Low carb diet and constipation

Fritter65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Any one else suffered from this after going on low carb diet? The latest episode caused severe pain for an hour dialled 111 and part of the advice was to eat more fruit but am obviously concerned about sugar levels in Fruit am going to seek advice of Gp

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had severe constipation when starting the low-carb diet. Two things helped a lot:
  • Eating a tablespoon of pure wheat bran with breakfast (very high-carb, but I fit it within my daily carb budget).
  • Hydration (I drink at least 2 liters of water between meals, in addition to drinks with meals).
Having said that, I continue to have occasional (and sometimes severe) episodes of constipation. I put them down almost entirely to the low-carb diet but my doctor also thinks they might be stress-related.

Edited to add: This might be useful http://www.diabetes.co.uk/conditions/diabetes-and-constipation.html.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese and dairy are a major constipator. At least for me. Even just a small piece of cheese will do it.

Then too much fiber

And since quitting coffee I drink broth in the morning with butter or ghee and that helps.

Reactions: Grateful

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I suffered badly in the early days. But now have flaxseeds every day. Sprinkled on my food or used as an ingredient. I also drink way more than I ever used to. I still get the odd episode when I have to resort to Senna.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been not so bad recently but for quite a while it was pretty awful. I went drink lots but really not sure why it's got better.... fingers are crossed.
Check out the forum history as there have been recent discussions with a number of members giving specific lax, which may help.
It's not fun, so take care
Hj

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did read somewhere is that it's OK to take a laxative drug occasionally (although I have not tried this) but not too often as this could actually make things worse.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did read somewhere is that it's OK to take a laxative drug occasionally (although I have not tried this) but not too often as this could actually make things worse.
That’s quite right they can become less and less effective if used too often. I only take Senna when I’m desperate! :eek:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A avocado a day helps things for me.
Ah yes. How could I forget that one!!

Huh?

I am thinking of taking that plunge, in an experiment to see if it helps head off borderline high blood pressure. It must have been tough, however?

Fiber backs me up. I can’t go anywhere near flax, chia, psyllium, etc. too many stringy veggies or with tough skins and seeds.

I’ve quit coffee before and always restarted. Tea didn’t cut it. However the broth with ghee/ butter is very satisfying and it was a breeze. Easier than I thought. But like anything, I think you have to be ready.
It sure feels like my BP is lower. I should check it. Duh. But my days, energy and moods are much more even. Sleeping like a baby too. That doesn’t happen in my world lol. But it is now
Seriously, next to quitting grains it’s probably the best thing I’ve done. I’ve known for a long time it was t my friend but I just pushed the “ignore” button

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

This might sound gross but FLEET makes a liquid laxative the works like magic. It looks like a baby enema but it’s just a liquid suppository in a bottle. Twice the strength of a regular laxative and it doesn’t go through your system.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But like anything, I think you have to be ready.

Plus, of course, coffee is a laxative so if I gave it up ... back to the "c" problem again, possibly.

To my surprise, my consumption of coffee (which has always been high) actually increased since the T2D diagnosis. Even though I am now drinking it straight with no milk or sugar. I love coffee!!!

Unfortunately I do need to, at least, figure out whether it could be affecting BP. Those first one or two cups of coffee early in the morning set my heart racing -- I can tell. So I bought a BP monitor and will experiment. I think it was @Brunneria who said she did some detective work on her BP and narrowed it down to coffee.

So here's hoping that the culprit is not, in my case, coffee. Should know the answer fairly soon, as soon as I have the nerve to go cold-turkey.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIANDB

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus, of course, coffee is a laxative so if I gave it up ... back to the "c" problem again, possibly.

To my surprise, my consumption of coffee (which has always been high) actually increased since the T2D diagnosis. Even though I am now drinking it straight with no milk or sugar. I love coffee!!!

Unfortunately I do need to, at least, figure out whether it could be affecting BP. Those first one or two cups of coffee early in the morning set my heart racing -- I can tell. So I bought a BP monitor and will experiment. I think it was @Brunneria who said she did some detective work on her BP and narrowed it down to coffee.

So here's hoping that the culprit is not, in my case, coffee. Should know the answer fairly soon, as soon as I have the nerve to go cold-turkey.
The ghee lines your intestines and it too acts as a laxative if that helps.

Yes, heart racing and jittery. That can’t be good for bp.

And weird thing is coffee makes me tired! It makes my heart race but I want to nap. I rarely got the pick me up. Especially in the morning. Mid afternoon I would though. Happy to have it gone

Good luck if you take the plunge!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of times a week I eat some of the milled flax seed and mixed seeds - separate packets bought from Lidl - I add a spoonful to either an omelette or salad dressing. About one tablespoon at the most, of both together, and make sure to take an extra glass of water before eating. They are sold as additives for smoothies - but I don't do them.
They are best kept in the fridge or even freezer once opened - they have seals on the packets so they can be closed up again.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Leafy greens might be the answer. When I was first diagnosed I was told to avoid fat, and starch, so I just started eating greens (which I'd never been able to handle before) I soon got used to them, and even now I find I can eat fat, I still keep the greens as a mainstay. Pok Choi, choi sum, raw cabbage- that should keep you right

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of times a week I eat some of the milled flax seed and mixed seeds - separate packets bought from Lidl - I add a spoonful to either an omelette or salad dressing. About one tablespoon at the most, of both together, and make sure to take an extra glass of water before eating. They are sold as additives for smoothies - but I don't do them.
They are best kept in the fridge or even freezer once opened - they have seals on the packets so they can be closed up again.
Oh that’s interesting, can you store milled Flax seed in the freezer? How long will they keep in there? I have a big packet in the fridge that says use within 45 days of opening, I was thinking I’d be wasting some, but not if I can freeze it :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that’s interesting, can you store milled Flax seed in the freezer? How long will they keep in there? I have a big packet in the fridge that says use within 45 days of opening, I was thinking I’d be wasting some, but not if I can freeze it :)
You can! We used to keep a tub in the fridge and freeze the rest and then refill the tub as needed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do storage testing for Allied Lyons, the food and drink people - I put anything with a lot of fats/oils in lower temperatures. Coffee - particularly grounds but also beans, seeds, and even butter and lard, to slow down the process of oxidation - sealing in an airtight container helps too. I have never had anything go rancid in the freezer, but the storage time is usually less than a year.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Best thing i've tried is Fybogel (Sugar free) to get things moving again :)