low carbs and losing weight

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this is my first posted question but I've been reading lots already on here....thank you to all.
I'm prediabetic, 43 mmol, aged 50, 5 ft 2 and have always been slim. Having seen that carbs clearly spike my blood sugar eg. 25g brown rice (added to home made keto cauliflower curry) sent my readings from 4 mmol to 9.2 at 1 hour. Small porridge, made with almond milk and few blueberries, sent reading from 4.4 to 12.9. It would be straightforward then: cut the carbs.....however, I have lost a lot of weight over the past couple of weeks (at least a stone). I now weigh 47.2 kg and I really do not want to continue to lose weight. Also, I'm scared to further raise intake of fats as cholesterol was also 5.7. I've just been to GP and requested another cholesterol test, an oral glucose tolerance test, C-Peptide and GAD (information I've gleened from being on this site). She is phoning me later .....is there anything else I should request? Many thanks, Moira

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Of all those things I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol.
There is a lot of information on this forum about cholesterol, how it can be good for you, how higher fats can actually help lower cholesterol.
The general principle of eating lower carbohydrates is to replace the carbohydrates with fats to keep your energy intake roughly the same.
It sounds as though you aren't getting enough calories.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this is my first posted question but I've been reading lots already on here....thank you to all.
I'm prediabetic, 43 mmol, aged 50, 5 ft 2 and have always been slim. Having seen that carbs clearly spike my blood sugar eg. 25g brown rice (added to home made keto cauliflower curry) sent my readings from 4 mmol to 9.2 at 1 hour. Small porridge, made with almond milk and few blueberries, sent reading from 4.4 to 12.9. It would be straightforward then: cut the carbs.....however, I have lost a lot of weight over the past couple of weeks (at least a stone). I now weigh 47.2 kg and I really do not want to continue to lose weight. Also, I'm scared to further raise intake of fats as cholesterol was also 5.7. I've just been to GP and requested another cholesterol test, an oral glucose tolerance test, C-Peptide and GAD (information I've gleened from being on this site). She is phoning me later .....is there anything else I should request? Many thanks, Moira
Hi Em,

Ten percent of T2's were never overweight to begin with. So while for those who are, weight loss is preferable, for people like you it's a bit hard to find a balance. For people like me, still overweight (though no longer morbidly obese) intermittent fasting and the like is good, you want to keep your weight at a decent level. One thing, you lost weight: that also means your cholesterol goes up for a bit. That was already there, packed in your liver, but as you lose weight it's released into the bloodstream on the way out. So wouldn't worry about it. That'll stabilise when your weight does. Now, to keep your weight up to par, don't do what overweight T2's do: Don't start cutting out meals. Stick with the low carb diet, yes, but eat 3 meals a day and snack 3 times in between. You need a little more fats and protein to keep some meat on your bones than the bulk of us here do.

Sounds like you got every test pertaining to T2 and related conditions sorted. Just eat more. Add in some extra eggs, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, avocado, whatever.... Eat more, not less, but keep the carbs low.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, the essential macro nutrients are protein and fats - trying to eat sub optimal amounts is not lkely to end well.
We really do need fats, our brains and nervous systems rely on them, and without sufficient food, you might start to break down protein.
There is some evidence (poo poohed by the establishment) that having a higher LDL meant living longer - but despite the evidence being more or less set in stone - they can't allow that to be true.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the replies.....especially helpful to learn how the cholesterol works as I would've been worried to see a raise and am having it checked next month. I am tucking into dark choc and salted peanuts as I type .....yum, yum, yum!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Em,

Ten percent of T2's were never overweight to begin with. So while for those who are, weight loss is preferable, for people like you it's a bit hard to find a balance. For people like me, still overweight (though no longer morbidly obese) intermittent fasting and the like is good, you want to keep your weight at a decent level. One thing, you lost weight: that also means your cholesterol goes up for a bit. That was already there, packed in your liver, but as you lose weight it's released into the bloodstream on the way out. So wouldn't worry about it. That'll stabilise when your weight does. Now, to keep your weight up to par, don't do what overweight T2's do: Don't start cutting out meals. Stick with the low carb diet, yes, but eat 3 meals a day and snack 3 times in between. You need a little more fats and protein to keep some meat on your bones than the bulk of us here do.

Sounds like you got every test pertaining to T2 and related conditions sorted. Just eat more. Add in some extra eggs, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, avocado, whatever.... Eat more, not less, but keep the carbs low.
I had this same problem when I started low carbing. I did drop below my ideal weight for a short while, but bounced back up to a BMI of around 21, which is where I have stubbornly stayed since. I am comfortable with where my body has decided to plateau, and replaced my wardrobe instead. I went from jean waist 36 being too tight on me down to 30" and wearing braces to stop them fallung round my ankles when I run for the bus.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Supper tonight was chicken and roasted swede and other veges, cooked in olive oil. Yum. It was so satisfying that I forgot to have the berries and cream I'd planned, and it was my only meal today - I had to go to the dentist and as I did not feel hungry when I got back I did not eat.
Eating low carb really is not a hardship.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you start low carbing you may initially lose a fair bit of weight quite quickly, and this tends to be from retained fluids. LCHF is not a weight loss diet - though it can be and is used as such, and to maintain your weight you MUST make sure you're eating enough fats to replace the fuel you no longer get from high quantities of carbs.

After losing weight initially after cutting right down on carbs, I've maintained a fairly steady weight eating LCHF for nearly six years now. I've joked previously that my scales are stuck at that weight...:D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello Moira,
Like you am a slim prediabetic and lost more weight than I was happy with at first. It may sound odd, but check your calories. Are you eating enough? Although tucking into peanuts is a good start.
Try to make sure you have a good breakfast. With some protein, this is where eggs are your best friend.
Also found my cholesterol levels have dropped, even though I now have coffee with cream every morning and cook with a lot of butter.
You will find what suits you best, but it might take a little time.

Reactions: Lotties

dragongirl

Hi - you're doing fine. Don't worry but do 'u'p your fats as people have said. With regard to cholesterol, if you divide the total by the HDL figure, you get a ratio. It's the ratio that matters most and keeping it below 4 is best. To do that you obviously have to raise the HDL figure so the ratio goes down! You probably know this. The thing is, after 10+ years, my chol is often 5.6-5.7 (or once 5.9!) - but my ratio is very nearly down to 3. I waver at BMI 19 - I was always skinny, and I just have to do what someone else has suggested - eat three main meals and 3 snacks. It's good advice! You'll get there :)

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for this info. I have upped my snacks and got stuck into the high fats and my weight is steadying now which is great. My glucose readings are good providing I steer clear of the carbs/keep them very low.

However, the GP has refused me the tests I asked for, including an oral glucose tolerance test, despite that I can see that carbs send my readings into the diabetic range. She said I couldn't be diabetic because I wasn't overweight (!!) that the OGTT was only used for pregnant women and to wait and repeat the hb1ac. I think its possible that the next hb1ac will be good (due to my LCHF diet ) and completely miss the fact that I am intolerant to carbs/glucose....which would mean I can't access any support from my gp/health care system. Does anyone have any advice for when I go to my next appointment for a second opinion? Thanks again for all previous help!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for this info. I have upped my snacks and got stuck into the high fats and my weight is steadying now which is great. My glucose readings are good providing I steer clear of the carbs/keep them very low.

However, the GP has refused me the tests I asked for, including an oral glucose tolerance test, despite that I can see that carbs send my readings into the diabetic range. She said I couldn't be diabetic because I wasn't overweight (!!) that the OGTT was only used for pregnant women and to wait and repeat the hb1ac. I think its possible that the next hb1ac will be good (due to my LCHF diet ) and completely miss the fact that I am intolerant to carbs/glucose....which would mean I can't access any support from my gp/health care system. Does anyone have any advice for when I go to my next appointment for a second opinion? Thanks again for all previous help!!
You are self testing, so what I did was log my results and foods eaten in a spreadsheet, then plotted out the graphs for my GP who was instantly blinded by science, and came on board my ship. For a while test yourself just before a main meal, then 2 hours after then possibly 4 hours after the meal. Only need to cover 1 meal a day so you can discuss how intolerant you are. Slip in some 'poor choices' on occasions to show a) how carbs spike you, and b) how well your diet is working otherwise,

Your GP is referring to the OGTT for Gestational diabetes, which requires pregnancy upfront. It is a shorter and cheaper test that that used for T2D diagnosis. But you will need to satisfy other trigger tickboxes, as described here
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/oral-glucose-tolerance-test#1

I believe you can get the test done privately. I will tag @bulkbiker who might have more knowledge on this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are self testing, so what I did was log my results and foods eaten in a spreadsheet, then plotted out the graphs for my GP who was instantly blinded by science, and came on board my ship. For a while test yourself just before a main meal, then 2 hours after then possibly 4 hours after the meal. Only need to cover 1 meal a day so you can discuss how intolerant you are. Slip in some 'poor choices' on occasions to show a) how carbs spike you, and b) how well your diet is working otherwise,

Your GP is referring to the OGTT for Gestational diabetes, which requires pregnancy upfront. It is a shorter and cheaper test that that used for T2D diagnosis. But you will need to satisfy other trigger tickboxes, as described here
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/oral-glucose-tolerance-test#1

I believe you can get the test done privately. I will tag @bulkbiker who might have more knowledge on this.
Thanks for the tag already replied to @Em16 on her other thread with a link to my home brew OGTT

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, thank you....I'm reading everything and learning lots!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In UK, the gold standard for T2 diagnosis is the HbA1c test. The OGTT is now only used for gestational diabetes. Your GP is not obliged to do any given test for you, so he can decline your request, where he thinks there to be little or no benefit.

If you are feeling well, and your numbers are good, I'm wondering what sort of additional benefits you might have from achieving a diagnosis?

You can do an OGTT for yourself at home, however to be clear, your GP would usually use venous blood draws for the "official" OGTT, whereas your home test would be using finger prick testing, I assume. There are private options to have an OGTT privately, but you would have to be in the clinic, first thing (fasted) and there for a couple of hours. Additionally, as I understand they may also only do a beginning and finishing test, with no interim measurement.

lalaleroux

You know, I am glad to read all this as well. I was diagnosed in October and started testing right away. I learned that the less carbs I eat, the better off my numbers were. I was slightly overweight and my doc suggested loosing about 10 pounds. I was wondering how I was going to do that but when I started dropping carbs, the weight fell off. I have lost 25 pounds since then. I don't really want/need to lose more, and I am having trouble walking the line between eating enough and carb counting.

I was diagnosed with a 10.1% a1c, but my first a1c just recently was 6.1% so I think I am okay in the direction I am going, but according to my adult children (aka the new food police) I am not eating enough calories.

Thank you for this thread!