7 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for the success of all your efforts. I love reading about other people's success stories - they give me a real lift, and keep me on track. Thank you for that.

Reactions: 6 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, well done you :woot: Your post is super motivating and encouraging. It is not always easy, but I am getting used to it. These days I do not even crave sweets or any kind of snacks any more.

I wish you all the best for the future, and would love to see you around more ;)

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your great success from me too. Hope I can manage to lose that much weight in that short a time. Great motivation for me.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Great effort Emma! Your post is the reason there is a Success Stories thread. It has given me a great Sunday morning boost. Don't forget you give yourself credit - you did this!! x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news.. maybe tell the doc exactly what you have been doing when you see him to try and spread the word...
We are all very proud of you.
Big hugs
Mark

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Inspirational. Gave me a lift I really needed today. Congratulations

Reactions: 2 people

Emerlou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much everyone for your comments, I am still feeling very chuffed and looking forward to going to GP now :)

I totally agree with you Mark, I think the more that health professionals hear about the results that LCHF is giving their patients the more likely they are to reconsider trotting out the old party line about carbs to diabetics. Found some interesting stuff on IF on the forum last night so am going to pop over to read the other threads on this but if anyone has got any advice of suggestions on this for me here please do shout up :)

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much everyone for your comments, I am still feeling very chuffed and looking forward to going to GP now :)

I totally agree with you Mark, I think the more that health professionals hear about the results that LCHF is giving their patients the more likely they are to reconsider trotting out the old party line about carbs to diabetics. Found some interesting stuff on IF on the forum last night so am going to pop over to read the other threads on this but if anyone has got any advice of suggestions on this for me here please do shout up :)

There is a lot on intermittent fasting here on the site, and nearly everyone does it differently - and seems to believe that is should be done differently.

My advice is to go straight to the horses mouth, as it were, and read Jason Fung's website. He has a fascinating series of articles about IF and has a great grasp of it because he has been treating T2s with it for years now.

Once you have read that, the comments and threads on here will make a lot more sense! :)

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot on intermittent fasting here on the site, and nearly everyone does it differently - and seems to believe that is should be done differently.

My advice is to go straight to the horses mouth, as it were, and read Jason Fung's website. He has a fascinating series of articles about IF and has a great grasp of it because he has been treating T2s with it for years now.

Once you have read that, the comments and threads on here will make a lot more sense! :)
Agree with @Brunneria google Dr Fung and there's lots of info on fasting.. I have been experimenting with it recently and am on day 3 of maybe a 7 day fast at the moment (not exactly sure how long it will last yet).. helps bring blood sugars down although at the moment for me it has been only temporary.