Let's have a grumble!

James2

Let's have a grumble. I feel like a grumble.
Don't you just hate it when people won't, or can't, take 'No, thanks' for an answer?
I was at a coffee morning recently. I don't do this sort of thing much, for obvious reasons. There was coffee, which is good. I like coffee. There were also biscuits and cakes. I just bet type 1's can guess what happened next. The hostess knows I am diabetic.
'Sandra, are you allowed to have a piece of cake? It's home made.
I won't, thanks. Bet it's delicious tho.
Oh, can't you have just a small piece?
I'm ok thanks. Just coffee will be great.
Oh you poor thing. How about a biscuit then?
No really, thanks I'm fine. (Sheesh!)
A plain biscuit? I think I have some rich tea somewhere.
No really. Don't go to any trouble. I'm fine. Honest. (Not that keen on stale rich tea bickies to be honest).
I could fetch you some cheese. You can eat cheese can't you?'
Etc etc.
I get so, so tired of this.
I know people mean well, I really do. And it's not just about the BG. I'm also thinking about the jeans that I can get into now. I really don't mind not scoffing cake and biscuits. I've got used to it. I really don't feel deprived. If I'm absobloodylutely desperate for something sweet occasionally I will have some. But in the normal course of events I really don't mind bring the only one in the room not eating the sodding cake!
Grrrrrrrr.
I feel better now.
What about you all?

Hi Eldorado
you have miles more self control than me, I have had type 2 for a year i work in an open plan office i love chocolate but the team have a big cakes and chocolate culture . when i say no thanks repeatedly it is like i have farted very loudly, so yes i am on the same page as you on this one just less willpower
regards
James 2

Reactions: AM1874 and ickihun

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The guys at work are fine and my friends figure I know how to look after myself. My biggest frustration is my Mum, who comments on everything, 'I don't think you should be eating that'. This included the small pack of Haribo I was eating having just tested and found that my BG was 3.2mmol/l. I have been diabetic for 32 years and she is a nurse. :banghead:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When people say that they couldn't eat the way that I do I am very restrained and never ask them if they would prefer to lose their sight or feet !!
CAROL

Reactions: AM1874

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
We have 'feeders' in our office who always bring cakes, biscuits, chocolates etc. They know I am diabetic but still offer. I just reply politely saying 'no thanks, I don't want to loose my feet' !!
My problem is refusing large amounts of alcohol. We have some boozy neighbours who used to invite us to parties. I was always getting told I could not drink sugar free soft drinks all night and alcohol would not harm me. I was always the party pooper and of course they knew lots of diabetics who drank loads and they were OK. The woman went so far as to tell me diabetes was nothing like as bad as what her dad had (heart disease) and I should just enter into the spirit of things. I stopped attending their parties years ago and now I am apparently just a miserable old sod and anti social. Actually even one glass of wine makes me feel very ill with excessive thirst, palpitations, dehydration and hot sweats and exhaustion. I am perfectly happy with sparkling water and sugar free soda but they want everyone to drink till they fall down.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely spot on - we are all different and unique, it's a personal decision to make, it doesn't mean you have to deny the odd treat, just evaluate if you can manage it. Ultimately it's our decision and not someone elses to make though ;)
Nicely put juicy.

Let's say a box of doughnuts show up at work mid afternoon? For me the decision to "abstain" comes from a practical angle..

So, the "offer" is there. Wait. How many carbs? ****. I just picked up a doughnut, where is the sink to wash my hands before the test? Hummmmmmm. Still have bolus on board from lunch. My meter is in my pocket, but my pen is in another part of the building.. By the time I would have weighed this up then actioned an appropriate bolus, every one else has long since scoffed theirs & cracked on with the work! Lol :banghead:

It's easier to just say no ta! :)

Reactions: NinaB73 and Juicyj

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
but why can't you eat it if you've your rapid acting insulin. That's why we carb count.
I've been type 1 for a year, I've been on a month course to set my carb to insulin ratio. I eat everything I want. However, have a much healthier diet, but we don't have to deny ourselves.
I'm always between 5-7 blood glucose level.
My HBA1C is 50. Was as low as 40 at one point, but that was too low. Type 2 have to watch what they eat. We don't have to...
Some people have type2 in their family ontop of being type1 and are keeping their carbs low to avoid insulin resistance. I think!

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi @Eldorado , oooooh, Snapsy's ALWAYS up for a grumble!!!!!!!!

This isn't a grumble, though - more of an 'I did what I needed to do and hang the rest of them'. Had lunch out with the in-laws on Saturday. Received some advice that I needed to carb-load from the brother-in-law ahead of my big race the next day, and said no thanks to the huge plate of pasta he was wanting to order for me, and instead requested the grilled pesto salmon with a whole load of veg, no potatoes.

When I then single-handedly embarked on an ENTIRE cheeseboard ('I'll have the cheese and biscuits, chutney, grapes and celery, please, but without the biscuits, chutney and grapes, thanks') for pudding, he looked at me sadly and started talking about what his doctor had told him about avoiding cheese for the sake of his cholesterol.......

Telling him that I was very pleased with not only my blood glucose control but also my weight and energy levels - not to mention my sheer capacity for cheese - I was cheered, smug and delightfully cheese-loaded for my 10k. SORTED.

It's actually only very recently that I've actually been bold enough, in company of friends and family, and/or in restaurants and pubs, to go mildly off-piste like this with the menu - restaurants and pubs themselves are fine, but it tends to wind me up when I'm out with wider family and friends who decide I'm just being really picky 'for the sake of my weight' when I'm not - they don't understand that it's not about that! That does frustrate me, but a bit of confidence goes a long way.

:)
TELL your bro-in-law his Dr is out of date. Tell him to go boil his head and then research for himself blood cholesterol on youtube and find out about SDLDL and sugar and how fat as in cheese is now recommended by the American Dietary Association , and that the 50 years of Ancel Keys rubbish ,telling us to go low fat, has now been discredited.

Reactions: Sibyl and Dodo

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I have solved the 'allowed' thing by shouting quite loudly "I can eat anything I want as long as I inject for it" the other person is then usually so embarrassed they leave me alone!
That's the spirit ! keep it up !

Reactions: Chook and Diakat

RJW_Lon_29

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Let's have a grumble. I feel like a grumble.
Don't you just hate it when people won't, or can't, take 'No, thanks' for an answer?
I was at a coffee morning recently. I don't do this sort of thing much, for obvious reasons. There was coffee, which is good. I like coffee. There were also biscuits and cakes. I just bet type 1's can guess what happened next. The hostess knows I am diabetic.
'Sandra, are you allowed to have a piece of cake? It's home made.
I won't, thanks. Bet it's delicious tho.
Oh, can't you have just a small piece?
I'm ok thanks. Just coffee will be great.
Oh you poor thing. How about a biscuit then?
No really, thanks I'm fine. (Sheesh!)
A plain biscuit? I think I have some rich tea somewhere.
No really. Don't go to any trouble. I'm fine. Honest. (Not that keen on stale rich tea bickies to be honest).
I could fetch you some cheese. You can eat cheese can't you?'
Etc etc.
I get so, so tired of this.
I know people mean well, I really do. And it's not just about the BG. I'm also thinking about the jeans that I can get into now. I really don't mind not scoffing cake and biscuits. I've got used to it. I really don't feel deprived. If I'm absobloodylutely desperate for something sweet occasionally I will have some. But in the normal course of events I really don't mind bring the only one in the room not eating the sodding cake!
Grrrrrrrr.
I feel better now.
What about you all?
Yes, know how you feel. I now take my own biscuits into work to have as my mid morning break snack as I can't expect people to cater for my prediabetic needs as well as the people we all care for at the residential care home I work at. Therefore I am in control of what I eat. I am a bit better at resisting temptation now and the cook realised that I wasn't able to have the pudding that was on offer today. This helps. I used to be terrible at resiting temptation and would accept the offer of a chocolate biscuit. Now I am not too bad.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Um...the coffee morning thing...I am catering officer (ie it's me that buys the milk and biscuits and makes sure the kettle is working) for a gardening club that fund raises with coffee mornings...nice range of choccie biccies and WI cakes on offer...what SHOULD I offer to our mainly elderly, often overweight, and occasionally diabetic punters? The last lunch, I put out plates of nicely trimmed fresh veg & toms, which were totally, but totally ignored. (I roasted them for supper...scrummy). A simple finger food that goes well with tea/coffee? Anyone? Please?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I know an alcoholic guy been alcohol free for thirty years now. He got sick of explaining and thought why should I be having to do this?
So he changed tac and started saying I can't I'm afraid as can you believe it I'm allergic to alcohol and get a life threatening reaction to the stuff otherwise I'd love to join you. Works a treat and is in fact honest.

sugarrush

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's the looks you get in coffee shops when you ask for a cappuccino without chocolate. Like its a cardinal sin. To be honest it's not just my diabetes, why spoil a good coffee?!
I am lucky though as I have a good friend who buys chocolates for everyone at Easter but gives me bulbs for other garden. I wish more people were like h err r.

Reactions: Diakat and Dodo

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I just get frustrated by the need to explain why I eat the way I do - or, possibly worse, have people tell me what I should or should not eat. I know people that can't eat wheat or chose not to eat meat but they don't get the hassle that we seem to.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Um...the coffee morning thing...I am catering officer (ie it's me that buys the milk and biscuits and makes sure the kettle is working) for a gardening club that fund raises with coffee mornings...nice range of choccie biccies and WI cakes on offer...what SHOULD I offer to our mainly elderly, often overweight, and occasionally diabetic punters? The last lunch, I put out plates of nicely trimmed fresh veg & toms, which were totally, but totally ignored. (I roasted them for supper...scrummy). A simple finger food that goes well with tea/coffee? Anyone? Please?
a piece of cheese with an olive in on a stick of wood..
239_1347278290.original.jpeg

https://www.lowcarblab.com/best-low-carb-cookies/2/
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_fudge.html

Reactions: Sibyl

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know an alcoholic guy been alcohol free for thirty years now. He got sick of explaining and thought why should I be having to do this?
So he changed tac and started saying I can't I'm afraid as can you believe it I'm allergic to alcohol and get a life threatening reaction to the stuff otherwise I'd love to join you. Works a treat and is in fact honest.

I totally agree about this approach!

I have told people that I'm actually allergic to carbs!

The surprised looks I get!

When we get a working lunch, in front of the rest of the people I work with and or including sports people, they look at my salad when everyone gets pasta, lasagne, or other so called healthy food and my answer is usually I bribed the chef because I'm special!

Reactions: JTL

magjanereer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes - but also I get the opposite from one person in my family who is always happy to say - 'you shouldn't be eating that'..:banghead:
why do people do it I am sure we would never think of telling them what they can and cant eat .

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I totally agree about this approach!

I have told people that I'm actually allergic to carbs!

The surprised looks I get!

When we get a working lunch, in front of the rest of the people I work with and or including sports people, they look at my salad when everyone gets pasta, lasagne, or other so called healthy food and my answer is usually I bribed the chef because I'm special!
Our usual manager is on maternity so Head of HR is our boss at the mo. For a forthcoming do I said I will bring my own lunch and she said OK - no fuss, no explaining, no drama. Wonderful. Wish she organised all our events. I am diet controlled so have no drugs to accomodate the whims of the rest of the world. Just me; responsible for me.