Lidl protein rolls

laffinjake_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Will Lidl protein rolls ever come back. I miss them terribly and were the best thing for me when doing low carb diet. I have found myself gradually tucking back into normal bread again ☹️

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will Lidl protein rolls ever come back. I miss them terribly and were the best thing for me when doing low carb diet. I have found myself gradually tucking back into normal bread again ☹️

I feel the same. I now have Burgen soya and linseed but only half a slice at a time.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Probably not. When Lidl discontinued them I wrote saying how important they are to people on a low carb/keto diet and the reply I got was that the cost from the supplier to Lidl had increased so much that they couldn't make a profit on them.

It only seems to apply to the UK as one of the forum members who lives in Germany @ziggy_w can still get them at her local Lidl.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There seems to be a few recipes for something similar knocking about, is it possible to recreate them yourself? x

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It only seems to apply to the UK as one of the forum members who lives in Germany @ziggy_w can still get them at her local Lidl.

That's good news - if it turns out we can get them in Denmark too. Will check next time I go to a Lidl. Perhaps @ziggy_w and I can do export business together :)

Reactions: Goonergal

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There seems to be a few recipes for something similar knocking about, is it possible to recreate them yourself? x

I've tried - I'm not a good cake/bread type cook so they turned out a bit peculiar. The low carb bread in Sainsbury has the same texture and taste as Lidl Protein Rolls but had a horrible effect on my BGs.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good news - if it turns out we can get them in Denmark too. Will check next time I go to a Lidl. Perhaps @ziggy_w and I can do export business together :)

Was thinking of the same myself, @briped and @Chook, though they have gone up in price here too. If I remember correctly, they are now 0.69 Euros here, so approx. 0.6 GBP.

Definitely wouldn't be averse to helping -- if anyone can come up with a good idea how to go about this.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a suitable period of mourning, I now have Broghies from my local Morrisons - 4.4g carbs per wafer thing - but they are like crackers, not bread. Good with dips and cheese and I pile scrambled or fried egg on top of them. They are fine for me but do contain wheat (and salt, that's all) so may not be suitable for others, and if you are very low-carb. They are, um, 88g/100g (!) but each wafer is around 5g and about the size of a large saucer. I can tolerate 2 and they saved my sanity for the Boxing Day feast of cheese (lots of cheese), cold meats, pickles etc.

Reactions: KK123

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As i said before, i am not good at all at baking but to Mr Chook's (and my) surprise I did make some very successful And very easy low carb cheesey garlic scones to have with pate and cheeses etc for over Christmas. The mixture was very wet so i added a lot (probably 150g) of ground almonds until it was stiff enough that I could pat the mixture to about an inch thick and cut in to scones and very nice they were too!! I based my scones on this recipe
https://lowcarbyum.com/gluten-free-garlic-cheese-biscuits/ They freeze beautifully and even toast nicely (under the grill).

So, this morning, having eaten all the first batch, i have made up a double recipe and splatted it in to a loaf tin, baked for 40 mins then, after cooling, I sliced it and froze it. The only thing i did different from the recipe this time (apart from adding the ground almonds) was drastically reduce the salt (to quarter teaspoon) and garlic powder (to half teaspoon).

I think next time i will make a slightly sweet version adding sweetener, vanilla extract and crushed walnuts in place of the savoury ingredients.

Reactions: Goonergal

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my daughter was on holiday in Trevira Portugal in October she tried the Lidl there a really big one she said for the rolls but they didn't have them. They had them the year before so obviously they had been discontinued there as well

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying out adding low carb substances to my normal bread recipe - the last recipe is in my blog.
I am going to try making small roll sizes using muffin tins, to ration it.
The addition of all the extra stuff makes far more bread than the original one loaf version, but bread is high carb, so testing and rationing is a good idea - though if you are still eating bread, making this lower carb one is probably going to help.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok confession time....:sorry:

I have a lidl near me...:D
Popped in bought 3 rolls of these...:D:D
back to work and scoffed the first one with some salad and cheese...verrrry nice..:D:D:D

then noticed you all said PROTEIN rolls..and mine were Low GI rolls....:woot:
googled content...295 lcals...44 g carbs per roll...:***:

seemed to have dodged a bullet..got busy so missed the hr window..but when i could test about 3hrs after..i was 6.6..:grumpy:

anyway, as i was browsing web, today, i came across this recipe.
I'm a non baking type of guy...but i do miss the bread/rolls...(so sorry, boot me out, if you must....but i do.:bigtears: )

and i'm looking for SIMPLE..(aka ME friendly recipes until i can get used to this, and earn my baking badge.;))

so i found a low carb bagels recipe

This looked ideal..the comments suggest 5 eggs and cream cheese..but all the reviews seemed positive.
AND even when it doesn't work out they still say it's delicious..and one uses it for a pizza base.

Now i have NO idea if this is good or whatever..But i do have those ingredients, i think.
and i'll be giving that a go over the next week or so....mmmhhh.

so i am leaving this here, by dint of the fact i don't know where else to put it...:)

RECIPE

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok confession time....:sorry:

I have a lidl near me...:D
Popped in bought 3 rolls of these...:D:D
back to work and scoffed the first one with some salad and cheese...verrrry nice..:D:D:D

then noticed you all said PROTEIN rolls..and mine were Low GI rolls....:woot:
googled content...295 lcals...44 g carbs per roll...:***:

seemed to have dodged a bullet..got busy so missed the hr window..but when i could test about 3hrs after..i was 6.6..:grumpy:

anyway, as i was browsing web, today, i came across this recipe.
I'm a non baking type of guy...but i do miss the bread/rolls...(so sorry, boot me out, if you must....but i do.:bigtears: )

and i'm looking for SIMPLE..(aka ME friendly recipes until i can get used to this, and earn my baking badge.;))

so i found a low carb bagels recipe

This looked ideal..the comments suggest 5 eggs and cream cheese..but all the reviews seemed positive.
AND even when it doesn't work out they still say it's delicious..and one uses it for a pizza base.

Now i have NO idea if this is good or whatever..But i do have those ingredients, i think.
and i'll be giving that a go over the next week or so....mmmhhh.

so i am leaving this here, by dint of the fact i don't know where else to put it...:)

RECIPE
We won't boot you out - I for one miss them! I made the same mistake at first with the GI/protein rolls too. I'd be interested to hear how you got on with the bagels as I'm not that keen on the flavour of coconut flour. There's a section in the Forum for recipes (Food, Nutrition and Recipes) so may be worth putting the recipe in there after you've earned your baking badge :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We won't boot you out - I for one miss them! I made the same mistake at first with the GI/protein rolls too. I'd be interested to hear how you got on with the bagels as I'm not that keen on the flavour of coconut flour. There's a section in the Forum for recipes (Food, Nutrition and Recipes) so may be worth putting the recipe in there after you've earned your baking badge :)

Cheers for that reply, @Sue192

and thanks for the posting tip, will wander over then once i've given it a go..
(and will post back on here, how well (or not :***:) it went..:D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Anyone know if they do Lidl rolls in the Netherlands or France?

I stocked up on the rolls before they went out of production and I am still eating them; about two freezer shelves left so they won't last forever.

I might be going over to mainland Europe later this year so could restock on the way back.

Edit 1: https://www.lidl.nl/nl/Ovenvers-brood.htm doesn't show them.