Low Carb Breakfast Ideas Needed

Angela17376

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am trying to reduce my carb intake. I feel that I am mastering low carb lunches and dinners but breakfast is an issue. My fasting blood sugar this morning was 5.3 but two hours after a bowl of Malt Wheats and milk my reading was 12.5. I know eggs are an obvious choice but I worry about not feeling satiated and don't want to eat them for every breakfast. Please can you suggest some breakfast ideas that will keep me going until lunch without resorting to snacking if possible.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing or coffee with cream is my go to breakfast in the morning. The fat from the cream is satiating so no food is required. It's surprisingly easy to extend your overnight fast with quite a few health benefits especially for those of us with T2.

First solid food usually mid afternoon followed by dinner in the early evening.

Reactions: yehonatan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Three eggs keep me going until evening - it is carbs which make us hungry.
Grain for breakfast is most likely going to elevate insulin output so you feel hungry a couple of hours later,
Anything other than grain is going to be a better choice.
These had days I tend to cook some fish in the evening and leave it in the fridge to eat with salad next day as my first meal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I almost invariably end up eating more overall if I have breakfast.

However, some good options would be eggs anyway you wish, and if time is an issue, making up a crustless frittata is good as it re heats well.

Or bacon and eggs, or leftovers from yesterday’s lunch/dinner or cold cuts.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's possible to get low carb bread or tortillas and use nut butter which is very filling.You can also use nut butters on celery. Cheese on low carb bread or tortillas. You could use one of the low carb protein mixes for a shake for breakfast. Now I don't eat breakfast, but for years I had a 16 ounce protein smoothie before work each morning. 8 ounces was not enough, but 16 ounces did the trick just fine.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am trying to reduce my carb intake. I feel that I am mastering low carb lunches and dinners but breakfast is an issue. My fasting blood sugar this morning was 5.3 but two hours after a bowl of Malt Wheats and milk my reading was 12.5. I know eggs are an obvious choice but I worry about not feeling satiated and don't want to eat them for every breakfast. Please can you suggest some breakfast ideas that will keep me going until lunch without resorting to snacking if possible.
I don't eat breakfast. Do you feel you need three meals a day? Concentrate on fats and proteins in each meal and you will feel fuller for longer.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will help if you fill in the profile and information pages. What type of diabetes do you have, and what meds for diabetes are you taking, if any? This information will help us tailor our suggestions for your needs. Thanks.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I preferred to delay breakfast or drop it, but one of the meds I have for another condition has to be taken with food. If travelling I have bacon and mushrooms, at home I make a porridge with 2 heaped tablesp milled flaxseed (which is low carb), add 1 spoon chia seeds, a little chopped nut or seeds, a sprinkle of salt and cinnamon. Add boiling water and microwave for 100s, then stir in a large spoon of coconut milk and serve with double cream.

Angela17376

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat breakfast. Do you feel you need three meals a day? Concentrate on fats and proteins in each meal and you will feel fuller for longer.
Unfortunately breakfast is the one meal that I don't feel I can do without, unless I am not at work and having a lazy day at home.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m like you I like my 3 meals a day and need my breakfast. Don’t think of breakfast, lunch, dinner but meals 1,2 & 3. I often have leftovers for “breakfast” anything that fits in with your low carb way of eating, I don’t often do eggs as too many upset my tummy, today I had tuna mayo on a couple of romain lettuce leaves as I had some left over from yesterday.

I’ve got keto stuffed peppers tonight for tea, will probably have some left over so will have it for my breakfast tomorrow.
If I don’t have leftovers I have some cooked meat or I like a bit of smoked salmon with a bit of cream cheese.

if you feel time is of the essence in the mornings make up your breakfast the night before. I batch cook bacon and it lasts 2-3 days in the fridge, a quick zap in the microwave or even cold and your good to go. Cheese crusted omelet is a an easy thing to make and keeps well in the fridge and eat it hot or cold. Guacamole on lettuce leaves, think outside of the word breakfast and you will start to see there’s any amount of things you can eat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately breakfast is the one meal that I don't feel I can do without, unless I am not at work and having a lazy day at home.

Try it? .. you might be surprised.. most meals are simply habit rather than need.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Low carb toast topped with trout pate and cucumber, or cheese, or some form of nut butter, or butter and vegemite, or smashed avocado with either chilli or lightly pickled radishes, or cold sliced tomatoes or.........and those are just some of the fast summer options!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally I have coffee with cream from about 6am. I have a food breakfast maybe once a month. When I do, it will be eggs, bacon, 98% meat sausages, mushrooms, sometimes a small amount of black and white puddings (relatively high carb). I usually won't eat the rest of that day and most of the next.

I would not have believed that possible a few years ago.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you are on insulin. It may be a good idea to talk to your diabetic nurse about dosage, especially if you are reducing carbs or your current dose is not enough to lower your blood sugar levels.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb Breakfast for me usually:
2 Sausages (e.g. Dulano(LIDL) or Herta Frankfurter) (heat in microwave 2 minutes)
2 poached eggs (by white plastic 2-eggs micro-wave poacher(amazon £4), 2 minutes)
1 Cheese slice (Milbona Gouda or Edam, ...)
2 slices thin ham (from ASDA, Sainsburys, ..., LIDL))

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Break fast" is simply the first food you eat of the day, what it is and when it is is entirely up to you. Although the cereal manufacturers have spent billions over decades convincing us only their products will do

For example, Over the last weekend my teenage guests slept until noon and break fasted on lunch of salad, meats and cheeses and pie (they are non diabetic)

My go to, on the days I want anything, is thick plain greek style yoghurt with milled seeds and a tablespoon of berries.
If you like this can be put together the night before when it thickens into a satisfying porridge type texture.

There are loads of alternative low carb "porridge recipes on line

Eggs are quick simple and nutritious.

Search the forums for more ideas. Steer very clear of cereals in any form and try to include protein is you want to stay full until your next meal

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unlike some others on low carb, I’m always hungry on waking and get a blood glucose surge if I go too long without eating. I tend to stick to eggs at breakfast (they are more filling than you might think, but you might need 3 or 4) but sometimes jazz them up with cheese or peppers or bacon, ham, or sausage (good quality ones like Heck). Occasionally I’ve had some leftover Diet Doctor pizza (made from mozzarella and eggs) which also hit the spot — are there any leftovers you might fancy in the morning?

Reactions: Grannypat

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just want to add, because a lot of people are talking about skipping breakfast. It really is totally up to you.

Just an added explanation of probably why so many do skip breakfast. There is what we call DP, dawn phenomenon, which is a rise of hormones before you wake that causes your liver to dump some glucose into the system. There is also what we call FOTF, foot on the floor, which causes a hormone release soon after you wake and your liver also dumps some glucose. Both of these have a tendency to make you more insulin resistant for a few hours after. Hence more of a reaction to food in the morning and BG levels being more stubborn in the am.

It’s just a little harder to deal with, so a lot of us skip. Plus a longer fasting period which a lot of people like it to help maintain weight. I was happy with skipping because as I said I was never a breakfast person anyways. I have a pump and I automatically give extra insulin to account for FOTF without even eating. And if I do eat, which I have started to do to fuel on a swimming day, my carb insulin ratio is set higher.

My husband eats in the am and doesn’t seem to have any extra reaction to it, but if he did, he would definitively still be eating breakfast.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mix and match from this list, I can always build a meal including breakfast out of them on a moderate low carb healthy fat way of eating.

Beef, pork, lamb, mutton, goat, bacon, eggs, chicken, fish, seafood, cheese, butter, greek yoghurt, small portions of fruit, various veggies. We a can also get lower carb bread and spuds here here which I eat as well.

Works for me. :D