Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my first recipe post so apologies for any mistakes or if it is too simple :|

Stuffed Mushrooms

1 x Large breakfast mushroom
Butter
Garlic granules - *I know these are high in carbs but you only need a tiny bit and work better for me in this.
cheese of choice
Pine nuts

Fill the mushroom/s with a slice of butter, sprinkle with garlic granules and top with the cheese. Then you can either grill or microwave the mushroom.

Lightly crush the pine nuts and sprinkle on top and place under the grill to brown. Lovely with a big juicy steak.

llandudno1960

totally agree great thread that creamy cabbage sounds good will be trying that for sure other good ideas above that i am going to try just what ive been after some good ideas but not too elaborate ta :!:

WhitbyJet

White Bread

1 loaf = 12 slices @ 1.8 carbs per slice

150 g Quark
4 eggs, medium
pinch sweetener
120 g ground almonds
120 g Gluten
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 - 2 pinches of salt

Prehat oven to 160C (fan assisted)
Mix quark and eggs together, add rest of ingredients and knead thoroughly.
Line and then grease a small loaf tin, fill with the dough, smooth the top, bake for 35 Minutes.

See the photo here: http://soulfoodlowcarberia.blogspot.co. ... ibrot.html

Lovely toasted with butter and sugarfee jam/marmalade

WhitbyJet

Chicken Teriyaki

3/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 cup Mayonnaise
6 chicken breast portions, boneless

Mix soy sauce with mayonnaise in a bowl, add chicken, cover with the mixture, leave to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, I actually left it for 2hrs.
Place chicken under the grill, spread thickly with the marinade, grill 10 minutes each side.

I served this with a huge mixed salad and oriental cauliflower rice (= seasoned wih coconut, lime and lemongrass)

Original recipe and photo: http://www.myfridgefood.com/viewrecipe.php?recipe=1597

A

Anonymous

Whitby, when you say 120g Gluten for the bread, what do you mean ? (and where do I get it?)

WhitbyJet

Re: Re gluten

maggie2 said:
Hi Whitby jet Is gluten flour suitable?

maggie2 - hmmmm I think gluten flour is gluten and not ordinary flour, any nutritional info on the bag/box??
Quark in France would be fromage blanc, they probably think you are German if you are asking for quark :lol: :lol:

maggie2

Hi Judith I just read the blog on the bread and one person said it collapsed after a while on itself. have you tried it yet?
Another said they made it in a muffin tin??????????? It looks really good from the photo. Can get fromage blanc no trouble at all.
Thanks for that. Am sitting on the fence at the moment to see how anyone fares :)

A

Anonymous

still confused.. I can find Gluton Flour online (Vital Wheat Gluten Flour) but it says it's for fish bait :shock:

WhitbyJet

maggie2 - I baked it and it turned out ok, didnt collapse but still not like the real bread that we are used to, if you wanted to have that you would have to bake the one from the NZ website. I have posted about it many times, but you need a breadmaker for that.
The bread in question here is good for toasting, we liked it, but like most low carb breads made with baking powder its more cake like in comparison to bread made with yeast dough.

swimmer - I have sent you a PM with a couple of links, dont buy fish food :lol: :lol:

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Thanks to swimmer2 for the Canadian Quiche recipe, it was lovely, Deb x

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Onion Bhaji's

These are not massively low carb but are very very filling so you could probably make them smaller and make more

Makes 5 Bhaji's
Carbs: 5.5 each

100g Ground almonds
2 Eggs separated
50ml Double cream
1.5 medium Onions - halved and finely sliced
1 tsp Salt
1 Green chilli - finely chopped (seeds removed if required)
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric

Roast the cumin seeds in a dry, medium hot pan until they start to smell fragrant. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Mix together the ground almonds, cumin seeds, turmeric, salt, baking powder and chopped chillis. Beat in the egg yolks and cream.

Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the almond mixture.

Separate the onion slices and gently fold into the almond batter a third at a time until all the onion is incorporated.

Cover the bottom of a frying pan with groundnut oil to about half a cm depth and put over a low to medium heat. Using a dessertspoon, fry spoonfuls of batter on both sides until deep brown and crisp. Serve hot and sizzling straight from the pan sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander.

WhitbyJet

Hungarian Letscho

1 tin chopped tomatoes
Pack of mixed peppers, you need about 6 peppers - Economy mix will do, halved, cut into slices
2 red chili peppers, finely sliced - if you dont want the heat, use an extra pepper instead
2 spanish onions, halved, then cut into slices
4 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
250ml sour cream (optional, makes the dish richer)
2 - 3 tsp Paprika
1 tsp sweetener
Olive oil & butter for frying (4-6 tbsp)
parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp thyme and rosemary, optional
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube

Melt butter and olive oil in a large pan, fry onion until soft and translucent and ever so slightly golden, but not browned. Add tomatoes, garlic, paprika, stock cube and herbs, simmer uncovered for 10 - 15 minutes.
Take off the heat, leave to cool for a few minutes, stir in soured cream if using.

Serve with fried fish, chicken breasts, pork fillet or sausages and new potatoes or cauli rice, depends on how low carb you want to be.

Attachments

• Letscho.jpg
    Letscho.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 2,522
A

Anonymous

That looks rather Lush WhitbyJet, I'm drooling just looking at it :lol:

Think i'll give this a try tomorrow or over the weekend

Thanks

Sharon xx

B

badcat

Had great fun today coming up with recipies to use up a glut of home grown courgettes & yellow Patty Pan squahes - they turned out quite nice so thought I'd share

1) Courgette & coconut muffins / fritters

Mix together about 200g grated courgette ( drain after grating to get rid of water)
30 g coconut flour
1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp xylitol
30g sunflower seeds
1 egg
enough water or soya cream to bind

Either fry dollops in butter / coconut oil as fritters (makes 5-6 fritters) or else bake in the oven using a silicone muffin tray or loaf pan
for 5 servings - 4.8g cho, 2.9g fibre and 83 cals a time

2) Courgette, Patty Pan, Mushroom and Spinach curry

500g courgettes, chopped
2 patty pan (350g), chopped ( like yellow courgettes but bigger and meatier)
1 bag spinach
1 can tomatoes
100g Pataks Jalfrezi curry paste
1 onion, chpopped
2 tsp low sodium soya sauce
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 bunch coriander
2 Tbsp rice bran oil
1 can half fat coconut milk

500g mushrooms, chopped
Fry the onion and curry paste in the oil with 2 cloves garlic
Add the courgerttes and Patty pan, then the tomatoes and soya sauce
cook until veg are softening, add the chopped mushrooms and spinach
Before serving add the lemon juice and chopped coriander
Serves 6
14g cho, 6g fibre, 220 cals

3) Courgette, Leek,Almond & Sunflower Seed loaf

5 eggs
60g flaked almonds
100g goats cheese
150g leek ( chopped)
35g sunflower seeds
500g courgettes ( grated and drained)
25g butter

Fry the courgettes, leek, sunflower seeds & almonds in the butter
Whizz the eggs and cheese with a hand blender
Put the courgette mixture in a silicone loaf pan, pour the eggs over the mixrute and bake in the oven fo around 20 mins

Serves 6, 4.5g ch0, 2.3g fibre, 255 cals

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Creamy Chicken

Serves 2 - generous portions
Carbs: 6 per portion
Cals: 748 per portion

200g chicken - raw or cooked
200ml double cream
100g mushrooms - sliced
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp oil

If using raw chicken, fry in the oil until cooked, then add mushrooms.

If using cooked chicken fry the mushrooms in the oil.

Whisk the egg yolk in the cream until well mixed. Add all other ingredients into the pan and lower the heat. Make sure not to scramble the egg yolk or curdle the cream.

Really tasty!

You can add all kinds of other ingredients to mix this up a bit. Nice with bacon lardons.

WhitbyJet

Faux-Rice Pudding

Chocolate Faux-rice pudding:
100 grams Ricotta Cheese - drained
1 egg
1 tbsp double cream
vanilla
cinnamon & Splenda to taste
1tsp cocoa powder

mix ricotta, egg, and cream till thuroughly blended
add vanilla, then cinnamon, cocoa, and splenda to taste

micorwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring once, then drag a fork through, criss cross to give you rice grains texture, stir in more cream to make it into creamy rice pudding

This makes a lovely chocolatey style custard. The ricotta adds a texture which is similar to rice, but dont be tempted to substitute with cottage cheese, its too salty tasting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faux-rice pudding:
1 cauliflower, large
200ml double cream
1 tbsp protein powder
20g Butter
sweetener
cinnamon
vanilla
tiny pinch of salt

Grate the cauliflower to resemble rice grains, for this recipe its best not to grate the stems, they have a strong taste (save them and make soup or cheesy cauli mash or fritters later). Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water, careful you dont overcook or it will go mushy, you want a little bit of bite. Drain well. Dont cook this in the miccrowave because the water helps to get rid of the cauliflower taste.
Mix the cream, sweetener, protein powder and vanilla, make sure there are no lumps, add a tiny bit of salt and the rice, heat through, dont boil. Mix some more granular sweetener with a little cinnamon and sprinkle over your rice pudding.
Melt butter in a pan until it begins to brown, pour over the rice and serve.

Its comfort food!!

Reactions: 2 people

WhitbyJet

Low Carb Risotto

Its possible to make delicious risotto using the ever so versatile cauliflower...

First you need to make the sauce, quite thick, for example if you make a mushroom risotto:

Fry onion until golden, add sliced mushrooms, fry until lightly brown, add dried porcini mushrooms (if you use them they need soaking in water first), add philadelphia cheese or double cream, finely chopped parsley, a little finely grated lemon peel. This will give you a thick, slightly gooey sauce.
Grate a raw cauliflower to resemble rice grains, cook in the microwave without adding any water on high for about 5 - 6 minutes, add a few splashes of Maggi liquid seasoning, little bit of salt and butter and stir into the mushroom sauce, top with freshly grated parmesan.

Do the same with a ham and leek risotto, or creamy pumpkin risotto etc - it really does make a lovely risotto that doesnt taste like cauliflower at all.