1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by fergus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. J.H.L

J.H.L · Newbie

You look so much younger. Great job... :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Wow! You look so much younger, so much healthier. Your journey is inspirational. To hear that you have turned diabetes on its head. Coming off insulin after you have been on it for 12 years. Awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. chrestomanci

chrestomanci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Success stories Hba1c 38 !!!!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on May 7th of this year with a Hba1c of 92. The doctor told me that according to his records I'd had prediabetes since a random test in March 2015 but they forgot to tell me, so I'm not sure how long I have had type 2, I've certainly had symptoms for the last 3 years.
    The day I got my diagnosis I found this forum and I was basically a nervous wreck, I thought I was going to go blind any minute because my vision had gone blurry and I was too scared to eat anything in case I ate the wrong thing. Many of you were incredibly kind to me and I will always be so grateful that you took the time to reach out to me and answer my terrified questions. Thank you in particular @Caeseji @Rachox @DCUKMod @Resurgam @bulkbiker @Brunneria @Robbity @HSSS @jjraak @Goonergal and @JoKalsbeek .Sorry if there's anyone I've forgotten to mention by name, everyone has been so kind.

I got my 3 month Hba1c test result back today and the result was 38. NORMAL!
    Weighed myself this morning and have lost over four and a half stone, most of which seems to have gone from my middle.

I have been combining a low carb diet and intermittent fasting with a couple of small extended fasts. I have @followed the advice of Jason Fung, David Unwin and basically watched almost every video on dietdoctor.com, and taken their advice. I upped my exercise a bit too, but nothing too strenuous.

I'm never going back to my old way of life. Thanks again you wonderful people.

• Winner Winner x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. chrestomanci

Also a big thank you to @Jim Lahey ... where would I be without your no-nonsense wisdom and humour?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Debandez

92 to 38! In 3 months! 4 and a half stone! What an amazing result. One of the best set of stats I've seen. You have done so well. All your hard work has paid off. You are back in control. Isn't it wonderful how lifestyle choices can turn things right around. Such a pity we arent informed this on dx, or before!

I always thank my lucky stars for this forum and the amazing people you mentioned above, and so many more, who give their time up to help and advise others and guide them through to better health. They are simply the best.

And when we find the forum feeling lost, forlorn, devastated, in a spin we not only find all the sound advice we need but also a place where we can have a laugh too.

Well done once again.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. chrestomanci

Thank you so much @Debandez you hit the nail on the head! 'when we find the forum feeling lost, forlorn, devastated, in a spin we not only find all the sound advice we need but also a place where we can have a laugh too!'

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

That is almost an unbelievable result. Amazing in such a short time. All that blood sugar gone and all that weight. You must feel on top of the world. Many, many congratulations. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Fantastic news! A remarkable turn around! But remember you did the hard work, keep up the good work and look forward to a healthy future x

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. chrestomanci

Thanks @Rachox I'm so grateful for all your advice. (I never did get on with metformin.) Going to keep ketoing on! xx

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Debandez

I always think of my diagnosis as a blessing in disguise. Never felt better.

Well done again. Thanks for sharing

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Very kind of you to mention me.. but us old hands just give people the pointers.. you did all the hard work.
    So well done for an extremely well deserved result.

SUPERSTAR!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. chrestomanci

Thanks so much @Bluetit1802 the ironic thing was that I've been trying to lose weight for years but on low fat high carb so it just wouldn't shift! I was so depressed and had given up hope of anything working. Thank God for keto! I couldn't get my head around it at first as it seemed so counter intuitive but boy did it work for me! xx

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. chrestomanci

Thanks @bulkbiker I watched your story over on dietdoctor so many times and it gave me such hope :)
    You're an inspiration.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That was so lovely of you to mention me, I'm just glad that I could help you with your starting out here and here is to your continued health as well.

Managed to upstage me too, I am going to have to try harder now aren't I?

You've done so very well and I cannot tell you how proud I am.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

very kind of you to mention me. @chrestomanci all i did was relay the messages passed to me.

But thank you anyway..so glad was able to help you in anyway at all.

Now the hard work begins..Looking after those who tread in our footsteps
    but for now..rest and enjoy the Praise.

best wishes for the Journey ahead

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. chrestomanci

No one could upstage you @Caeseji xxx

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. chrestomanci

Thanks @jjraak... it was such good news xx

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. chrestomanci

Thanks @Prem51 it's such a relief! I remember reading this success stories thread when I was first diagnosed and it giving me such hope. I just wanted to add my experience to the growing body of people who are living proof that low carb can put type 2 into remission in many people.

Every time I went to see the diabetic nurse she would tell me something terrifying such as 'you have definitely destroyed all the cells in your pancreas that make insulin, that's why your disease is progressive.' I would come back home and get on this forum and gradually the fear would dissipate. I am so grateful xx

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. sweetierufus

sweetierufus · Member

well done @chrestomanci :happy:

I've been reading the success stories for inspiration as just started low carb recently. Such amazing achievements here!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook