Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My motivation was purely selfish!
My health!
It has nothing to do with the food industry, pharmaceutical companies or the health service of this country!
I have tried everything in order to get my life back!
I have been given advice from every part of the health industry to eat healthy!
Well, the simple fact is, that words like healthy, normal and treatment are in my individual case is totally wrong!

My motivation is my health! The only lifestyle I can have success with is a very low low carb lifestyle. If I don't, I am ill, with severe symptoms and effects my organs.

LCHF works, regardless of political arguments or who benefits from the lifestyle.

Best wishes

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
buying whole, fresh foods instead
Does buying whole fresh foods mean you only buy meat and vegetables. I find it quite difficult not to buy some processed foods because practically all food is processed in some way it is not just junk food

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fasting is good for you!
Your body naturally copes with the lack of food.
It does need nutrition but not at the levels usually attributed to a healthy diet.

Portion size is of course important.
The amount of food we consume regularly is far too much.
There is a few sayings.
For instance,
Everything in moderation!

I fast nearly every day, I don't eat regular meals, I eat when I want and what I want that won't effect my health. I try and not think about food, it can become obsessive.

Little and not often! (It works!)

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I discovered low carbing by accident. I have said this many times before on this forum. I used to cook bacon butties for myself and my son for breakfast each day. One day I didn't have enough bread for both of us, so gave him the butties. I just had the same amount of bacon as usual with a little butter. I was normally starving hungry and snacking by 10 am and had lunch at 12. Imagine my amazement then when I looked at the clock and it was 1pm and I still wasn't hungry! It didn't make sense that I could eat less and feel more satisfied. I left bread out of my diet for a while, then followed by leaving out flour products, cereals, potatoes and rice. I had been dieting for years, so sugar was already off the menu. You don't need willpower, you don't eat more, it's the carbs that make you hungry.

Do you mean that bacon and butter are part of low carb diet? I would not choose them even if they were.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean that bacon and butter are part of low carb diet. I would not choose them even if they were.
They are both low carb so yes they can be eaten as part of a low carb diet. You don't have to eat them of course, there's plenty of low carb things to choose from.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Does buying whole fresh foods mean you only buy meat and vegetables. I find it quite difficult not to buy some processed foods because practically all food is processed in some way it is not just junk food

Of course I have to buy some processed foods like psyllium or ground almonds (although I have just bought a food processor so that I can buy the cheaper by weight whole almonds and make the flour myself) and I buy low carb bread for the family but, yes, I buy meat and veggies and my food bills have gone down as a consequence. There is no more impulse buying.

Reactions: zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do you mean that bacon and butter are part of low carb diet. I would not choose them even if they were.

I buy dry cured bacon and good quality butter every week. May I ask why you prefer not to eat these, is it purely a matter of taste?

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I’ve been lchf for about 4 weeks now lost a stone and my bg average is about 5.7 lovin the low carb diet . Meat , meat eggs meat green stuff fish meat mushrooms
Cheese cream . Oh did I mention meat ,, bit of fruit
Target is 2 stone by June and average bg around 5.4

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean that bacon and butter are part of low carb diet? I would not choose them even if they were.

May I ask what you use instead of butter, and when you fry or roast, what do you use for that?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My argument is: There is no substitute to self-control, and that requires very "strong" motivation.
Hi Tsouza,
This sounds more like your describing an eating disorder than an beneficial change in diet.

Just now you say your life is consumed by reading labels and counting carbs, "it has been an utterly unmotivating experience for me"
If your getting no pleasure from what your eating then it's going to be a chore for anyone.
I would go so far as to say imposable for anyone to stick to.

" Find out what you like to eat that is good for you and eat more of it, cut out/stop the other stuff."

Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to and a paradigm shift in thinking from what I can't have to what I can have but even then after a couple of weeks of reading labels you should build up a suitable go-to food catalogue, that cuts down on all the work.

Go-to food catalogue:bookworm:
I don't reach for a jar of Sweet & Sour sauce and check the sugar/carb content on the back because I have already ruled this out as option for me so never have to read the back of that label ever again.(no matter the brand)

Restraint and self-control goes against the grain of market culture.
Of course companies want to make money and don't care how they do it.

"low can diet is yet another market-friendly charade to let you eat without too many restraint on quantity."
Low Carb by definition is putting a restraint on the quantity you eat, other wise its not low.

Are saying its being marketed as an all you can eat life buffet because it's "low" carb?
If so then there's no need for you to follow the herd and do the same thing. ;)
:bag:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You mentioned you need to gain a bit of weight rather than lose any more. It is perfectly possible to do this on low carb. I lost all my excess weight well over 3 years ago and have maintained my ideal weight ever since, all on low carb. I am certainly not alone in this, plus there are many slim people on this forum that have never been overweight, and they manage low carb without losing any more.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would appreciate a link for this guide. I need to put on some weight at this moment.
You may find that a bit more difficult with low carb as you will see that most people say they have lost weight on it. I have always been slim and I did loose weight that I did not need to when I started to go low carb now I have to see I eat enough to maintain my weight and not loose more

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find that a bit more difficult with low carb as you will see that most people say they have lost weight on it. I

I just said in my post above, that I haven't found it hard at all. Once all my weight had gone all I did was increase foods such as eggs and cheese. It took a while to get a good balance, but but it wasn't hard.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear bulkbiker, I am not a contrarian missionary! I can only congratulate you for your motivation and your personal conditions to sustain it.
I believe that different persons will be motivated for different reasons. In the past the fires of hell motivated many to reduce fat for feeding those fires! The daily grind of each one can also limit individual motivations, however strong. That includes the need for me to do marketing for the family and preparing the food for the family members with diverse tastes and needs and routines.
OK so what way of eating did you follow before you tried low carb and is there something that stops you eating meat, fish and fats? Are you by any chance vegetarian? This kind of information is very useful when trying to help newcomers..

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just said in my post above, that I haven't found it hard at all. Once all my weight had gone all I did was increase foods such as eggs and cheese. It took a while to get a good balance, but but it wasn't hard.
When like me you see yourself loosing weight you did not need to I think it is more difficult to judge how much we need to eat to stop loosing more. I can loose weight so easily but find it really difficult to gain it but at least I have not lost any for a while now so must have the balance right

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When like me you see yourself loosing weight you did not need to I think it is more difficult to judge how much we need to eat to stop loosing more. I can loose weight so easily but find it really difficult to gain it but at least I have not lost any for a while now so must have the balance right
I seem to remember that adding some nuts helped?

Reactions: Bluetit1802