Low Carb Newbie

jamesholly82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys and gals, wanted a bit of advice.

Basically I'm just over the borderline threshold and class as t2.

So been reading up on the low carb diet, as a way to get my blood glucose level under control as well as hypertension, with the overall goal to lose weight. I'm. 6ft2 and 19 st.

So back to low carb diet, I've been reading various things where they say bannana are OK but on here I'm getting idea they are not. My breakfast is usually a frozen banana with a generous table spoon of meridian peanut butter with skimmed milk in a smoothie. Is this OK?

Today I did a Mexican scrambled eggs for breakfast and my energy levels are really low, I have been doing walks of around 5 miles daily, but today I can barely stay awake.

If I was to have carbs in a bannana in morning to give me a bit of energy boost before my walk, would that be OK?

Tbh if could just be that in this heat I slightly overdone the exercise and need a day off the walks.

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers
James

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

So been reading up on the low carb diet, as a way to get my blood glucose level under control as well as hypertension, with the overall goal to lose weight. I'm. 6ft2 and 19 st.

So back to low carb diet, I've been reading various things where they say bannana are OK but on here I'm getting idea they are not. My breakfast is usually a frozen banana with a generous table spoon of meridian peanut butter with skimmed milk in a smoothie. Is this OK?

Today I did a Mexican scrambled eggs for breakfast and my energy levels are really low, I have been doing walks of around 5 miles daily, but today I can barely stay awake.

If I was to have carbs in a bannana in morning to give me a bit of energy boost before my walk, would that be OK?

Tbh if could just be that in this heat I slightly overdone the exercise and need a day off the walks.

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers
James
Welcome to the forum, tagging @daisey1 for the welcome pack.

Bananas are a huge no no for T2. Milk contains lactose, sugar. The skinnier the milk the more carbs. Try double cream watered down. Peanut butter, read the label and work out how many carbs you are having.

Do you have a glucose meter?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @jamesholly82 and welcome to the forum! Bananas aren't good for T2s as they are high carb. I don't do smoothies, but maybe others can suggest a low carb smoothie - maybe avocado instead of banana?

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jamesholly82

Just re-tagging @daisy1 because there was a typo in the original. The welcome info has lots of useful info, but yes, bananas are very high in carbs. Can't really help with ideas, as my breakfasts are bacon and eggs, and then I sit down in front of a computer and have lots of coffee..!

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers
James
Hi James.

As above have already said banana's would be best to avoid though I would say if a bana is being used to replace white bread for example then go for the banana. It does contain a number of other nutrients such as B6 which is required in the body.

Banana's do contain around 25-35g (Size dependant) of carbohydrate so eating one would automatically put you over the threshold of a ketogenic (low carb) diet if eaten daily.

Meridian peanut should be fine, check the label but I believe they use 100% peanuts.

The milk I would say get rid of it. Skimmed milk out of the 3 has the highest sugar content and contains nearly no fat.

WIth regards to the lack of energy this could be due to a number of things.
- Are you under taking any calorie deficit?
- It could be your breakfast and the scrammbled eggs. While this may certinally be adequate calories your body would not be adapted to the fat intake and looking for instance gratification. This will take a little while for your body to adapt, more so if this is a new breakfast.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
A good starting point for eating low carb would be
Www.dietdictor.com
Lots of carb counted ideas there to help you as well as visual charts to help guide you too.
You may find you get lethargic too if you cut carbs very rapidly. Personally I cut carbs down over a few weeks to 20g per day to avoid keto flu
In addition some low carbers can eat more carbs than others but get similar results re blood glucose control. Best way to find out is to test your bloods before meals @nd two hours afterwards until you get to right number for you. Hope this helps

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
35950AE6-0E94-4DC3-B6C4-E06E0D0E13DF.jpeg
Hi James.

As above have already said banana's would be best to avoid though I would say if a bana is being used to replace white bread for example then go for the banana. It does contain a number of other nutrients such as B6 which is required in the body.

Banana's do contain around 25-35g (Size dependant) of carbohydrate so eating one would automatically put you over the threshold of a ketogenic (low carb) diet if eaten daily.

The carb count of white bread and bananas are not something many low carb Type 2s would entertain, they aren’t that different! I wouldn’t have a banana in place of bread. I personally only eat strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries from the fruit dept.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating the banana as a smoothie makes the carbs faster acting than ever - many diabetics find that a breakfast of bacon and eggs is a good start, along with mushrooms, tomatoes, or other low carb vege as that can help to stop the liver releasing glucose, if that is what it decides is a good thing. Sticking to low carb will change the metabolism over to burning fat, aka ketosis, and the lack of carbs will no longer matter.
I eat just twice a day, early and late, and have about 10 gm of carbs in the morning and 30 in the evening, though this is for weightloss - I got normal BG levels and Hba1c on 50gm of carbs a day, and now could eat more and stay normal, but as usual need to be strict to lose weight. I need to be strict just to maintain - always had to.
Today's dinner is to be chicken thighs cooked in the hot air fryer, and a big salad.

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
View attachment 27739

The carb count of white bread and bananas are not something many low carb Type 2s would entertain, they aren’t that different! I wouldn’t have a banana in place of bread. I personally only eat strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries from the fruit dept.

I don't disagree that if you can cut it out that would be great. However, the other nutritional value in the banana far outweighs white bread. If you wanted low carb diet completely I then agree remove the banana.

I did think bananas had a higher content or carbs, good to know those values.

jamesholly82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers all your responses, I think I will remove the banana, can always just have a peanut smoothie, would almond milk be a gd substitute for skimmed milk?

Prob start doing eggs, mushrooms etc for breakfast anyway, and can have bacon.

Just think it's a case of getting to know what foods are gd for low car, for ages I've had it in my that fat is bad. Almost a case of retraining my brain.

Reactions: Googie and Prem51

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers all your responses, I think I will remove the banana, can always just have a peanut smoothie, would almond milk be a gd substitute for skimmed milk?

Prob start doing eggs, mushrooms etc for breakfast anyway, and can have bacon.

Just think it's a case of getting to know what foods are gd for low car, for ages I've had it in my that fat is bad. Almost a case of retraining my brain.
Almond, soya, lactose free all better than milk. You have it right, retraining the brain is key.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alpro unsweetened almond milk is zero calories :)

smallsuzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am new here ...this is first post but generally finding the info overwhelming. T2...glucoes at 58 in may and somehow iv to bring the reading down by diet alone...no meter! Im trying lowcarb and virtually no sugar but finding it a long slog as not lost weight. Sorry if post in wrong place

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am new here ...this is first post but generally finding the info overwhelming. T2...glucoes at 58 in may and somehow iv to bring the reading down by diet alone...no meter! Im trying lowcarb and virtually no sugar but finding it a long slog as not lost weight. Sorry if post in wrong place
Hi @smallsuzie and welcome. You would be better to start a new thread, you will be able to keep track of it more easily.

Tell us how much weight you want to lose. You will get lots of help here.

smallsuzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im 12 stone 2...a loss of 3lb since mid may...eating at wrong times as on last week of studying but still no shift in weight

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im 12 stone 2...a loss of 3lb since mid may...eating at wrong times as on last week of studying but still no shift in weight
Start a new thread tell us your target weight. I started my journey in November with a score of 122, so while your 58 is definitely a lot better than I was.

You will be advised to fund your own meter and which are the cheapest.

If you're not sure how to start your own thread, shout out. I have to dash for my own HbA1c now!