1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by fergus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. johnnyangel

johnnyangel Type 2 · Member

hi I have been a t2d for about 5 yrs. started on an lchf diet for a a year. before then I did mostly calorie counting and stuck with whole wheat pasta and bread when eating those carbs. . that was on my doctor's advise. my diabetes really never got better and my weight fluctuated or yo-yo'd. medication levels also increased during that time. complete frustration. I started getting serious about a dietary approach to my issues. I embarked on a lchf diet combined with IF with passion. my weight has droped 22 lbs since then and my A1C has gone down from 7.4 when first diagnosed to 5.5 now (I'm cdn). my meds protocol has not changed but I expect that to go on the same direction as well.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Excellent work! You've done really well (although you probably know your doctor may well not approve of LCHF!). You have likely improved your health prospects considerably and if your meds can be safely reduced/eliminated you will be saving your insurance/health service money too! Win win! :) Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bex72

Bex72 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Delighted to hear that following a fasting blood and urine test my BG is in a normal range. I need to talk to GP about borderline cholesterol on Weds so will ask for the full results.

My low carb diet has improved my health. I am so incredibly happy about this. It means that the hard work is worth it.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pdmjoker

Well done! Cholesterol is a complex/subtle subject which not all GPs understand well.
    I put together the following sheet a while ago but updated it quite recently. I know it mostly talks about Keto and LDL but you may find it contains some helpful info.

Attached Files:

5. Bex72

pdmjoker, thanks so much indeed, you must be a mind reader. Low carb is probably impossible without increasing fat. I realise I should eat more oily fish and less pork scratchings. However, I started Couch to 5k a few montgs ago and know that my health is improving. I am also on thyroxine as I have Hashimotos disease. I understand that thyroid disease can raise cholesterol. Thanks again, I do need to start learning more about cholesterol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdmjoker

Glad to be of help. You might also find some helpful cholesterol info in the My Low Carb Journey pdf linked below in my profile, and from this recent post about a recent study: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/saturated-fats-and-health-a-reassessment.175897/

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bex72

PDMJoker, Thanks so much for the information and well done for your own personal achievements. I feel a lot more confident about my upcoming telephone appointment with my GP now.

I needed to verify something with the GP's receptionist this morning and took the opportunity to ask for my full test results.
    Although it was a fasting blood test, the cholesterol info was just basic: 6.5 = high (but down from 6.9). My Hba1c was 38 mmol/l which is absolutely amazing and has made the monumental diet change worthwhile - my starting point in August was 78 mmol/l, Type 2 diagnosis following very blurred vision.

My weight was just in the normal zone but very close to a bmi of 25 which would have taken me into the overweight category. Belly fat was an issue.

Since adopting a low carb lifestyle, my bmi is now 20, I have lost over two stone and my weight has stabilised. I am in week 10 of Couch to 5k (although repeat lots of weeks so as not to do myself any harm .... I have one good knee and one good hip) and absolutely love it.

My blood pressure has reduced significantly. My resting pulse has reduced significantly. I have lost 7 inces around my middle.

Incredibly, my terrible migraine problem no longer seems to be a problem.

I am very happy indeed with the improvements to my life. None of this would have been possible had I not stumbled across Diabetes.co.uk and all of the wonderful, supportive contributors.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pdmjoker

Glad that you found the info helpful and that you feel better about talking with your GP now.

You have made super progress Bex - well done indeed!

Possibly carbs were causing your migraine problem - Dr Atkins found that numerous chronic conditions disappeared when people cut carbs.

As you probably know, a single cholesterol number is pretty meaningless since HDL is considered protective and not harmful.

This forum and its members have played a major part in my positive health transformation, too... :)

Great to read your positive post during these negative times! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Bex72 aside from the excellent BG control and drop in your HbA1c, that’s fabulous news about your migraines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bex72

Thanks Goonergal, I feel like I am on a cloud! The migraines really were a BIG problem. I know you understand and also had success. Migraines can have a massive impact on quality of life.

I've had the call with my GP and he assessed my true cholesterol risk based on all other health indicators (bmi, waist measurment, blood pressure) to be 3.6. I'll just have a blood test in 6 months. He was really pleased for me.

I'm also very happy that the extended family that have been here for 8 months will be moving into their new home next week. It will be so good to be a family of four again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nedion

Nedion · Newbie

I started eating this way because it doesn't separate me that much from the rest of the family. But after 2 months I entered a plateau and the weight stopped moving (I'm just going the same way now.

12. pdmjoker

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you've made a good start with diet. How many grams of carbs per day do you eat?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook