LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I was taken to hospital beginning of July 2021 with confusion, turned out my HBa1C was 138!! No symptoms just seemed to come on almost overnight. I went low carb and within 3 months got it to 43. That was being really really strict almost no carb. Saw a consultant endocrinologist who would not give me the level I should keep to, she said ‘you’ve got to live’! Think my current level is 50. Still trying to get glucose levels regular and on even keel with diet and dose of 12mg Empagliflozin. Currently on holiday and it’s a nightmare, no establishments cater for low carb!!

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Always check any labels. Sardines are good and I would think mustard ok. However I presume it is in a tin. Just looks to see what they might have added and carb count.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was taken to hospital beginning of July 2021 with confusion, turned out my HBa1C was 138!! No symptoms just seemed to come on almost overnight. I went low carb and within 3 months got it to 43. That was being really really strict almost no carb. Saw a consultant endocrinologist who would not give me the level I should keep to, she said ‘you’ve got to live’! Think my current level is 50. Still trying to get glucose levels regular and on even keel with diet and dose of 12mg Empagliflozin. Currently on holiday and it’s a nightmare, no establishments cater for low carb!!
Other than the diagnosis of T2, with your really high level of 138, did the endo say why it was so high?
Do you take fasting levels? What is that average?
have you found out it you are intolerant to certain foods, say lactose or fructose intolerant? You may be either glucose intolerant or carb intolerant.
Your endo is wrong, I am totally carb intolerant, I can only eat certain foods.
I have a full life and as healthy as a man of my age could be . My hba1c is 37, my fasting levels are always in normal range, I am non diabetic. But my one hour spike for a glucose tolerance text would have been diagnosed as diabetic. And insulin resistant. And back in 2009, I was misdiagnosed with T2!

some endocrinologists are not clued up on certain other endocrine conditions.

hdawg1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We have endless debates and arguments about what constitutes a healthy diet. It seems one man's carb is another man's poision.
One common concern, however, is that newly diagnosed visitors will get mixed messages from the conflicting opinions. I have therefore decided that it's time for a wee census. I know of many members who have gained control of their condition by adopting a low(er) carb diet, but then found no further use for the forum, taken their normal blood sugars and disappeared. I would like us to gather statements from diabetics who have found success by restricting their carbohydrate intake, by whatever amount.
So please let us know if you have succeeded in managing your diabetes by restricting your carbs.
If you can supply before and after figures for diet, blood sugar readings, HbA1c, weight, weight or lipids it will all help to build a picture of how real people are getting on.
Oh, and the arguments won't be tolerated here but can be continued elsewhere!

All the best,

fergus
I don't have personal stats to share about carbs--just thoughts. One thing is for sure (at least for me), no java in the AM--I have even tried no caffeine coffee, but I break the high records every time. And this is something that changed in the last 24 months.

hdawg1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it be Covid? I never got it, fortunately--so far--but the caffeine and covid share a similar time period.

Ian090

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In late December I was diagnosed as a T2 A1C 53 and I was 136kgs.
Now I am A1C 37 and 108.5kgs
In this time I've spent 24 days on holiday on cruise ships
To help others this is what have I learnt
Exercise which I've always done is good for you but doesn't really help you lose weight, only diet will do that
Reducing insulin spikes stops you craving food. I've not eaten between meals since December. Use a monitor either finger or CGM to see what spikes you.
Cutting out bread, pasta, cereal,potatoes and fruit will accelerate your weight loss and BG reduction
Eat only natural foods, anything with lots of ingredients or labelled low fat, sugar or vegan will not be good for you as a diabetic.
Vary diet by use of spices, herbs and roasted seeds. Make keto bread at home as having this access to quick food is important. It's worth the cost and time
The down side for me at least is cost and drinks. I've bought a soda stream that works well for sparkling water & very weak diet Pepsi. I only drank alcohol on the holiday & at a much reduced rate. On holidays I kept to the diet with fish, vegetables (above ground only) and meat. I came back from both lighter than when I left
My advice to anyone new to this is to research the many sources on diabetes and diet. The first two weeks can be difficult but you will see the difference. Use clothes fitting as a guide
Lastly understand that if you just think I'll eat that biscuit or crisps it will spike your insulin and you'll find yourself hungering for more carbs
It's not easy but it definitely can be done & you will be better for it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise which I've always done is good for you but doesn't really help you lose weight, only diet will do that
Reducing insulin spikes stops you craving food. I've not eaten between meals since December. Use a monitor either finger or CGM to see what spikes you.
Cutting out bread, pasta, cereal,potatoes and fruit will accelerate your weight loss and BG reduction
Eat only natural foods, anything with lots of ingredients or labelled low fat, sugar or vegan will not be good for you as a diabetic.
Vary diet by use of spices, herbs and roasted seeds. Make keto bread at home as having this access to quick food is important. It's worth the cost and time
The down side for me at least is cost and drinks. I've bought a soda stream that works well for sparkling water & very weak diet Pepsi. I only drank alcohol on the holiday & at a much reduced rate. On holidays I kept to the diet with fish, vegetables (above ground only) and meat. I came back from both lighter than when I left
My advice to anyone new to this is to research the many sources on diabetes and diet. The first two weeks can be difficult but you will see the difference. Use clothes fitting as a guide
Lastly understand that if you just think I'll eat that biscuit or crisps it will spike your insulin and you'll find yourself hungering for more carbs
You learnt well. Congrats. An inspiring post. Thank you

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
This makes your weight loss and A1c improvement a spectacular achievement.
I am in awe of your determination and willpower. Fantastic post, thanks for sharing.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and Outlier

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done and welcome to the forum!

socks55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in March 2023. I'm a vegan and have been for many years. My levels were 58, I had my 3 month blood test last week & they are now 45. I've been following a low carb non restrictive diet, so I'm not restricting amounts but sticking to recipes that are experimental (for me) & low carb.
I like experimenting with food types anyway so I think I've adjusted ok, like vegetables, don't eat fruit anyway because I just don't like it. The only big change is the pasta & rice. Much less of it. I've also discovered barenaked brand stocked in Tesco. Great pasta/ noodle alternative & virtually no carb intake.
The hard work is now keeping it up!

socks55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
P.S I don't really do weighing myself because have had to deal with an eating disorder in the family, traumatic for everyone, has left me with a hatred of weighing myself & scales. So I'm not into weight loss or gain only health!

• Winner
Reactions: miriamy and Pipp

timbo_dolman

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in March 2023. I'm a vegan and have been for many years. My levels were 58, I had my 3 month blood test last week & they are now 45. I've been following a low carb non restrictive diet, so I'm not restricting amounts but sticking to recipes that are experimental (for me) & low carb.
I like experimenting with food types anyway so I think I've adjusted ok, like vegetables, don't eat fruit anyway because I just don't like it. The only big change is the pasta & rice. Much less of it. I've also discovered barenaked brand stocked in Tesco. Great pasta/ noodle alternative & virtually no carb intake.
The hard work is now keeping it up!

I’m interested to know about the bare naked range - what kind of things are included ?

Reactions: miriamy

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Noodles great for stir fries I haven't noticed any difference in taste. I will be trying the others in the range next!
Well done on your progress! I'm also interested in the Barenaked noodles or rice - made with Konjac flour and stocked by Waitrose as well as Tesco!

Reactions: socks55

BoldItalic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I can report success.

Diagnosed T2 about 9 months ago with HbA1c of 50 so I immediately put myself onto a low-carb diet.
Three months later I was down to 43 and I'd lost a stone in weight and 2 inches round the middle.
Six months further on, down to 41, lost another half stone and another inch but the weight and waist have stablised.

When diagnosed, I got rather vague diet advice from the medics but was given a finger-prick meter and started monitoring levels while obsessively recording details of food intake. After about 6 weeks I had enough data to "do the science" and work out what was the right carb intake for me. The data was even clear enough that I could distinguish the effects of sugar from the effects of starch and set accurate limits on each. For example, I know that 30g of starch will take me from 5.1 to 7.6 after 2 hours and it will then take 4 hours to go down again.

I'm in my 70's and fairly sedentry but I'm down to the weight and trousers-size that I was in my 20's and 30's. I didn't really want to lose weight as a goal in itself, though, because I've always been thin. I'm now even thinner. My BMI has dropped below 18 which is maybe not so good from a general point of view but at least it's not as low as it used to be when I was young and this weight because I've shrunk 3" in height with old age.

While limiting carbs, I eat fat and protein ad lib to try to keep the calories up. If I feel like a snack between meals, I eat a lump of cheese. Supper consists of an unadorned piece of grilled meat. Breakfast is a carefully-weighed bowl of cereal followed by a "full English" minus the starchy bits. This diet has become a habit now, and it's not going to be difficult to keep it going indefinitely.

"Low carb worked for me"

Last edited: