Lighter Life diet plan and blood glucose levels

boycat19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been a poorly controlled type 2 diabetic for over 6 years and have been overweight for most of my life. I have tried to lose weight many times with some success, but I have never been able to have good BG control, with morning readings getting to 15.

I have taken Metformin and Gliclazide for 6 years and started taking Sitagliptin about 12 months ago. The Sitagliptin was not doing what it was supposed to do so they took me off it and said the next step was pre-insulin injections. NO WAY was I starting injections yet; I suspect I may have to sometime in the future.

I finally got into the right mindset to tackle the problem of losing weight and started the Lighter Life Total diet 1 week ago. This is a very low calorie diet (around 600 kcals per day) and around 60g of carbs per day, obtained by having 4 food packs per day consisting of shakes, soups, bars and meals.

I was astonished yesterday morning to have a BG reading of 6.7, I have never had below 8 or 9 in the morning in 6 years of being diagnosed. By day two of the diet my evening BG was 6.8 instead of 18. I also checked through the day after eating my food packs and the BG reading was virtually the same as it was in the morning.

I cannot wait to have my next HBA1C check to see what the result is. It had gone from 7 to 10.2 over the past 2 years, nearly back to where it was before I started on medication. The diabetic nurse is going to be so pleased with me :D

I am still in denial about having a serious medical condition and about what could happen in the future, but getting such low BG results is fantastic and will push me forward to follow the Lighter Life plan until I reach a healthy weight.

I thought losing weight was the answer to my high BG readings but now have to accept that carbohydrates are the devil's food, which is why they taste so good, and should only be eaten in limited amounts if I want good BG control.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Congratulations. Yup, carbs are the enemy if you have too many and of the high-GI type. I'm sure your next Hba1C will be a lot lower