Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
This is the real deal.

My wife makes a mean pizza for our kids using the bread machine to make the dough. I tried this version alongside theirs and in the interests of diabetes research compared it to a small slice of real pizza stolen from my son. The texture was pretty much identical. The best thing is that this is not a ''fake dough' solution but a vegetable one.

Slice an aubergine so that you get lots of disc shaped bits about half a centimeter thick put them on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake in a hot oven (I have a fan over and had it at 200c) for 10-15 minutes, turn them over half way through. The idea is that they firm up but don't get burnt/crisp.

Once out of the over leave for 5-10 minutes to cool.

Then treat them as the base; add tomato sauce, cheese, whatever toppings you want and bake them again until the cheese is melted.

They are fantastic. They are like mini-pizzas and I had one smallish aubergine to myself but wished it had been 3. They are great. The texture of the aubergine feels like a lovely thin crust doughy pizza base.

So, a pizza recipe for you amongst all the horrors and stresses of our modern world.

Now, if only I could find a low-carb lager things would be looking pretty good.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this, I'm going to try it.

I already make lasagne with aubergine layers and that's wonderful.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have had these and they are really, really tasty! I salt mine for half an hour first to extract some of the moisture.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
This is the real deal.

My wife makes a mean pizza for our kids using the bread machine to make the dough. I tried this version alongside theirs and in the interests of diabetes research compared it to a small slice of real pizza stolen from my son. The texture was pretty much identical. The best thing is that this is not a ''fake dough' solution but a vegetable one.

Slice an aubergine so that you get lots of disc shaped bits about half a centimeter thick put them on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake in a hot oven (I have a fan over and had it at 200c) for 10-15 minutes, turn them over half way through. The idea is that they firm up but don't get burnt/crisp.

Then treat them as the base; add tomato sauce, cheese, whatever toppings you want and bake them again until the cheese is melted.

They are fantastic. They are like mini-pizzas and I had one smallish aubergine to myself but wished it had been 3. They are great. The texture of the aubergine feels like a lovely thin crust doughy pizza base.

So, a pizza recipe for you amongst all the horrors and stresses of our modern world.

Best

Dillinger
OOH !! thanks for the recipe will be making this week .:hungry:

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try lasagne made with sheets of leek instead of pasta

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the real deal.

Best

Dillinger
Ooh, that does sound good! I've just bought some aubergines so might give it a go. I've been making a cauliflower pizza crust and that's great, but a lot of faff.

Thank you!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ooh, that does sound good! I've just bought some aubergines so might give it a go. I've been making a cauliflower pizza crust and that's great, but a lot of faff.

Thank you!
I keep asking myself "Am I being too lazy to make low carb basics. Like pizza bases and bread and puddings"?
I've grown up in a ready-made food world so I feel I deserve the same for my diabetes. I wish the manufacturers would hurray up and catch up. ;)

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel your pain @ickihun. Two make matters worse I absolutely can't stand egg plant (aubergine) or zucchini. I've tried them all kinds of ways and they just don't agree with me. I broke down and had 3 slices of "real" pizza from the local pizza maker this weekend. My blood sugars hated me for it but I sure enjoyed it. So if I only have pizza every two to three months (and no other "junk" food like McDonald's) I think my body will just have to accept that.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried this recipe and I couldn't get it to work! It was absolutely delicious but the aubergine just didn't crisp up - it just stayed lovely and soft. I salted it for 30 mins before cooking it and put the slices onto hot baking sheets. Maybe it's because I have a gas oven rather than a fan?

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In Canada we call aubergine by the name eggplant. The recipe sounds like moussaka, a Greek dish. Yummy.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Joseph's low carb pita breads as a pizza base................works well, and about 4 grams of carbs, so makes 8-10 grams of carbs with a bit ot tomato paste. I get them from Amazon, and can highly recommend - very little BG spike.

Issy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get low carb pitta bread off the internet, they are only small, but it's almost a thin and crispy pizza! And it's very tasty

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app