Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say, I was the most anti-cauliflower person ever.
Tried grated raw cauliflower instead of rice over the weekend.

Just grated, some spices & herbs in a dry frying pan. With a very good lamb curry (Obviously!)
I was amazed - for all you doubters out there, try it, it doesn't taste like school cauliflower, and is actually a nice change to have something rice like with a curry.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Some recipes for low carb wraps/tortillas
A

3 servings

6 egg

8 tbsp double cream

2 tbsp psyllium husks

Salt & pepper

Mix the ingredients in bowl with a spoon, add any spice of choice like chilli pepper, and make sure the psyllium husks are well mixed in. Heat up a frying pan with butter to medium heat and pour the mixture into the pan and fry it like a pancake and turn the wrap and fry it on the other side.

If you use greaseproof paper you can stack the wraps on a big plate also start with a paper on the plate.

B

2 or 4 servings

4 egg

100 ml crème fraiche

75 ml ground almond

50 ml psyllium husks

Heat the oven to 150 degrees. Whisk/beat the eggs fluffy (with an electric hand mixer or similar tool). Add the crème fraiche, ground almond and psyllium husks and whisk/beat it together. Leave to swell for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 2 or 4 buns; depending on how many you want or what size you want. Place the dough on a greased baking paper and place another greased baking paper on top of the dough and flatten the dough with a rolling pin (or something similar) to a thin layer suitable for a wrap/tortilla. Take of the top paper and make the wrap nice and even if needed. Bake for 15 minutes. Storage as before, remember you can store it in the fridge over night for next day use.

C (more paleo style)

8 midsize thin wraps

4 egg

2 tbsp coconut flour

6 tbsp olive oil (neutral taste)

6 tbsp water

2 pinches of salt

Whisk the eggs in a large jug or bowl (a jug would make it easier to pour the mixture into the pan) with an electric hand mixer or similar tool for a long time making them fluffy and whitish. Sieve/sift the coconut flour into the eggs; add olive oil, water and salt. Continue whisking the mixture, the texture should be somewhat runny, if not add some more water and whisk some more. Fry in a frying pan on medium heat and use butter or olive oil for frying. Make thin wraps and ensure that the mixture covers the whole pan, turn around and fry on the other side.

Reactions: 8 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PEFECT PIE CRUST & CORN BREAD

Hello lovely peoples

I have two links for you, one is just about the perfect low carb pie crust, ideal for sweet and savoury recipes (you can add herbs or sweetener to the recipe).
I made a steak pie using this crust, it turned out perfect.

http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/04/better-pie-crust/

The other link is for a corn bread, this is amazing, it tastes like the real thing, perfect to eat with your lunch time soup, or just as a nibble in between meals, even with a curry or fried breakfast.

http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/02/green ... cornbread/
Hi @WhitbyJet , the cornbread looks great. Do you know how many grams of almond flour are in the one cup? Want to try it tomorrow. Thanks.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Many thanks to modesty007 for posting the recipes for low carb wraps/tortillas. Has anyone tried them and if so which one tastes the best please, thanks

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chickpea flour pancakes (also known as gram flour )

These are delicious and filling, can be eaten hot or cold. Any leftovers make a great lunch the next day.

Makes about 8 pancakes

1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Pepper
1 teaspoon garam masala or any spices you fancy
Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
1/4 cup yogurt ( optional)

Add all your ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to make a pancake batter consistency. If it feels too thick, add a little more cold water.

This is optional but I like to add veg to the above batter...
Eg, finely chopped pepper, onion, spinach and grated cauliflower.

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a frying pan, keeping heat low - med.
Add about 2 tablespoons of pancake mixture, fry on both sides until golden brown.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They sound lovely - will have to try with my next curry I think.

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They sound lovely - will have to try with my next curry I think.

The batters really easy to make and keeps well in the fridge till the next day too! They go a long way... I had them for about 6 of my meals last week!

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The batters really easy to make and keeps well in the fridge till the next day too! They go a long way... I had them for about 6 of my meals last week!

Sound lovely. I miss having something carby with my curries so these should do nicely.

HA3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chickpea flour pancakes (also known as gram flour )

These are delicious and filling, can be eaten hot or cold. Any leftovers make a great lunch the next day.

Makes about 8 pancakes

1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Pepper
1 teaspoon garam masala or any spices you fancy
Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
1/4 cup yogurt ( optional)

Add all your ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to make a pancake batter consistency. If it feels too thick, add a little more cold water.

This is optional but I like to add veg to the above batter...
Eg, finely chopped pepper, onion, spinach and grated cauliflower.

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a frying pan, keeping heat low - med.
Add about 2 tablespoons of pancake mixture, fry on both sides until golden brown.

Enjoy
Hi @Rose28 , do you know what the carb count is for them?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have a recipe for a cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese please??
Hi

For cheese sauce, I just use a blender to combine cheddar, cream and water, then microwave it (don't let it boil!) with pepper and a smidge of mustard. It will get runnier when heated, so make it the texture of mayonnaise, and after heating it will be the thickness of double cream.

For cauliflower cheese, I don't use a 'sauce'.
I boil the cauliflower, then roughly mash it.
Then I throw in grated cheddar, some cream cheese and Stilton (but you can use any cheese you like, Edam works too. :happy:)
Season.
Stir.

And that is it. Almost instant caulicheese.
The heat from the cauli melts the cheese all over it.
Just adjust the quantities to fit your taste and budget.
:)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make cheese sauce for cauli cheese by mixing creme Fraiche with handfuls of grated cheese and mixing it in with the well drained cauli in an ovenproof dish. Season well with black pepper ( a bit of grated nutmeg is nice too) and pop in oven till al gooey and melted.

Reactions: 6 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make cheese sauce for cauli cheese by mixing creme Fraiche with handfuls of grated cheese and mixing it in with the well drained cauli in an ovenproof dish. Season well with black pepper ( a bit of grated nutmeg is nice too) and pop in oven till al gooey and melted.

I've not had creme Fraiche before but it's on my shopping list now. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this.
The cheese sauce I've been making recently is far too rich for my family's liking.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not had creme Fraiche before but it's on my shopping list now. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this.
The cheese sauce I've been making recently is far too rich for my family's liking.

It's quite mild. I like it when it gets a bit chewy round the edges of the dish... Mmmm.

Reactions: 2 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi HA3, WhitbyJet doesn't post her anymore but there are 100g Almond Flour in 1 cup, hope this helps

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For anyne who likes some baking. Lovely crackers http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/02/pumpkin-and-sunflower-seeds-crackers.html
crackers p fb.jpg