1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb vegan?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Sapien, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Diz For low carb or protein or just to eat or?

2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd look at seitan. Particularly the home made varieties. You can use a variety of things to mix with the vital wheat gluten (which is the one constant ingredient for them all). Just one of many recipes and sites here:

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-steak/#wprm-recipe-container-14806

• vital wheat gluten
    • cooked lentils (I used canned)
    • water
    • nutritional yeast (search on Engevita in the UK - available in most supermarkets)
    • tomato paste
    • soy sauce - choose a tasty savoury substitute - eg mushroom sauce
    • garlic powder
    • chili powder
    • liquid smoke
    • black pepper
    Once you've got the basic steaks made, you can serve them as marinaded steaks, chunks in casseroles, slices in hot sandwiches - anything.

(Nutritional values at bottom of recipe)

Very high protein foodstuff.

3. Diz

Diz Family member · Member

Hi, for all three but particularly protein

4. Diz

Diz Family member · Member

Thanks for your reply, WuTwo, unfortunately as I mentioned they’re gluten free which means the ital wheat gluten is out of the question. Therein lies my problem, wheat gluten or soy seem to be the main protein sources and the reason I ‘m struggling.

5. WuTwo

Sorry about that.

@Robinredbreast is gluten free, but not veg or vegan, but has a son who is veggie so she might have some ideas that could help.

I do know some varieties of nut are very good sources of protein so you could look at nut roasts, or nut/veg burgers etc. as one source.

I'll keep thinking!

6. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Diz Hope this helps!!!!

You can usually find recipes for patties made from a variety of beans or nuts. Also protein shakes are being made in a variety of different plant proteins. You can use rice protein or pea protein shakes or smoothies. Protein powders can even just be added to some of the foods you cook. You can usually add beans, nuts and seeds to the top of salads or vegetable dishes. Pates from beans, nuts and seeds make nice dips, nuts and seeds you can make nut or seed butters.
    Walnut pate with crackers or carrot or celery sticks, nut butters with celery. peanut sauces and peanuts with veggies.

Possible, but maybe not low carb enough?
    Hummus or falafel of course from garbanzo beans/chickpeas. Also baked beans, you can use any bean with different flavorings for variety too. Take foods you like and just add any of the different items to them. Peas which are fast becoming popular, I believe they belong to the legume family. They easily can be added to a range of items.

Here is a link to a list of 7 items
    Quinoa is not low carb, and beans and peas probably aren't high on the list of low carb items either.

https://www.veestro.com/blogs/food-for-thought/allergic-to-soy-these-are-7-non-soy-sources-of-protein?utm_campaign=7/15 BLOG Allergic to Soy? (2019-07-15)&utm_medium=email-mkt&utm_source=Master Engaged&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJoYXd0aG9ybmViZXJyeXRyZWVAeWFob28uY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiZ2lmbWJzIn0=

• Like Like x 1
  7. WuTwo

I forgot pea protein!

I did think of the nut/bean roasts and patties last night but by then I'd got into the shower/night time set of activities.

Also, black rice has lots of protein, anti-inflammatories, iron, potassium, anti virals - a 1/2 cup serving of prepared black rice, made from about 1/4 cup of uncooked rice, contains 160 calories, 1 1/2 grams of fat, 34 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 4 percent of iron.

It goes well with all the usual rice dishes, and apparently makes a delicious rice and coconut pudding.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook