LIdl Rolls

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit mystified, just wondering what makes up the hidden contents of the roll because it doesn't add up?
Are they a little bit like the Universe, with all that dark energy and dark matter?
Would like to try making them into a bread in our bread maker that I only use for my wife's bread nowadays!
:) Derek
I did ask them for the detailed recipe but was told quite politely to pee off...

Reactions: DJC3 and dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bulkbiker, it is what I would have expected I am sure Cosmologists are much more polite about dark matter! :). Derek
I guess in their defence they may be from a third party so the recipe might not be theirs to give..hmmm I sense some googling..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess in their defence they may be from a third party so the recipe might not be theirs to give..hmmm I sense some googling..

I guess it is keeping their own recipes a secret. If they divulged these things competitors would jump in and steal the market, or people would make their own and no longer buy them. I am sure all food manufacturers do this.

Reactions: dbr10

lindisfel

Expert
I am still making those rolls every week and I prefer them to the to the Lidl ones.
Thanks Mr Pots and Avocado for the recipe I shall make them and see how I get on there was always too much salt in the Lidl rolls for my condition and I can leave salt out.
Many thanks to all of you for the help I have difficulties with a filler at lunch time.and tend to eat very little.
regards
Derek

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mr Pots and Avocado for the recipe I shall make them and see how I get on there was always too much salt in the Lidl rolls for my condition and I can leave salt out.
Many thanks to all of you for the help I have difficulties with a filler at lunch time.and tend to eat very little.
regards
Derek
I have modified the recipe over time. I have substituted mixed seeds for the bran, I use rolled oats whole instead of oat flour and I don't use any sweetener. I do use sugar to activate the yeast.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaarrghhh!! It's true :mad: Just been into my local Lidls. None on shelf. Find nice store manager and order 24 (I'm sure he thought I was a weather-related panic buyer). Waiting at check-out and manager comes along, full of apologies, but they've been discontinued. He asked if he could order a substitute for me and I told him why they were good. Thanks to @bulkbiker for resurrecting @avocado's thread - when I have recovered from the shock I might have a go, although my bread efforts used to turn out handy for building walls. Waitrose in the next town is small and doesn't stock Livlife, no Sainsburys. I've seen Burgen and Vogel but the trouble I have with those is that one slice could turn into more, and the Lidl roll is 'self-contained'. Darn it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaarrghhh!! It's true :mad: Just been into my local Lidls. None on shelf. Find nice store manager and order 24 (I'm sure he thought I was a weather-related panic buyer). Waiting at check-out and manager comes along, full of apologies, but they've been discontinued. He asked if he could order a substitute for me and I told him why they were good. Thanks to @bulkbiker for resurrecting @avocado's thread - when I have recovered from the shock I might have a go, although my bread efforts used to turn out handy for building walls. Waitrose in the next town is small and doesn't stock Livlife, no Sainsburys. I've seen Burgen and Vogel but the trouble I have with those is that one slice could turn into more, and the Lidl roll is 'self-contained'. Darn it!

I am fairly certain they will return and they are just changing the size or something. According to my shop they are best sellers.

I tried one slice of Burgen this lunch time with a small tin of salmon, flaxseed, and 6 small cherry toms. I didn't enjoy it very much - not enough crunch but will try again with it toasted. It also made me higher than a Lidl roll.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I use a food mixer but it is not necessary, I don't have a bread maker.
Thanks so much, you've just made my day. I hope when I go out and buy another lot of unknown ingredients that they don't laze in the cupboard after the first go. Very happy person even though I've never been a big bread eater, sometimes you just need a bit... especially with my boiled egg. Do they freeze well do you know?:happy:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much, you've just made my day. I hope when I go out and buy another lot of unknown ingredients that they don't laze in the cupboard after the first go. Very happy person even though I've never been a big bread eater, sometimes you just need a bit... especially with my boiled egg. Do they freeze well do you know?:happy:
I use this company for my supplies https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/
I always freeze mine and microwave them for 30 secs to thaw them.
I have never been able to make rolls that look as good as the ones @AvocadoSevenfold made, mine look a bit flat, but the taste and texture are good.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been told by all three of my local branches that they are being discontinued, any stock being baked is just to use up what they have in their freezers. There are new lines of rolls and breads coming in on Friday, one of the three managers I spoke to said there may be a similar low carb product coming in but he couldn’t be sure. The other two had no idea is there would be a similar replacement. I told all three that many diabetics relied on them, and nobody else sold anything like it, and they were all really sympathetic. They always sell out quickly around here, so they can’t say they are unpopular!

I managed to get just six :arghh:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been told by all three of my local branches that they are being discontinued, any stock being baked is just to use up what they have in their freezers. There are new lines of rolls and breads coming in on Friday, one of the three managers I spoke to said there may be a similar low carb product coming in but he couldn’t be sure. The other two had no idea is there would be a similar replacement. I told all three that many diabetics relied on them, and nobody else sold anything like it, and they were all really sympathetic. They always sell out quickly around here, so they can’t say they are unpopular!

I managed to get just six :arghh:
I think they're just idiots. Why all this faffing about with a product which sells well and has become a staple for diabetics?

Perthperth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sent email > Can you tell me if you have stopped supplying High Protein Rolls in your bakery departments please? Being a diabetic these were the only rolls I and most other diabetics are able to eat. If it’s a temporary supply problem we may be able wait, if not many diabetics will need to find another supplier and will have to contact other major supermarkets as to their ability to supply the demand for them.

Reply >
Dear Lidl Customer

Thank you for contacting us.

Our team is looking into this for you and we will be back in touch shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Yours sincerely,
Lidl UK GmbH

When and if they reply I will post

Perthperth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent my email yesterday but no reply as yet.
We can only hope...... if enough contact them maybe they may get the message. I pass at least 4 other major supermarkets to get to Lidl for them. Won’t be worth it if they cease supplying them. It’s the only reason I do my full weekly shop with them.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sent email > Can you tell me if you have stopped supplying High Protein Rolls in your bakery departments please? Being a diabetic these were the only rolls I and most other diabetics are able to eat. If it’s a temporary supply problem we may be able wait, if not many diabetics will need to find another supplier and will have to contact other major supermarkets as to their ability to supply the demand for them.

Reply >
Dear Lidl Customer

Thank you for contacting us.

Our team is looking into this for you and we will be back in touch shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Yours sincerely,
Lidl UK GmbH

When and if they reply I will post
Good.