low blood readings

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am waking in the mornings with low blood sugar readings, below 4 every morning now.
i saw the doctor yesterday and he has reduced my gliclazde to 40mg morning and evening from 80mg.
what do folks on here either take to bed, or use to bring sugar levels up.
yesterday, i was near to hypo, as i was shaking, 3.3mml
NHS advice is to eat glucose tablets, jelly babies, or sugary drink.
I can understand the need for this, but isnt this exactly what we are trying to avoid.
My other thought and the doctor suggested also, was just taking 80mg in the morning.
I am delighted the low carb diet and medication is working, but as I have weight to lose, reducing my medication further is not an option at the moment.
I had the Hbc1 test last month, and as this was not good news, I have another test and meeting with diabetes team in 2 weeks time, luckily, my surgery are fans of low carb, for diabetics.
depending on the results, will see about medication then,
I have been told the diet has to be adhered too, to keep the reduction in medication.
any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am delighted the low carb diet and medication is working, but as I have weight to lose, reducing my medication further is not an option at the moment.

So you're seeing results, you're body is becoming more insulin sensitive to a point that it's driving you hypo in a fasted state yet they don't want to scale back the meds ?
You are responding perfectly to low carb, imho now would be the perfect time to taper back.

Have you also lost weight along this low carb journey, if so there is a chance you've released the damaging fat around your pancreas & liver for them to function again.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yet again we see the contradictory advice of eat to match the Meds rather than match the Meds to whats eaten.
If the Meds are reducing your levels too much then they need to be reduced. You are improving you don't need as much. But the medical profession prefer the lazy route of having you eat more, it's as if they don't want you to improve.

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you're seeing results, you're body is becoming more insulin sensitive to a point that it's driving you hypo in a fasted state yet they don't want to scale back the meds ?
You are responding perfectly to low carb, imho now would be the perfect time to taper back.

Have you also lost weight along this low carb journey, if so there is a chance you've released the damaging fat around your pancreas & liver for them to function again.

They have scaled back the meds, 80mg to 40mg its just they want to see if they can scale back further, after the next round of blood tests.
up to now, i have hardly lost any weight, even though i have been very strict, my diabetes nurse reckons gliclyzide is notorious for stopping you lose weight.

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yet again we see the contradictory advice of eat to match the Meds rather than match the Meds to whats eaten.
If the Meds are reducing your levels too much then they need to be reduced. You are improving you don't need as much. But the medical profession prefer the lazy route of having you eat more, it's as if they don't want you to improve.

They have reduced the meds.
My question is what do you eat, to raisesugar levels when they are low, without damaging all the work i have done by reducing my carbs

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
As far as I understand (no personal experience of Hypos) in a Hypo you need a fast acting (i.e. highly refined or sugary) carb because Hypos are dangerous. Though this is based upon the experience of Type 1's on insulin rather than Type 2's on Glic.

But the objective must be to reduce/taper the glic so that you no longer get a hypo overnight/early morning. The idea of taking the whole 80mg with breakfast may work, though I suspect that if the 40mg evening dose is having such an effect, you don't really need any more than 40mg per day taken in the morning. You need to make good use of your BG meter to confirm this!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glicizide is a short term medication to reduce blood glucose levels.
You start on a relatively high dosage, then when your hba1c levels drop, your doctor should reduce the dosage.
Then gradually reduce the dependency on the drug.

It is not a weight reducing medication.