1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lost,scared,angry type 2.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by LCHForever, Feb 17, 2019.

1. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The pecan nuts in my drawer till yesterday afternoon can testify to that, or rather, they can't anymore :shifty:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Welcome @LCHForever ! I am a not-too-strict lacto-ovo-pescafisho-vegetarian who has loosened the rules over the decades. I gave up about 35 family Thanksgivings ago and ate turkey. That led to chicken if the fish looked funny. Nearly 20 years ago my older son started sneaking off to McDonald’s for animal protein, so I started buying and cooking meats. I doubt I’ll ever be able to eat any but fowl, though.
    With the local availability of small-farm-raised chicken, I don’t feel bad about eating that. Beef, pork, lamb etc can be raised the same way but it’s been since 1975 and I’m really terrified of the digestive results. Plus, my memories of flavors of these meats are all good, and I wouldn’t want to spoil my love of the smell of someone cooking out on a summer day!
    I did have to stop all my bean and grain combos, which was a hard goodbye. After I’m certain I’m on the right path, I may try some black beans in olive oil, see what it does to BGs...
    I had a blood draw last Friday and am waiting for results. Six months ago the HbA1c was right on diabetic. I am hoping now for normal. My Glucose app tells me I am just barely normal. I am hoping the lab work will agree!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not you in particular criticising it but it has been criticised on the group at other times by some saying it is not healthy to be a vegetarian or vegan and they would be healthier eating meat which is rubbish. I do not think many people just become vegetarians because they think it is healthier for the majority it because they have their ethical reasons for not wanting to eat animal products and that should be respected. Whoever said we need to eat animal products to be healthy anyway even some meat eaters find controlling their diabetes difficult

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I dont know who said it but:

I do know that the majority of us type 2's on here have to eat some animal products of some sorts, even as vegetarians, in order to stay healthy as an all plant food diet is too high in carbs for us to keep healthy blood sugar levels and will lead to all sorts of complications for us.

Are you differentiating between vegetarians (who eat some animal products) and vegans, I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
  5. frenchlady

frenchlady Type 1 · Member

Hi, If you ask for a meter from here, they will send you one, free of charge. The sticks you get on prescription.https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/our-products/freestyle-optium-neo

• Like Like x 1
  6. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not too sure about the strips, most UK GPs appear to tell T2s they don't need to test unless they're on glucose lowering drugs such as gliclazide or insulin. So many UK T2s have to self fund their meters, at which point you're best to go for the cheapest and most reliable strips available. (Most of the meters are fairly affordable, as the manufacturers make their money from the strips.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

even for type 1's or type 2's on insulin, the GP's decide what meter they are willing to prescribe testing strips for. You cant just go in and ask for some with your own choice of meter.

I personally know of no type 2's who get any test strips on prescription unless they are on insulin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Thank you, but T2s not on insulin or Gliclazide-type drugs do not get strips on prescription. We have to self fund. So we look for meters with the cheapest strips. Meters that are given away for free normally come with very expensive strips.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pushers :shifty:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. LCHForever

LCHForever · Member

Thank you all so much for your kind and supportive responses. I started the week by doing a cooking blitz as I am working this weekend too and it has helped so much to have a stocked freezer.
    I have been vegetarian for almost 20 years for a variety of reasons and never going back to meat.
    Not getting a meter, it's a big motivation for me as I couldn't deal with using one.
    Finding this weekend tough as tired from work but trying to make decent choices.
    Six and a half weeks to my next bloods. Hoping to have turned things round, I'm on a far better path than I was four months ago.

• Like Like x 2
  11. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Good luck. I do feel being organised and planned is a huge part of the battle so your prep is a great start. I honestly think you’re flying blind without testing at all but for your sake I hope your next lot of tests show it’s in the right direction at least. It’s possible but depending on some luck too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

That's good!

Just out of curiosity, why do you say you couldn't deal with using a meter? I didn't think I would be able to, when dx'd nearly a year ago, but once I tried it I found it was nothing to deal with at all. So just wondering ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do. My doc is very intrigued by my diagnosis and the control and results I’ve achieved. He prescribes some but I still have to self fund some myself so I can test as much as I feel is needed to maintain results. I’m very lucky, I know but I do think he can see I’m very determined and serious about my health.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Roseanne01

Roseanne01 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks heavens I live in Australia. All strips unlimited with a Drs prescription. And most don’t question it. No script if you’re on insuin or hypo inducing drugs.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nikbeeni

Nikbeeni · Newbie

Love your comment 'Compare yourself only with yourself' So clever, uplifting and absolutely true. Thank you

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Phoenix55

Phoenix55 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Some think it is the easy option, but if you do it correctly it is the toughest. You are the one who has to look at yourself in the mirror each morning, you know if you have been trying to 'massage' the figures, have succumbed to temptation. When you have achieved a goal it is the very best feeling, because you know that you have really achieved and can then set the next target - even if it is maintenance of your progress for the next few months.
    Don't compare yourself with anyone else. You are unique and therefore what you are capable of achieving is specific to you, in life, in education, in health.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group. I feel your frustration. I was diagnosed in March 2017 and was doing great on the LCHF lifestyle. Neither my doctor nor my Diabetes Educator are supportive of the LCHF plan. This past three months my BG has been all over the place, from 5.7 to 13.4 (Canada) and I am about ready to give up. My next blood work is on March 12 and I'm afraid my A1C is going to be above normal and I will be told I need to take meds. I don't want to take meds. I want to get control of this and get back to where I was before December. I have had a lot of stress and anxiety since Dec. 19 due to family issues and the weather here has not been good for walking the dog, so only a few walks when the weather permitted. It's been freezing cold, like the Arctic, and very icy, which makes it unsafe to go walking. I can't afford to fall again. I have not eaten any food that is not on LCHF so I don't understand what is happening. I've read sites where this seems to be quite common in winter for some T2s. Today after a small slice of low carb pizza that I made and a peanut butter fat bomb my BG was 12.6. I took the dog for a walk because the sidewalks are clear for about 50 minutes. When I checked my BG it was 12.8. Seriously, I want to sit down and cry. I'm thinking what's the use of doing this when nothing seems to be working? I don't have any support, either. I'm being told I lost too much weight, LCHF is not healthy, yada yada yada. It's very discouraging. Thanks for this forum and for all the support that one gets on here.

• Hug Hug x 2
  18. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Do you know how many carbs you are eating each day?
    Low carb is normally a powerful way to lower blood glucose, for lucky type twos, so high levels might indicate that something is going on - possibly low levels of insulin production if your diet is good. It isn't your fault if something like that has happened - organs do fail, but there is the technology to overcome the problem.

19. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, but I know I have been eating way too much Keto Psyllium Husk bread and Keto bagels instead of healthy veggies. I also had to up my healthy fats because I need to maintain my weight or gain a bit. I have always eaten too much bread when I've been stressed and I guess I'm now transferring that to Keto breads that I bake myself. I'm thinking that might be the cause. I hope that's the cause because I can control that. Today my FBG was 11.2 so I just had coffee for breakfast. I checked about two hours later and it was down to 10.9. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. macbanana

macbanana Type 2 · Newbie

Hello my name is michael i am new to the forum they have recently been diagnosed with t 2 I guess it was because of my excessive alcohol consumption lack of exercise and being 4 or 5 stone overweight that did it I now want to change and lose as much weight as I can or at least get down to 15 stone catch you all soon..

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook