tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, for me it is, for reasons already mentioned in my previous posts in this thread.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what do you eat? LCHF isn't the only way to help control diabetes.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Do you mean that bacon and butter are part of low carb diet? I would not choose them even if they were.

I am afraid that the above comment shows a vast ignorance of the diet that you are condemning as some kind of scam by the food industry.

Could you, perhaps, tell us what you consider to be a low carbohydrate diet?

Please be aware that most of us here who eat low carbohydrate increase our intake of protein and especially fats. These act to decrease hunger and usually result in naturally eating less. If you eat when you are hungry until you are full then you don't need much willpower to follow the LCHF eating style.

Please note also that diabetes is a condition where your body's ability to safely process carbohydrates is impaired. It is therefore sensible to limit the amount of carbohydrate that you eat. This is just being kind to your body.

Many (myself included) find carbohydrates addictive. Strong willpower is needed if I start eating more than minimal carbohydrates because I just want more and more. I don't have the same issue with eating protein and fat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating low carb for a very long time and found no difficulty in feeding a family on pretty much the same basic foods just adding in a few more carbs for the others to eat - I would have cauliflower, aubergine, courgette or salad stuff and they would have pasta or potatoes, rice or pastry or another flour based food.

rameshK

My personal experiences in managing the T2 from last 4 years have been, after trying a lot of things and experiments, monitoring sugar levels has been that two things made the most difference are low carb and lots of walking (exercise). So I see there is lot to say about low carbs diet.:)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I believe one needs self-control also for not getting emotional about LCHF. Gandhi's politics of satyagraha (non-violence) also disturbed the British colonial authorities. Preaching low carbs for the sick can also have interest for food industries to win back the lost sheep of the fast food industry by back door. It is quite common nowadays to hear about "social responsibility" of the big enterprises! It is part of their publicity.

If I have understood your comment then I agree in part regarding Big Food and its 'cottoning on' to the low carb aspects of diet. There are products out there that purport to be low carb but on inspection turn out be be nothing of the kind. As with the bodybuilding community and their craze for any product with the word Protein on the pack I fear this will (or may) happen soon to supposed low carb products thereby negating the validity of the real LCHF lifestyle.
While the majority of us cannot grow our own meat, fish, veggies or coconuts we can endeavour to find whole, raw ingredients where we can and just do our best to live with our condition in the best way we can.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gandhi's politics of satyagraha (non-violence)

Thread derailment time. Hopefully not too much...

I thought Satyagraha was all about a quest for truth, or the struggle to remain faithful to the truth? I'd like to know as one of my favourite pieces of music is from Satyagraha by Philip Glass. Not that the philosophy that inspired it would really change my appreciation of it, but I'd like to think I haven't been spouting nonsense on the few occasions I've been asked what the hell I'm listening to!

Back on topic, I can't tell if you are looking for a pros/cons argument of LCHF or are deciding it it's applicable to you?

Re the idea that LCHF is some kind of marketing ploy, I find that highly implausible. If you can think of a particular industry which would benefit and why, I'd be interested in your theory.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went into my Polish delicatessen looking for low carb bread and found that they had various seeds which might be useful in future. Being a year past getting down to non diabetic levels, and almost a year of normal readings I thought I might try some of the higher carb foods and do a bit of baking - the purple of psyllium husks is rather a shock to the eye though.
The bread is labelled protein, rather than low carb, and the seed packets are all in Polish, so I can see I will be needing to do some research in the near future. There are options for medium carbs which could be useful long term elements of diabetes control.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thread derailment time. Hopefully not too much...

I thought Satyagraha was all about a quest for truth, or the struggle to remain faithful to the truth? I'd like to know as one of my favourite pieces of music is from Satyagraha by Philip Glass. Not that the philosophy that inspired it would really change my appreciation of it, but I'd like to think I haven't been spouting nonsense on the few occasions I've been asked what the hell I'm listening to!

Back on topic, I can't tell if you are looking for a pros/cons argument of LCHF or are deciding it it's applicable to you?

Re the idea that LCHF is some kind of marketing ploy, I find that highly implausible. If you can think of a particular industry which would benefit and why, I'd be interested in your theory.

I'm not agreeing that its a Marketing ploy but I have seen a lift in low carb items like breads and cauliflower rice - you can buy bags frozen in Morrison's.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm not agreeing that its a Marketing ploy but I have seen a lift in low carb items like breads and cauliflower rice - you can buy bags frozen in Morrison's.

I think Keto dieting is starting to become "trendy" - although Atkins doesn't seem to be very visible.

Most items recently seem to be "lower carb" although Burgen Soy&Linseed at 27 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams looks to be a good effort. Even tastes like real bread, which is dangerous.

The strength of Low Carbohydrate is that it fits in with buying fresh meat, dairy and vegetables and tends to rule out most seriously processed food.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to eat low carb and include processed foods such as shakes, baked goods and bought bread, pizza bases and wraps.

Or people can choose the low carb un-processed 'Real Food' route.

They can both be low carb, but one feeds the processed food industry with profits, while the other feeds our bodies with actual healthy foods, prepared at home, without unnecessary chemicals, preservatives and flavourings.

We get to choose which route we take, how much we spend, and how much effort we go to with our own food prep.

You can guess which option I prefer. :D

Reactions: rom35