Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Very quick and simple low carb snack but it does as a meal for me as its filling...

Place some slices of cheese into the base of a pie/baking dish, pour on a couple of beaten eggs, add some slices of tomato/mushrooms/ham , whatever you want. Cook for approximately 20 mins on 200 or until the beaten egg is solid when tested with a knife/fork. The edges become nice and crispy, best part !

Enjoy !!

Reactions: 4 people

ChilliGal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made a ShakShuk (sp - it's Moroccan, and Arabic isn't my first language I'm afraid!) t'other day - easy, filling delish and infinitely adaptable. It's a one pan dish so ideally cook it stove top in the dish you want to eat it/serve it from

Ingredients (these are all completely variable!) Served 2, just bulk it up for more!
Prep - 10 mins
Cooking about 15 - 20 minutes

1/2 large bag spincah
250g mince of your choice (I used lamb and a lot less but it would like more :) )
1 onion chopped finely
Mushrooms - chopped up a bit
Garlic - as much as you like - chopped finely
Chopped fresh chilli / dried chilli flakes / chilli powder / smoked paprika - i.e. whatever you've got or prefer
1/2 tin of tomatoes/small passata or about 150ml stock of your choice - I used oxo lamb stock
2 eggs (i.e. 1 per person)
Ground cinnamon
Thyme
Salt and Pepper
Ras el hanout if you have any - otherwise your favourite spices (I'm a big fan of easy....)
Olive oil

Fry onion until soft in a large-ish flat pan. When translucent, add chilli, garlic and mushrooms. and soften them off a bit.
Add mince and cook gently until all browned off. I add Lea & Perrins to lamb or beef mince as a hint.

Pour in the tomatoes/passatta/stock turn the heat down a bit, add the spices of choice and leave to simmer a bit until the liquid reduces off - maybe 5 - 10 minutes depending. Check the seasoning

Add the spinach on the top of the dish (it will shrink down quite quickly) and if you have one, put a lid on top to help the spinach steam.

After a couple of minutes the spinach will have wilted. Now make enough indents appropriate for the number of eggs you are using in the mix. Carefully as you can break an egg into each indentation (they'll try and join up together whilst you do each egg - just show the mixture who's boss). Put the lid back on - but watch like a hawk - the eggs will take about 2 - 3 minutes to cook to just set.

Dish up. Eat, Enjoy.

Reactions: 2 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
For those with a sweet tooth....Ginger and Lime Cheesecake....

Crush six Gingernut biscuits [quite a few carbs but not when divided into six] , mix with 50g almond flour and add melted butter [40-50grams] for the base. Force and flatten [!] into pie dish as base.

Topping ~ Mix 250grams of mascarpone with 200grams Philly, add juice of one lime and 1tbs of preferred sweetener.

Chill in fridge, use grated zest of lime as a topper plus one cube of grated chocolate, which, believe me, will be plenty.

Reactions: 6 people

jellyang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After I recently bought myself a spralizer to make veg spaghetti today I discovered Tesco make pre pared veggies for this very purpose.
They had
cauliflower Rice
Carrot Spaghetti
Courgette Spaghetti
Vegetable cous cous
I bought the Veg Cous Cous which has to be stir fried for 4 mins , I added some leftovers from the fridge , half tin of baked beans & 2 quorn sausages and that made a very tasty light lunch .
If you're short of time its perfect.

Reactions: 11 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
c fg.jpg

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/11/orange-and-poppy-seeds-cupcakes.html

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @ewelina That looks good. I have bought all the ingredients, and ordered a quiche tin online. I hope it will arrive tomorrow. If not I might just make it in a small lasagne dish.
I'm sure it woud work in any other dish. It just looks nice in a flan tin. Hope you will like it :)

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coconut Chocolate Stuff
Just spent 30 quid on coconut oil to make this. Fair enough I have seen lots of other recipes that use it - but this is the catalyst that made me go for it ;)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sure it woud work in any other dish. It just looks nice in a flan tin. Hope you will like it :)
Well the quiche tin arrived and I made the quiche today. I had to improvise a bit on your recipe. I didn't have quite enough almond flour so I made it up with 45g of soy flour, And as I had used one of the leeks earlier in the week I only had two (100g) so I used a red onion too. It did work well giving a little contrasting sweetness.
The quiche is great, I've had one slice and will have another later. I will probably freeze some slices too.
The recipe for the tart case is very useful. I might use a sweetened version to make a custard tart next week, using sweetener instead of sugar in the custard.
Thanks for the recipes!:)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well the quiche tin arrived and I made the quiche today. I had to improvise a bit on your recipe. I didn't have quite enough almond flour so I made it up with 45g of soy flour, And as I had used one of the leeks earlier in the week I only had two (100g) so I used a red onion too. It did work well giving a little contrasting sweetness.
The quiche is great, I've had one slice and will have another later. I will probably freeze some slices too.
The recipe for the tart case is very useful. I might use a sweetened version to make a custard tart next week, using sweetener instead of sugar in the custard.
Thanks for the recipes!:)
Thanks :) I really like quiche. Great low carb alternative and to be honest you can throw in it anything you like or have in the fridge.I use soy flour in baking but never made a tart with it. Need to try it as it would make it a bit cheaper