low carb how do you get your calories & lower protein

aard

I don't understand how you geg dnough calories ona low car diet and avoid too much protein.

a typical day for me
Bf half packet bacon
lunch fish/chicken ( 100 - 150g) plus plate salad eg spinnich, lettuce, tomatoes, pepper, egg etc
dinner same as lunch

acording to loseit app my calorie intake is usually 1200 - 1500 , well below recommended 2100.
My protein intake is usually around 100 - 150 grams which is above recomended 70 - 80g for my body weight.

If I add more meat my protein will go through roof
If I cut my meat to reduce protein my calorie count will go down even further.

Could eat more fat, but what without increasing protein?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type two diabetic protein and fat are fine, only our ability to deal with carbs is broken.
The recommendations for the various constituents of the Human diet are fine for those who are not diabetics, but we need to avoid the Eatwell plate and feed ourselves as best we can.
Isn't that recommended protein the minimum rather than the maximum though?

Reactions: woowoo82

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I add calories by having a coffee with cream. Also adding butter to veg.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Include Plenty of butter and coconut oil.
I have a bulletproof coffee every day, and have done for last 7 years. 30g butter + 30g coconut oil in a cup, microwave till liquid then add your favourite coffee and mix well. Best with a small battery whisk as it blends it together. You could add some double cream to it too. With my very low carb high fat diet I struggle to keep weight on, this coffee helps keep 1/4 to 1/2 stone on.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could eat more fat, but what without increasing protein?
Eat fattier cuts of meat.. chicken and fish are pretty high protein low fat.
Pork belly however is a totally different story!
Alternative is not to worry about protein intake.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The recommended protein intake was set as a minimal amount to not get sick. Many people have a lack of protein. If you eat to satiety with real food, the protein and fat will take care of itself. As you are doing low carb, the numbers set for the SAD diet are different anyway. Think of it this way, you are doing low carb, so you don't set your carb amounts at 250 grams, so why would your protein be the same as what was set as a minimum for war time soldiers to remain viable (not optimal).

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Unless it's because of a specific condition (and I can't think of a single one where people really have to cut protein), we don't cut Protein on Low Carb.
We cut Carbs and increase both Protein and Fats ( particularly natural and saturated fats).

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't eat a lot more protein but do have more fat - double cream, olive oil, butter plus some cheese.

aard

yeah ive been watching some interesting prorams from researchers into protein who say the 80g limit is rubbish and upto 220g will give you nutritional gains and after that just wasted.

Look like I will raise the amount of meat I eat!

the only downside fat will raise my cholestrial, and whereas I dont see that as a problem (so long as comes from natural stuff)it will lead to battles with my gp surgery who keep pushing for statins due to my high cholestral and i wont take them

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

the only downside fat will raise my cholestrial, and whereas I dont see that as a problem (so long as comes from natural stuff)it will lead to battles with my gp surgery who keep pushing for statins due to my high cholestral and i wont take them

I'm fairly certain that the few proper studies done on fats (as opposed to seed oils) in a Low Carb way of eating show that Sat Fat raises HDL lowers Triglycerides and may raise LDL.

Almost all medics will accept that higher HDL is good (or at least not bad) and that lower Triglycerides is good.
The area of contention is about the LDL, but even out of those who think LDL matters, many think that it is only the oxidised and glycated LDL that may be bad.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'm fairly certain that the few proper studies done on fats (as opposed to seed oils) in a Low Carb way of eating show that Sat Fat raises HDL lowers Triglycerides and may raise LDL.

Almost all medics will accept that higher HDL is good (or at least not bad) and that lower Triglycerides is good.
The area of contention is about the LDL, but even out of those who think LDL matters, many think that it is only the oxidised and glycated LDL that may be bad.
I think this thread sums up the issue. We are effectively terrified of fat and protein, due to the messaging over decades, which is why carbs are rampant. What is a shame is that the evidence is hypothetically driven,as apposed to repeatable, and although I am biased, every piece of negative "evidence" doesn't meet "their" own scientific threshold of 2, which by itself is only good enough to conduct a proper RCT or similar.

I believe the answer to the question is to increase fat with maybe cheese and or carbs such above ground vegetables or berries. My preference is high protein.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Increasing my intake of fat in the form of lamb pork beef etc as meat resulted in a decrease in cholesterol.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Try some full fat Mayo on your salad.
I use Hellmans because it seems to have a bit more egg in it.

My total cholesterol is high but the ratios are good so my GP is happy.
Allegedly most cholesterol in the blood is manufactured by the body from carbohydrates.