Low Carb diet with Low FAT instead,

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried it as in my opinion it would lead to hunger as fat helps to fill you up and provides your body with a source of energy. Having said that, I’m ultra low carb.

What’s your thinking about being low in fats as well as carbs?

I’m tagging @ickihun as I’m pretty sure she uses low fat as well as low carb.

Reactions: zand

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, I've found eating under 20g carbs with around 2/3 protein 1/3 fat works very well for me but not sure if it would suit others. I tend to eat mostly meat, dairy, green veg and nuts sticking to similar meals most days. Spent a few months changing my habits and been doing this for around six months and haven't felt hunger pangs or the need to binge on carbs.

By "low fat" do you mean lower fat versions of foods, such as low fat yoghurt/cheese/whatever? I believe a lot of those tend to replace the fat with sugars and carbs making them poor replacements for the real thing.

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I haven’t tried it as in my opinion it would lead to hunger as fat helps to fill you up and provides your body with a source of energy. Having said that, I’m ultra low carb.

What’s your thinking about being low in fats as well as carbs?

I’m tagging @ickihun as I’m pretty sure she uses low fat as well as low carb.

My BG's are really good when in low carb but my total cholesterosl both LDL , HDL , Trigs amd total Cholesterol shot up! so was wondering where anyone experience that and could Low Fat helps the LDL to be lower?

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me, I've found eating under 20g carbs with around 2/3 protein 1/3 fat works very well for me but not sure if it would suit others. I tend to eat mostly meat, dairy, green veg and nuts sticking to similar meals most days. Spent a few months changing my habits and been doing this for around six months and haven't felt hunger pangs or the need to binge on carbs.

By "low fat" do you mean lower fat versions of foods, such as low fat yoghurt/cheese/whatever? I believe a lot of those tend to replace the fat with sugars and carbs making them poor replacements for the real thing.

Nope.. low fat meaning i eat less good fats, no ways am touching low fat items as yes they replace it with sugars etc..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you lose weight when low carbing? Sometimes the cholesterol figures rise temporarily when you lose weight.

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you lose weight when low carbing? Sometimes the cholesterol figures rise temporarily when you lose weight.

yes i did but the BG shows amazing results especiallt HBA1C, already lowered my insulin drastically.. maybe the amount of insulin was the cause of not losing weight as much as others? jst worried on the cholesterol levels after 3 months on LCHF
Hopefullt the decrease in insulin will show better results in both weight loss and cholesterol eventually then..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes i did but the BG shows amazing results especiallt HBA1C, already lowered my insulin drastically.. maybe the amount of insulin was the cause of not losing weight as much as others? jst worried on the cholesterol levels after 3 months on LCHF
Hopefullt the decrease in insulin will show better results in both weight loss and cholesterol eventually then..
I wouldn't worry until the next set of results. Did you do a fasting cholesterol test? I know many practices say no need to fast, but I always do to make sure the test results aren't affected by what I had for breakfast that day.

Reactions: lefeilouss

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope.. low fat meaning i eat less good fats, no ways am touching low fat items as yes they replace it with sugars etc..
Hi Lefeilouss,
I hear exactly what your saying stay on a low carb diet and reduce the high fats part of LCHF.

The best way to do this is reduce the dairy fats butter, cream, milk, cheese and red meat also.
And exercise of course, cardio reduces cholesterol. ;)
:bag:

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with everyone saying are you losing weight? My total cholesterol has gone up since losing 2 stone on LCHF - but according to this helpful video I was watching the other day:
my ratios are now much improved with a very good HDL to trigs ratio - my HDL was too low before starting the diet even though I had a 'good' low total. I don't know what my trigs were doing when I was losing weight rapidly at the beginning of the year, but as my weight loss has slowed down now it's showing a good profile.

Edited to add - if you are losing weight, it's a worth a watch as he urges people not to worry about cholesterol results while weight loss is ongoing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol levels go up when losing weight - they are the molecules trucking the fats from place to place, and it is perfectly natural for that to happen.
Fats in the diet are not directly responsible for your body needing extra fat transport, but they do have an indirect effect, as by burning fat you tend to lose weight more easily due to feeling more energetic and upping activity levels.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with everyone saying are you losing weight? My total cholesterol has gone up since losing 2 stone on LCHF - but according to this helpful video I was watching the other day:
my ratios are now much improved with a very good HDL to trigs ratio - my HDL was too low before starting the diet even though I had a 'good' low total. I don't know what my trigs were doing when I was losing weight rapidly at the beginning of the year, but as my weight loss has slowed down now it's showing a good profile.

Edited to add - if you are losing weight, it's a worth a watch as he urges people not to worry about cholesterol results while weight loss is ongoing.
Thank you for sharing this video very interesting. My ldl had gone up last December after three stone weight loss I’m interested to see how it will be on my bloods in a couple of weeks now I’m stable at my ideal body weight.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Grateful has done LCLF. I did for a while, due to not initially believing that high fat could work. It took a lot of education and seeing others results for me to take the plunge in high fat (healthy natural fats).

Reactions: rom35 and zand