1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Carb Recipes

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by sugarless sue, Nov 16, 2008.

1. vit90

vit90 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Carb values can be affected by food processing but exactly how much is very difficult to establish without a laboratory. For example, pasta cooked, cooled and re-heated can sometimes be less glycemic than freshly cooked pasta (not sure of the calorie effect) and in another example it's widely believed that the standard calorific value of nuts can vary depending on how much the nut is broken down by cooking and chewing. These may apply to other ingredients but there is no hard data. The basic figures will never under-estimate values so it's safe to use them.

2. shedges

shedges Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @gemma6549 and @vit90 ... Will start off simple and see how it goes.

3. IncyWincy

IncyWincy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Found this in the latest ASDA mag.

Celeriacsoup.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. IncyWincy

Another celeriac recipe from BBC Good Food January 2014.

CCF04042015.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Venta

Venta Prediabetes · Active Member

Sounds yum! Have just copied and will have a go asap! Thanks.

6. Suercc

Suercc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just had a pancake for breakfast. Cream cheese beaten egg, cinnamon, xylitol and berries Yum yum.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Venta

Venta Prediabetes · Active Member

** made it, loved it! Have now made another version - same recipe for chocolate bark stuff.
    After setting in the fridge, spread a layer of peanut butter to cover and put back in fridge.
    Make another batch of chocolate bark and spread that over the peanut butter - back to the fridge to set.

I haven't worked out the carbs yet, but shouldn't be too tricky.

8. IncyWincy

From April 2015 ASDA mag.

CCF11042015.jpg

9. IncyWincy

From September 2014 ASDA mag.

CCF11042015_0001.jpg

I have made this on several occasions now but add more parmesan and basil.

• Like Like x 2
    #869 IncyWincy, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  10. IncyWincy

Leylie's Ratatouille from A Year At Avoca, Gloss Publications.

Serves 6-8

Ingredients
    1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
    4-5 tablespoons fruity olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 fresh bay leaf
    1 red pepper, halved, de-seeded and thickly sliced
    1 yellow pepper, halved de-seeded and thickly sliced
    6-8 large very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1x 420g tin good quality plum tomatoes
    1 teaspoon tomato puree
    1 small aubergine, cut in half lengthwise, diced
    1 small courgette, green or yellow, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
    handful of basil leaves, torn
    1 tablespoon pitted black olives (optional)
    sea salt and black pepper

Method
    In a large heavy saucepan cook the sliced onion in the olive oil on a low heat for 6-8 minutes until softened and opaque in colour.

Add the crushed garlic, bay leaf, aubergine and peppers and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the tomatoes, the puree and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and a little sea salt.

Bring to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes after which time the peppers and aubergine will have softened.

Add the courgette and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Add the torn basil and black olives (if using) and check the level of seasoning.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Ellie-70

Ellie-70 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ellie's Ginger Nut Biscuits

Ingredients
    200g gound unsalted nuts (I use almonds or hazelnuts or a a bag of mixed nuts)
    50g Xylitol (or equivalent sweetener)
    I egg
    I level tsp baking powder
    1 or 2 level tsps of ground ginger (I use 2 tsps as I love a strong taste of Ginger)
    Few drops of vanilla essence or almond essence, if liked

Method
    • Heat oven to Gas Mark 5. Oil a large cookie sheet/baking tray very thoroughly as these biscuits will stick if you don't.
    • Combine ground nuts, baking powder, ginger and xylitol in a bowl and use a whisk to combine well.
    • Beat egg and essence together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix gently with your hand until mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl and forms one big ball. Nuts differ in how much liquid they absorb so you may have to add a little oil e.g. sunflower oil, or a drizzle or water to add enough moisture to bind all the ingredients together.
    • When ball is formed use a knife to cut it in half and then in quarters and so on until you get small pieces that you can roll in your hands to make a ball roughly 2 inches in diameter. Place balls on greased baking sheet and flatten with a fork to about 1/4 inch thick. I usually get about 14 biscuits from this but it will depend on what size you make each biscuits.
    • Place in oven and bake for ten minutes. Check biscuits at ten minutes and if they are lightly firm but still have some sponginess then they are ready. If they are still very soft leave in the often and check again after another 5 minutes.
    • When ready leave on the baking sheet for around five minutes as they will continue cooking on the hot tray. When they have firmed up a little more carefully remove from the baking sheet by sliding a spatula under each one and placing on a cooling rack.
    These biscuits have a soft, cake like texture and are not hard like shop brought Ginger Snap biscuits. I like this as I feel I am getting both a biscuit and a cake!

When biscuits are cold I keep mine in a ziplock bag for freshness - though they never last very long. If you don't like ginger then you could use cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg or whatever flavouring you like. I grind whole nuts myself in a food processor for freshness and improved flavour but using pre ground nuts is fine too.

• Like Like x 14
    #871 Ellie-70, Apr 17, 2015 at 3:57 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
  12. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

Cheese cake sounds fabulous but where do you get da Vinci syrup?

13. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

It sounds similar to the Jordan's Skinny Syrups I buy off eBay

14. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

Have looked it up can buy it from Amazon, but there's no ingredients info. How many carbs are in Skinny Syrups.

15. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Everything is zero; fat, sugar, protein...miniscule 5mg of sodium per fl. oz. Tried to take picture but phone camera won't focus...

I'll try with my Hudl later....that has good camera

#875 Sable_Jan, May 2, 2015 at 11:43 AM
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  16. Alisonjane10

Alisonjane10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @timerich,

The low carb megastore sells various flavours of Da Vinci syrups for around £6. They also stock other brands of syrup which are cheaper than the Da Vinci ones. I can't recommend the Walden Farms syrups I'm afraid. I've bought their chocolate Syrup & strawberry jam...both of which went straight in the bin. I know lots of coffee shops use Da Vinci syrups...both the normal & sugar free varieties. So, I reckon they must be pretty good quality.

Ali. X

• Like Like x 2
  17. IncyWincy

This is from the May ASDA magazine. I'm going to try it later this week but with chicken rather than prawns (not my favourite food).

CCI10052015.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. IncyWincy

This is from May BBC Good Food.

CCI10052015_0001.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mongolia

Mongolia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 8
  20. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Coconut Flour & Psyllium Flatbread

60gm Coconut Flour
    2 TBS Psyllium Husk (Australian TBS is 20ml)
    40gm Butter or Coconut Oil (I used butter)
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Gluten Flour (not in the original but i thought it might help 'hold' the mixture)
    250ml Boiling water
    Herbs/Spices to taste (I used garlic powder/oregano/chilli flakes)

Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk (I had to sieve my coconut flour)
    Melt the butter or oil in the boiling water then add to the dry ingredients & mix well.
    Divide into three equal balls & roll each out between 2 bits of baking paper to about 12cm across.
    Fry in a dry pan over a medium heat for 3-4 mins each side until golden.

Rather pancake like but really good :) A good lower protein alternative to the flax breads for those reaching their protein limits.
    As best I can figure out, each bread provides approx: 4gm NetCarb**, 10gm Fibre, 4gm Protein.

** The coconut flour I used had total carbs 11.35 less the fibre 7.35

Remember to drink a lot of water with it due to the high fibre count.

• Like Like x 6
    #880 Safi, May 12, 2015 at 11:58 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook