Lidl High Protein Low Carb Rolls

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
So, after eating a half roll toasted and smothered with butter (as well as 2 boiled eggs) here's my results:

Fasting reading this morning - 6.3
2 hours later and just before I had breakfast - 7.3
1 hour after eating 2 boiled eggs and half a Lidl High Protein roll - 6.9
2 hours -----------------"---------------------------"------------------------ - 7.5
3 hours -----------------"---------------------------"------------------------ - 6.2

I think it was a successful test :) but I'll repeat it again just to make sure. I'd also like to try it when I start at a lower reading (I really must try to eat something not long after I get up!).

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, after eating a half roll toasted and smothered with butter (as well as 2 boiled eggs) here's my results:

Fasting reading this morning - 6.3
2 hours later and just before I had breakfast - 7.3
1 hour after eating 2 boiled eggs and half a Lidl High Protein roll - 6.9
2 hours -----------------"---------------------------"------------------------ - 7.5
3 hours -----------------"---------------------------"------------------------ - 6.2

I think it was a successful test :) but I'll repeat it again just to make sure. I'd also like to try it when I start at a lower reading (I really must try to eat something not long after I get up!).
Not a bad result at all....I found that the more I eat them the lower the effect they have. Yesterday I had a whole roll with bacon and tomato with butter and mayo and my numbers went from 5.8 to 7.1 and dropped quickly afterwards...half a roll hardly affects my numbers at all now....half a roll with bacon and tomato = 5.5 up to 6.2 Also find that if I eat protein ( a 2 egg omelette or cheese omelette) for breakfast that my numbers stay lower all day. I had read that somewhere and it seems to be true for me. I used to skip brekkie but not anymore

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't wait to finish my Newcastle Diet so I can try these :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd Lidl protein roll test.

1 whole roll, toasted, with lashings (seriously) of butter, and a smear of marmite.

Total rise of 0.9 (pre was 5.3, then tested every 30 mins for 4 hours)
But here's the interesting thing - I hovered at that maximum (6.0-6.2) for 3.5 hrs! Before dropping back to 5.5 at the 4 hr mark.

My next test, tomorrow, will be a roll with a more normal ;) amount of butter.
I bet I shoot higher, quicker, and drop quicker too.

Edited:meant to post this in the WDYE thread, so will copy this over to there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd Lidl protein roll test.

1 whole roll, toasted, with lashings (seriously) of butter, and a smear of marmite.

Total rise of 0.9 (pre was 5.3, then tested every 30 mins for 4 hours)
But here's the interesting thing - I hovered at that maximum (6.0-6.2) for 3.5 hrs! Before dropping back to 5.5 at the 4 hr mark.

My next test, tomorrow, will be a roll with a more normal ;) amount of butter.
I bet I shoot higher, quicker, and drop quicker too.
I stayed higher for longer when I first tried them too but the more I have them now, the less I get a rise and it comes down quicker now too. Interesting to see how they affect us individually

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey I'm gonna try these as soon as I can get my hands on some. Thanks for the tip.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had cheese on toast ...substituting breads with a Lidl rol....omg what can I say....truly scrumptious and soooo filling The seeds popped as they toasted which added even more flavour to it. Just waiting now to see what happens to my numbers.....watch this space....:nailbiting:

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ate a whole one toasted with butter on and loads of cheese grilled...also had raspberries and jelly and my BG was 4.7 ....went up to 6.5 :D......result !!!!! woohoooo :D :D :D

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the Lidl protein rolls, must admitn they are really tasty, but never realized they were so low in carbs. I know they have little effect on my BG & that explains it now. Plus with them being full of good fiber, that slows things down as well.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been googling.

Here's the ingredient list (apols if someone already posted this!)
Taken from facebook

Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

Allergens:
May contain traces of milk and egg.

Very interesting. Stonking fibre. And apparently so little wheat flour I haven't had my usual reaction. Presumably my problem isn't the protein in wheat. Is gluten wheat protein? Have no idea... And a lovely lot of fat, presumably the seeds and soya.

I've had no bread-like bloating, water retention and thirst, either.

I don't usually eat processed stuff like this, but every now and then, when we take the in laws out for a picnic, or I really want to appear 'normal' at work...

Reactions: 7 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria

Yeah those are the Carb and Protein figures I got from a reply on the Lidl Facebook page :)

Might just have to stuff the Newcastle Diet for a day and try these. Don't think I can wait for a couple of weeks :hungry:

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria

Yeah those are the Carb and Protein figures I got from a reply on the Lidl Facebook page :)

Might just have to stuff the Newcastle Diet for a day and try these. Don't think I can wait for a couple of weeks :hungry:
Too funny Jim...well worth it I can assure you....nice bit of butter on just half of one to try and couple of pieces of crispy bacon :hungry:....really hope you get a good reaction on them too :D

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I took a walk to my nearest Lidl this morning (3 mile round trip) and bought a couple of these rolls. They are bigger than I thought and look real good.

Think I will try one today for a late lunch. :)

Will post results later.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I took a walk to my nearest Lidl this morning (3 mile round trip) and bought a couple of these rolls. They are bigger than I thought and look real good.

Think I will try one today for a late lunch. :)

Will post results later.
Yayyyy :).....I tried half of one to start with....they are very filling :) Fingers crossed you get a good result :)

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been googling.

Here's the ingredient list (apols if someone already posted this!)
Taken from facebook

Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

Allergens:
May contain traces of milk and egg.

Very interesting. Stonking fibre. And apparently so little wheat flour I haven't had my usual reaction. Presumably my problem isn't the protein in wheat. Is gluten wheat protein? Have no idea... And a lovely lot of fat, presumably the seeds and soya.

I've had no bread-like bloating, water retention and thirst, either.

I don't usually eat processed stuff like this, but every now and then, when we take the in laws out for a picnic, or I really want to appear 'normal' at work...
It's good to see a supermarket that has something on the shelf for diabetics. They should advertise them as such, cause they really good.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to see a supermarket that has something on the shelf for diabetics. They should advertise them as such, cause they really good.
I have emailed them saying exactly that and that they should stock them at all of their stores. No reply from them as yet.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've done my test with these rolls.

Before I give the numbers I'll explain my day:

Tested at 08:00 at 4.6​

Had a Tesco Ultraslim shake at 10:00​

Went for a 3 mile walk at 10:30​

Went for a 2 mile walk at 15:00​

15:45 I tested at 3.6 then ate 1 roll sliced in half an toasted with generous amount of butter
Test Results:

0.5 hours 4.2
1.0 hours 4.3
1.5 hours 4.6
2.0 hours 4.8
2.5 hours 4.3
3.0 hours 3.8
3.5 hours 3.2
4.0 hours 3.8
All in all I would call that a success. Once I've finished the Newcastle Diet I reckon these will be on the menu for breakfast :)

Big thanks to @Gezzabelle for introducing these to me :)

Reactions: 9 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've done my test with these rolls.

Before I give the numbers I'll explain my day:

Tested at 08:00 at 4.6​

Had a Tesco Ultraslim shake at 10:00​

Went for a 3 mile walk at 10:30​

Went for a 2 mile walk at 15:00​

15:45 I tested at 3.6 then ate 1 roll sliced in half an toasted with generous amount of butter
Test Results:

0.5 hours 4.2
1.0 hours 4.3
1.5 hours 4.6
2.0 hours 4.8
2.5 hours 4.3
3.0 hours 3.8
3.5 hours 3.2
4.0 hours 3.8
All in all I would call that a success. Once I've finished the Newcastle Diet I reckon these will be on the menu for breakfast :)

Big thanks to @Gezzabelle for introducing these to me :)
Wow brilliant results :D so pleased for you and that you will now be able to enjoy some 'proper' bread :D

Reactions: 4 people