Low Carb Snacks

Sl1990

Hi
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on no/low carb snacks I can send my son to school with.
At the moment we have been sending cucumber, cheese or a little bit of chopped up peppers for when he is in his higher range but most of the time it ends up coming home uneaten and gets wasted.
Would like to find some other ideas of some perhaps foods we could send as it's probably quite boring for him eating the same things all the time and also something that could be just left in his bag without being spoiled?
Thank you

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nuts? How many carbs are you aiming for? There are lower carb choice that might add variety for him.

How old is he?

Sl1990

Nuts? How many carbs are you aiming for? There are lower carb choice that might add variety for him.

How old is he?
Unfortunately he can't have nuts in school in case of allergies, he's 6 years old
We were told anything under 10g carbs

justadad

Would like to find some other ideas of some perhaps foods we could send as it's probably quite boring for him eating the same things all the time and also something that could be just left in his bag without being spoiled?
Hi @Sl1990
If he tends to be high, then I think you are sending him the right food.
Happy to share our routine, but my son is rarely high when in school, so this might not be very helpful for you.
2 snacks at school, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. At school, they are quite active outdoors, and his sugars do tend to drop to the low margin, so we avoid very low carb snacks. The variety we choose from: fruit yogurt (5 carbs per 100 grams - this one is very convenient because it comes in some 5-6 varieties, so he doesn't get bored with the same flavour), a small green apple or a pear (app. 10-15 carbs per 100), a handful of cherries, sour cherries or strawberries (10-15 carbs per 100), 2 rice cakes (16 carbs per 20), low sugar cereal bar 15 carbs per 35 gram bar), stevia sweetened chocolate (10 carbs per 20 gram of chocolate). We do not bolus for snacks. These quantities normally do not raise his sugars over 8 mmol. This is what works for us, for the time being.
Cheers

Reactions: Jellytots

Sl1990

Hi @Sl1990
If he tends to be high, then I think you are sending him the right food.
Happy to share our routine, but my son is rarely high when in school, so this might not be very helpful for you.
2 snacks at school, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. At school, they are quite active outdoors, and his sugars do tend to drop to the low margin, so we avoid very low carb snacks. The variety we choose from: fruit yogurt (5 carbs per 100 grams - this one is very convenient because it comes in some 5-6 varieties, so he doesn't get bored with the same flavour), a small green apple or a pear (app. 10-15 carbs per 100), a handful of cherries, sour cherries or strawberries (10-15 carbs per 100), 2 rice cakes (16 carbs per 20), low sugar cereal bar 15 carbs per 35 gram bar), stevia sweetened chocolate (10 carbs per 20 gram of chocolate). We do not bolus for snacks. These quantities normally do not raise his sugars over 8 mmol. This is what works for us, for the time being.
Cheers
He went through a period of being high at his morning check for after breakfast which we've adjusted insulin ratio for so now we're getting normal/low levels but the school still want us to provide a low carb snack just in case. They do give him fruit I believe once a day so they provide a snack in that sense but we still put biscuits in for him to keep him up when he's at mid range

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately he can't have nuts in school in case of allergies, he's 6 years old
We were told anything under 10g carbs

Ok, makes sense then :)

Something like an oatcake or Ryvita with cheese and raw veg eg carrot? A few strawberries? Small satsuma?

The alternative is just to bolus and have a few more carbs so he can have something like an apple or similar. I bolus for snacks.

Sl1990

He doesn't bolus for snacks atm but they said in the future he may need too. Going to look at rice cakes for him and veg that are low too
Thanks for the advice everyone

Reactions: azure

Namztorb

Here are some of my 7yr old t1's favourite snacks under / at / around 10g: Fridge Raiders, cocktail sausages, Skips, Quavers, Wotsits, mini Pepperamis, raw carrot, strawberries, grapes, Nesquick milk slice, Yazoo no added sugar milkshakes, Biscoff biscuits (multi packs of pre-wrapped packs of 2 from the pound shop; 2 Biscoff = 10g), hard boiled eggs, baby bel cheese.

I realise not all of these will be suitable but might give you some ideas. If it's the school asking for him to have them, they should really provide suitable storage, especially in this warm weather, maybe even the staff room fridge.

Reactions: Mark_1

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
Hi
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on no/low carb snacks I can send my son to school with.
At the moment we have been sending cucumber, cheese or a little bit of chopped up peppers for when he is in his higher range but most of the time it ends up coming home uneaten and gets wasted.
Thank you

There is a way of making up a tray of biscuits: Ground almonds, a small amount of porridge oats, a good teaspoonful of Cinnamon powder and enough melted butter to bind all ingredients enough. Form biscuit shapes on baking parchment and in oven for about 15 minutes.. They make up a nice biscuit that can be eaten whenever. About 2 carbs each biscuit.... Mmmmm I think I`ll make some (The cinnamon is included as it helps the Insulin with the glucose entering the cells)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
School blanket ban on nuts is very unhelpful.
(It turned out that banning peanuts for all babies/young children actually caused more children to develop peanut allergies, plus some nuts don't cause as many allergy reactions as bananas.)
But it won't include seeds, so try a seed mix of pumpkin and sunflowers with a spice or herb coating.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
School blanket ban on nuts is very unhelpful.
(It turned out that banning peanuts for all babies/young children actually caused more children to develop peanut allergies, plus some nuts don't cause as many allergy reactions as bananas.)
But it won't include seeds, so try a seed mix of pumpkin and sunflowers with a spice or herb coating.
It kind of does though. When some children, or even staff, have diagnosed allergies so severe the being in the same room as nuts or traces left behind by hands that have been eating them can cause an anaphylactic potentially fatal response. Younger kids can be careless with their nuts and sufferers of the allergy when young may not be as cautious as they need to be. Not the same as pregnant women or young children avoiding them in case there “might” be an allergy.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He doesn't bolus for snacks atm but they said in the future he may need too. Going to look at rice cakes for him and veg that are low too
Thanks for the advice everyone
Check out Graze for snack options? https://www.graze.com/uk/about-us/how-graze-works
Pricey but might keep boredom at bay and you can specify certain things e.g. no allergens. They have clear nuttrional info too.
If you like baking there are also low carb recipes around. Bolusing would be a pain at school breaks.

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
There is a way of making up a tray of biscuits: Ground almonds, a small amount of porridge oats, a good teaspoonful of Cinnamon powder and enough melted butter to bind all ingredients enough. Form biscuit shapes on baking parchment and in oven for about 15 minutes.. They make up a nice biscuit that can be eaten whenever. About 2 carbs each biscuit.... Mmmmm I think I`ll make some (The cinnamon is included as it helps the Insulin with the glucose entering the cells)
My husband does not eat nuts, would you have any ideas what could be used instead of ground almonds? He is trying to lower cholesterol but has a very sweet tooth and loves biscuits!!