low carb and cholesterol

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I don't know if anyone can answer this question but I will ask anyway...I was diagnosed with prediabetes last week although my blood sugar levels were from 3 months ago so I don't know what they are now (bad communication from my GP surgery). The GP suggested healthy eating and more exercise and seeing the nurse for further information. I can't see the nurse till 18 November but I want to start doing something before then. My cholesterol was also high and the GP said this is probably linked with the high blood sugar. My question is do I cut out carbs and hopefully lower my blood sugar (and also my cholesterol) or should I be cutting out fat to lose weight and reduce my cholesterol (and hopefully my blood sugar). Will cutting carbs reduce my cholesterol? I am not checking blood sugars so my main focus is my weight at the moment.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, a lot of studies I have read found that low carb diets either keep your cholesterol levels static or improve them by reducing LDL and raising HDL cholesterol. In my case, my total cholesterol has stayed roughly the same with an increase in HDL.

It's difficult to say without knowing what your 3 month reading was - known as an HbA1c - but a higher than normal HbA1c can be several times worse for cardiovascular disease risk than any cholesterol level you could achieve. Plus, with a high HbA1c you're at risk of all lots if other complications. My advice to you would be to concentrate on your diabetes first and foremost.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Sam. my level was 46. it is so frustrating not being able to see the nurse for another 2 weeks as there are so many questions I have about my blood test results.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a diabetic, I'd be happy with that, but as you've not been diagnosed yet, 46 is on the high side. If you switch to a low carb diet I would expect that your HbA1c would drop. With an HbA1c of 46 your risk if cardiovascular disease is around twice that of of non-diabetics. From memory, I think your cholesterol would have to be off the scale to achieve that level of risk.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well good luck with that aqua, I do hope your nurse is better than all the nurses I see (I have a different nurse every time). You will probably get more and better answers on here. I think you will find that now you have this you will be more knowledgeable than the nurse. I stopped asking questions when I kept getting blank look, she knew nuffink.

Deb13

Dislikes
Having diabetes
My personal experience is if u low carb and get your blood sugar down. Everything else seems to follow. I also have high cholesterol I eat a lot of protein plus heaps of green veggies my last visit to the doctor my 3 month wee test was normal. Cholesterol and bs the lowest it's been for 8 years. Low carbs seems to be the answer. For me anyway [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for all your replies. I will try the low carb route but I am sure I will be back with more questions. I am so glad I found this website I have found out so much already.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, do go for the low-carb. Carbs are a major contributor to weight gain as well as high blood sugar if you are diabetic. Remember 'fats don't make you fat' so don't worry too much about them. Also many people find that by reducing carbs, cholesterol tends to go down