Light supper advice

julianporter

Hi all,

New member here so I apologise if I am in the wrong place :)

My history: 2 years ago I was diagnosed as type 2 and put on meds but after 6 months I had managed to loose 6 stone so was taken off meds and fortunately am no longer considered diabetic,

But I still check my bloods daily and am still very careful about what I eat.

Anyway I am currently trying to loose a few pounds and because I am eating less I am struggling to sleep, if I have a supper about an hour before bed it seems to work, so what I am after is a light supper thats will not effect my bloods too much

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Jules

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jules and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your diabetes was actually a classic case of insulin resistance caused by your weight. Having lost 6 stone, you've also lost the insulin resistance and your insulin is able to work normally in dealing with blood sugar. Technically you still have diabetes but it is well controlled.

The simplest way to lose more weight would be to reduce the amount of carbohydrate in your supper and replace it with more protein. The protein will make you feel fuller for longer so should help you sleep better, and the carbohydrate reduction should cause you to lose weight. I don't know how much carbs you would have in an agerage supper so I can't say how many grams you should reduce by. But if you simply try 10% less carbs than you would normally have and try it for a week then you should start to see a reduction. If not then reduce the carbs a bit more.

Dennis

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have either a couple of crispbreads, dark rye or rye with sesame seed, with some fish paste, tuna or salmon with some wine vinegar or malt vinegar, or I have pumpernickel with thinly sliced cheese and slices of pickled onion. If I have any fresh rye bread in, I have that with either smoked ham or some sort of salami, plus some sort of pickle, usually a gherkin. The mix of whole grain, protein and a little touch of acidity works for me and I'm around 5.6 - 6.0 in the mornings.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Something I discovered recently is a stick of celery with peanut butter stuffed all the way along, Yummy!

julianporter

Thanks so much everybody I really appreciate the advice here and it will help,

Dennis, thank you, I have only this week started having a supper, I have cut down my calories during the day and my weight is coming off, I only have another few pounds to loose so no big deal but I am struggling to sleep so was advised to introduce a supper,

Thanks again everyone

Jules

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love humous with large bowl of veggies (celery sticks, carrots, cauliflower, green beans etc.). Its a great way of having lots of veggies. Definately more than your five a day!