tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i am inclined to believe that low can diet is yet another market-friendly charade to let you eat without too many restraint on quantity. What pinches hard is the call to intermittent fasting or to keeping the food quantities small. Restraint and self-control goes against the grain of market culture. It is not very different from the pharma industry.

I wish to hear from experienced forum members about this.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could you possibly rephrase your question, please? By the statement above I am not sure you have fully understood what a low carb or LCHF lifestyle actually is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i am inclined to believe that low can diet is yet another market-friendly charade to let you eat without too many restraint on quantity. What pinches hard is the call to intermittent fasting or to keeping the food quantities small. Restraint and self-control goes against the grain of market culture. It is not very different from the pharma industry.

I wish to hear from experienced forum members about this.

Why do you think low-carb is a charade (or have I misunderstood what you are saying).
I have lost over 100 pounds in weight and have normalised my blood sugar by cutting out carbs.
I haven't really restricted calories in any meaningful way apart from a few fasting experiments. So I disagree that food quantities need to be kept "small" when low carbing. That has not been my experience.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not quite sure I follow your request - on low carb I need very little self control - my freezer and two fridges are full of things I can eat.
I eat when I get up, and in late evening because that keeps my BG steady, but I really do not feel hungry or deprived and I sometimes accidentally fast due to having something to do or somewhere to go and I wake up next day and find the foods I intended to eat still in the kitchen fridge.
I do need to use a small bowl, the size of a teacup, for the berries and cream - but I eat those after an evening meal which is very satisfying - often very late in the evening as I was so full after the main course I needed to wait for a couple of hours.

Reactions: zand

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I go low (almost no) carb I actually eat more as just leafy/green veg need to be eaten in larger quantities. I also eat more meat and eggs to fill me up.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you possibly rephrase your question, please? By the statement above I am not sure you have fully understood what a low carb or LCHF lifestyle actually is.

My argument is: There is no substitute to self-control, and that requires very "strong" motivation. Low carb diet may help, but when that requires (my experience) constant checking of minute data on every food package or measuring the quantities, it has been an utterly unmotivating experience for me. Incidentally, to quote the Administrator of this forum introducing a new thread on Low carb education: "Quite simply, benefits of a low-carb diet include lower blood glucose levels, less dependence on medication and improved cholesterol levels. Not necessarily for all, but certainly for many with motivation."

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My argument is: There is no substitute to self-control, and that requires very "strong" motivation. Low carb diet may help, but when that requires (my experience) constant checking of minute data on every food package or measuring the quantities, it has been an utterly unmotivating experience for me. Incidentally, to quote the Administrator of this forum introducing a new thread on Low carb education: "Quite simply, benefits of a low-carb diet include lower blood glucose levels, less dependence on medication and improved cholesterol levels. Not necessarily for all, but certainly for many with motivation."
How long have you been doing it? I find that I shop quickly because I have only a set amount of stuff to buy. Huge swathes of the supermarket can now be safely avoided. I only have to check new items but have mostly stopped buying anything pre made or processed and buy fresh ingredients instead.
By eating higher fat meals I don't get so hungry and so can fast easier. I don't snack.
I find my motivation in keeping all my limbs and not going blind. That's quite enough motivation to keep this going in the long term for me.

Reactions: rab5 and VeeH

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the contrary, I don't find the diet unmotivated. I find it inspirational. I get a heck of a buzz out of low numbers following a nice meal. The re-education I am going through is fascinating and I will be starting fasting when I return from holiday.

You need to do some reading on the subject.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It just take a little practice to low carb, you soon get the hang of what you can have.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Much of the motivation of following a LCHF diet is how quickly you see changes soon after you adopt it. My motivation means I also buy "real food" that does not have a label on it. On the rare occasions that I buy something that is packaged and has a label on it you can guarantee I have scrutinised the label first, otherwise it does not go in the basket.

I lost nearly three stone on LCHF and, while I have put on a couple of pounds, my weight is pretty much stable and I am happy with my Hbac1. Nearly two years on I still don't need medication.

In all the years that I have dieted and stuck to the government guidelines, I never experienced such a fast turnaround and improvement in mood as I have with LCHF.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been doing it? I find that I shop quickly because I have only a set amount of stuff to buy. Huge swathes of the supermarket can now be safely avoided. I only have to check new items but have mostly stopped buying anything pre made or processed and buy fresh ingredients instead.
By eating higher fat meals I don't get so hungry and so can fast easier. I don't snack.
I find my motivation in keeping all my limbs and not going blind. That's quite enough motivation to keep this going in the long term for me.

Dear bulkbiker, I am not a contrarian missionary! I can only congratulate you for your motivation and your personal conditions to sustain it.
I believe that different persons will be motivated for different reasons. In the past the fires of hell motivated many to reduce fat for feeding those fires! The daily grind of each one can also limit individual motivations, however strong. That includes the need for me to do marketing for the family and preparing the food for the family members with diverse tastes and needs and routines.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Much of the motivation of following a LCHF diet is how quickly you see changes soon after you adopt it. My motivation means I also buy "real food" that does not have a label on it. On the rare occasions that I buy something that is packaged and has a label on it you can guarantee I have scrutinised the label first, otherwise it does not go in the basket.

I lost nearly three stone on LCHF and, while I have put on a couple of pounds, my weight is pretty much stable and I am happy with my Hbac1. Nearly two years on I still don't need medication.

In all the years that I have dieted and stuck to the government guidelines, I never experienced such a fast turnaround and improvement in mood as I have with LCHF.

Thank you for sharing your experience and results. Wish you continued success with LCHF.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

"No substitute to self control". Are you saying that greed has a part to play in LCHF? Forgive me if I have misunderstood but self control and motivation are emotive terms which have (generally) no place in the argument against a high carb, highly processed, fast food diet.
Many of us buck the trends with regards to the Big Food Industry by buying whole, fresh foods instead of the convenience foods that use the absolute cheapest and generally nutritionally poor ingredients so your initial point of there being a charade is in fact erroneous. In general we buy few of the so called staples like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes that draw people into buying additional foodstuffs.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"No substitute to self control". Are you saying that greed has a part to play in LCHF? Forgive me if I have misunderstood but self control and motivation are emotive terms which have (generally) no place in the argument against a high carb, highly processed, fast food diet.
Many of us buck the trends with regards to the Big Food Industry by buying whole, fresh foods instead of the convenience foods that use the absolute cheapest and generally nutritionally poor ingredients so your initial point of there being a charade is in fact erroneous. In general we buy few of the so called staples like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes that draw people into buying additional foodstuffs.

I believe one needs self-control also for not getting emotional about LCHF. Gandhi's politics of satyagraha (non-violence) also disturbed the British colonial authorities. Preaching low carbs for the sick can also have interest for food industries to win back the lost sheep of the fast food industry by back door. It is quite common nowadays to hear about "social responsibility" of the big enterprises! It is part of their publicity.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Preaching low carbs for the sick can also have interest for food industries to win back the lost sheep of the fast food industry by back door. It is quite common nowadays to hear about "social responsibility" of the big enterprises! It is part of their publicity.

And the 2018 Donald Trump award for the most far fetched conspiracy theory goes to.......

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On the contrary, I don't find the diet unmotivated. I find it inspirational. I get a heck of a buzz out of low numbers following a nice meal. The re-education I am going through is fascinating and I will be starting fasting when I return from holiday.

You need to do some reading on the subject.
Constant reading of contrary views is my ongoing interest.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@tsouza can I point you in the direction of The complete guide to fasting. It is a fascinating read.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And the 2018 Donald Trump award for the most far fetched conspiracy theory goes to.......
I weigh currently 60 kg. Don´t need low carb diet to lose any lbs for my age. I lost 12 kgs during past two months without any resort to low carb foods.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered low carbing by accident. I have said this many times before on this forum. I used to cook bacon butties for myself and my son for breakfast each day. One day I didn't have enough bread for both of us, so gave him the butties. I just had the same amount of bacon as usual with a little butter. I was normally starving hungry and snacking by 10 am and had lunch at 12. Imagine my amazement then when I looked at the clock and it was 1pm and I still wasn't hungry! It didn't make sense that I could eat less and feel more satisfied. I left bread out of my diet for a while, then followed by leaving out flour products, cereals, potatoes and rice. I had been dieting for years, so sugar was already off the menu. You don't need willpower, you don't eat more, it's the carbs that make you hungry.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh currently 60 kg. Don´t need low carb diet to lose any lbs for my age. I lost 12 kgs during past two months without any resort to low carb foods.
Resorting to low carb foods? You make it sound like it's a hard thing to do.