Lifestyle Changes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My health didn't need much improving when diagnosed with diabetes, I was just feeling rather older than my years. I have not changed my lifestyle.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cut carbs.
But that was before I knew I wasn't T2. I still follow a mostly lowish carb style of eating though.

Reactions: DumfriesDik

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As a T1, insulin injections!

Given I was 8 at the time, I didn't notice any other changes. With a T1 mother, my diet was already T1 friendly, and this was pre glucometer so no blood tests were available.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I didn't do anything different when first diagnosed many years ago. However, I need an operation now and is being held up because my bloods are too high. To get my carbs under control I now don't eat carbs and together with the right medication it works for me.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditched the carbs in favour of a ketogenic way of eating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went ultra low carb and gave up eating before 1 pm at the earliest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went keto, and carried on with same level of activity. :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Changed from High Carb Very Low Fat way of eating to LCHF - against my Doctor's advice. Started testing the affect of different foods on my own Blood Glucose meter.
Otherwise no changes - though I do have more energy now.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Type 1 diagnosed at 5 1/2 years old so I can safely say zero changes :) 49 years in and still a fair few more to go

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought a bunch of books on the subject, listened to tons of health podcasts and dove into the primal lifestyle.

Reactions: Flora123

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Upon being diagnosed with diabetes what was one of the first changes you made to your lifestyle to improve your health?

My diet and exercise regime at diagnosis was exactly what the doctor ordered. However, as my health gradually went downhill including being prescribed Rosiglitazone which nearly killed me (liver function still not 100%), I started to do some research. After consulting a nutritional therapist I took her advise and lowered my carb intake, just by cutting out bread, pasta, rice, potato I lowered my carbs to less than 50gms per day. It allowed me to throw away the gliclazide (which had replaced Rosiglitazone), Januvia and as my total cholesterol was quite low, the statins went out the window as well. TC is till around 4.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cut sugar and sugar-added food immediately. Day of diagnosis, once I read about T2D online. So number 1 - read about it online. And then walked, and walked, and walked some more, whilst trying to decide if I was going to go on metformin or not. (Still do!)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No change to lifestyle, just fixed my diet by cutting right back down on carbs. That was all I needed to do.