WhitbyJet

I am going to try this recipe, but usually make my own pasta sheets using the recipe with psyllium husks, it works really well.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
new recipies i have tried this week - tofu macaroni cheese - was very yummy! even boyfriend liked it :shock:

cauliflower mash - yummmmyyyyy...have to make a cottage pie now using it....boyfriend liked it too :shock: :shock:

the takeaways in his area are going to have a shock!!! :)

WhitbyJet

Perfect Oopsies

The original Oopsie recipe - adapted

3 eggs, separated
100g Philadelphia (you could use Philly with herbs)
salt - optional
1 tbsp psyllium husks
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds

Preheat oven to 150C, line and grease a baking tray

Whisk eggwhites until very stiff (you know they are stiff when you do the upside down test = turn the bowl upside down and the eggwhites stay put, kids think its hilarious testing this over Dad's head!!)

Mix egg yolks with the cream cheese, add salt, make sure mixture is smooth
Now tip the yolk/cheese mixture on top of the stiff eggwhites
Add psyllium husks and flaxseeds on top
Carefully fold everything into the egg whites

Place 9 dollops onto a greased, lined baking tray
Bake on 150C for 30 minutes

Top with whatever you want, eg sour cream and smoked salmon, few snipped fresh chives or dill or if you omit the salt and use plain cream cheese you can use a sweet topping, eg low carb lemon curd, or clotted cream with berries, cream with cinnamon, or sprinkle herbs on top before baking, eg chopped rosemary is nice, possibilities are endless

Click on the link for step by step photos, well worth trying out for yourselves
http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=188&start=180

PS: They freeze well.

WhitbyJet

Aubergine Cheesecake

Aubergine Cheesecake

90ml olive oil
2 small aubergines, cut into 2cm thick slices
Salt and black pepper
150g feta
150g cream cheese
60ml double cream
3 eggs
150g baby plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthways
2 tbsp picked oregano leaves, torn (you could use fresh Basil & some dried oregano instead)
¾ tsp za'atar (optional) >>from Asian/Arab shops or online

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5. Line with foil the base and sides of a deep, 19cm square baking tin (or a round, 22cm diameter dish), then brush lightly with oil.

Lay the aubergine slices on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and brush all over with four tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast in the hot oven for 40 minutes – the aubergines need to go soft and golden. When cooked, remove, set aside to cool, and lower the oven to 150C/300F/gas mark 2.

Put the feta, cream cheese, cream, eggs and some pepper in a bowl and whisk until smooth and thick.

Arrange the aubergine neatly in the baking tin – the slices should fill up the tray as they lean against each other, almost standing on their sides. Fill the gaps with tomatoes and sprinkle over half the oregano.

Pour in just enough of the cheese mix to leave some aubergine and tomatoes exposed, sprinkle over the remaining oregano and bake for 30 minutes, or until the "custard" sets. Leave the cake to cool down to room temperature, then remove it from the tin and cut into four squares (or into wedges, if using a round dish). Before serving, gently brush all over with za'atar mixed with a teaspoon of olive oil, or just olive oil.

• Yotam Ottolenghi is chef/patron of Ottolenghi.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ottolenghi

Attachments

• AubergineCheesecake.jpg
    AubergineCheesecake.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 3,074
Reactions: 2 people

BlindFaith

I made mini quiches using the recipe that Hanadr posted in http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31956&start=15 this thread and added my own things in and they look (and taste, I just had one!) delicious!!

uFfo5.jpg

My recipe is:
4 eggs
1 cup milk (I used the Lactofree milk but there's not much difference in calories between that and regular semi skimmed milk I think)
1 cup cream (I used Alpro soy cream so I don't know how much real cream would affect the nutritional values)
1/4 cup grated cheese
3 chipolata sausages
4 rashers streaky bacon

Mix everything together, spoon into (silicone!) muffin trays and cook for 20 minutes at 180c.
I got 12 mini quiches out of this recipe with the following nutritional values:

Calories - 115
Fat - 11g
Saturated Fat - 3g
Protein - 7g
Carbohydrates - 2g

I had meant to put some milled flaxseed in the mixture for added fiber and totally forgot; but next time I will and I'll recalculate the values then.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
I love both Swedes and Turnips but have avoided them due to being root vegetables and so have never tested after eating them as I haven't eaten them for years but I notice that there are recipes for both on this site. When I googled their nutritional values, for sweded it stated 5 - 8.47g carbs per 100g when cooked and for turnips 3.5g carbs per 100g. Are many people here able to eat them without their B/G levels rising?, thanks.

BlindFaith

Re: Jahusba's Microwave Flax Roll/Muffin

Serena51 said:
the closest thing to a doorstop sarnie I've had for ages. On Youtube,found an Atkins induction friendly flax bread recipe that you make in the microwave. Doubled the recipe, cooked in a microwave saucepan, in just 4 minutes it rose up into what looked like a huge muffin(not the cake sort)Split in...

Second attempt wasn't quite as good, didn't mix it well enough so ended up with pieces of 'omelette' in it.

In a flat bottomed bowl (ramekin shape but bit bigger, used a mug today) melt 1 tbsp of butter, mix in 2 tbsp of ground flax,1 egg and 1/2 tsp of baking powder. MIX WELL. Cook for 2 minutes in microwave, should be dry on top when cooked.
I doubled quantities and cooked for 4 minutes and made a lovely huge 'bap/muffin'.

I made this this morning and tweaked it a bit and it was amazing!!
Even hubby enjoyed it :D

I added the following:-
1 teaspoon Splenda
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
And a scant teaspoon of clear honey (I put this over the top as it was cooking)

Hubby said it reminded him of the sweet cornbread I used to make.
I had a smidgen of peanut butter on one slice which was nice; I imagine it would be really nice with a sugar free jam.

WhitbyJet

Re: Low Carb Recipes=

diadeb said:
I love both Swedes and Turnips but have avoided them due to being root vegetables and so have never tested after eating them as I haven't eaten them for years but I notice that there are recipes for both on this site. When I googled their nutritional values, for sweded it stated 5 - 8.47g carbs per 100g when cooked and for turnips 3.5g carbs per 100g. Are many people here able to eat them without their B/G levels rising?, thanks.

diadeb, turnips and swedes are low carb, it depends on how much you eat, they dont move my bg levels, I suggest you eat some and test to see what effect these vegetables have on you.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi W/J, many thanks for the reply, I had decided that I would try them after shopping and test to see how I go. I particularly like the idea of chips and rosti's made with them, Deb

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Also W/J, thanks for the Aubergine Cheesecake recipe, it looks lovely and I am definately go to try it, Deb

angua

A big thank you to Whitby Jet whose recipe for scones I tried on Saturday -

I had been feeling a little hard done by so I decided a little treat was in order, I counted my carbs carefully so that I could go all out with scones & cream but I didn't get as far as I thought :?

Seriously they are very yummy with strawberries & cream and unbelievably filling
I was going to have two but when it came down to it I really could only manage one (unheard of 'cos I can be a pig :oops: )

Anyway fab recipe WJ - next time I might incorporate some cheese :shifty:

Gilly xx

WhitbyJet

Oh thank you for the feedback, I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I (and my family) do.

Stay healthy, all the best x x

WhitbyJet

Romanian Pork Schnitzel

Prepare the coating for the meat, this mixture can also be used for fish/fish fingers
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2cup parmesan
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of parsley flakes, dried
salt and freshly ground pepper
Mix all these together

1 egg, beaten

2 Pork escalopes or steaks, could use chicken breasts if you prefer
Clarified Butter
2 Onions
2 red peppers
130ml cream
Salt, Pepper, Bouillon Powder, Paprika (plus Cayenne Pepper if liked)
1 tsp tomato puree
Optional, xanthan gum if you wanted to have a thicker sauce

Melt clarified butter in a pan, add sliced onion rings, sautee for 10 minutes until golden but not browned, add peppers, cut into strips, cook for a further 5 minutes until peppers are cooked, add seasings, give them one stir then pour in the cream. Turn off the heat and keep warm.

Place meat between 2 sheets of clingfilm, then with a rolling pin 'beat' it up to make it thinner
Dip the meat into beaten egg, then in the crumb coating, fry in hot clarified butter on medium heat until cooked and golden brown.
Serve with the creamy pepper sauce and a huge colourful salad.

Attachments

• Meat.jpg
    Meat.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,855
  • Sauce.jpg
    Sauce.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2,817

angua

Cauliflower Cheese Soup

I head Cauliflower - medium (5-6")
500 ml Waitrose Cooks Ingredients - Organic Chicken Stock
1 pack (6oz) Gruyere,
150 ml Fresh Double Cream,
Black Pepper & Salt to taste

Reduce Chicken Stock to 300ml
Place Cauliflower florets into stock and simmer until tender
Blend Cauliflower into stock and when cooled a little add the Cream & Gruyere
Stir through thoroughly, taste for seasoning

Serves 4

per portion:
413 Cals
9 Carbs
33 Fat
21 Protein
4 Fibre

I was going to have this as a fasting day meal, but it was so nice I ended up having two more servings :oops:
On the very positive side my bg after this meal was 5.9 :clap: a whole 10 points down from my normal after dinner reading :D

BlindFaith

I made the Flammkuchen tonight and it was lovely!!
Hubby really enjoyed it as well; even if we could only salvage half of it....It stuck to the greaseproof paper... :eh:

Going to try it with different toppings as it makes a REALLY good alternative to pizza.

WhitbyJet

BlindFaith said:
I made the Flammkuchen tonight and it was lovely!!
Hubby really enjoyed it as well; even if we could only salvage half of it....It stuck to the greaseproof paper... :eh:

Going to try it with different toppings as it makes a REALLY good alternative to pizza.

Oh Natalie, thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed the Flammkuchen, it is a lovely recipe, of course its ok to vary the toppings.
Sorry it was sticking to the greaseproof paper, if you have a non-stick or silicone tray you dont need paper, but you do need to grease the tray really well. Hope it works better next time.

All the best x x

BlindFaith

I'm really sorry as I can't remember who posted this recipe but it came out really well and hubby says it reminds him of the cake part of a Cherry Bakewell Tart - so I'm trying it tonight with no added sugar strawberry jam and whipped cream later tonight!

Flourless Almond Cake

I'll update this later when I've made it a bit more Bakewell-y!
:D

Edited to add:
Almond Bakewell Cake

It was DELICIOUS!!

A

Anonymous

Canadian Crustless Quiche

Ingredients:
4 rashers of Bacon
6 medium mushrooms
3 spring onions
1/2 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
1 ripe tomato (sliced)
1/2 tbsp butter
4 medium eggs
3/4 cup double cream

Pre-heat your over to 180 deg C
In a cold frying pan put your bacon rashers in (medium heat). Fry until crisp and then place on a paper towel to cool. Slice you onions (including the green part), slice your mushrooms and fry the mushrooms in the butter. When your bacon is cool, chop it in to 1/2" pieces and put it in the bottom of an 8" pie dish.
Sprinkle on the spring onions and the cheese and then the mushrooms, followed by the slices of tomato.
Beat the eggs and add the cream to them - season with salt and pepper - then beat them some more. Pour this over the other ingredients in the pie dish and bake for half an hour or until firm.

Serve warm or cold. Serves 4.

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Have just made the above quiche - and its fantastic! :D Hubby was very happy when i made it just in time for lunch - thanks Swimmer!!