Makes My Blood Boil

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone read this article on yahoo news?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/200806 ... dbed5.html

It suggests all us type 2's are all obese lay a bouts who's only exercise is reaching for another burger and glass of coke.

Ive worked very hard over the last 2 month since being diagnosed and this really p***** me off.

Moan over, im off to macdonalds now for my double burger and chips with kingsize coke.... i may as well make my self blind and get my foot cut off....at least they wont say im obese.

Brian

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: News Topic on Diabetes.

What we need is a type2 reporter who can put the other view....Oh wait a minute though,aren't they ,stereotypically, beer swilling,burger munching,cigarette smoking unhealthy individuals...Oh well maybe not then!

sixfoot

Re: News Topic on Diabetes.

Sue please be serious it was a serious article in a serious paper :D

(edited by Sugarless Sue so that it made sense after me moving posts!!! :lol: )

sixfoot

Brianb come on mate your being a tad selfish, :) if they didnt have us morbidly obese fat layabout to write these factually correct column inches then "they" would be skinney stressed & malnuourished wretches sitting on street corners begging for a crust.

So come on be proud that you are doing your bit for ENGLAND and to keep them in employment and the manner to which they have become acustomed.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If we're lucky, they might come round to see that the so-called "healthy balanced diet" of 60% carbs is the main culprit. and while people ate a natural diet with some good fats in, they didn't have such weight problems or get hungry.
It's the bun on the burger and the potato in the fries what does it!!
I also wonder why in the daily exercise groups I attend, Nearly everyone is overweight or obese. Certainly none is lazy.
I have just struggled out of the "Obese"(BMI) category and am merely "overweight". It's taken a year to do.

lionrampant

Or they'll realise there's so much other **** in our food (additive wise) that the explanation for many things may be more complicated than "yer a fat bas*ard!". :eek:

ally5555

I think alot of people who are overwt are not lazy but prob are eating more than they require. However it may only be a few hundred calories a day more . that is why I get them to keep a food diary - amazing what it throws up!

ahhh - most of the food diaries i analyse do not contain 60 % carbs - its more like 40-45% fat.

Many diabetics I see are not overwt and on diagnosis are symptomless - picked up by screening!

the problem is not carbs per se its the type - sugar, cola, sweets, .

many of the diaries I analyse there arent any wholegrains or if there are - too many. So making a statement like its the 60% carbs couldnt be further from the truth. Often people are just consuming too many calories from sugar and fat!

I have thought for a while that maybe I ought to try and publish them just to show people the reality of what we are dealing with.
A few examples of meals and snacks from various

Bf - 6 sausage rolls

Bf 4 mr kipling apple pies!

l - 2 baquettes - filled with meat etc - would people eat them if they realised they may be eating 5-8 slices of bread per baguette!

Ev M - a family of 3 who consumed 12 chicken portions between them.

a lady eating 16 packets of crisps a day - that is the record so far!

I am sure other dietitians are finding the same. When you analyse these diaries what you find is that the overall calories are too high!

I have seen incredible diaries over the years!
so its not as simple as blaming the carbs - fat has alot to ans too (the bad sort of course)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I did actually follow the recommendations on diet and NEVER could lose weight. I never drink fizzy drinks, have never had take-away chicken portions. Always ate fresh vegetables, wholegrains and the skin on potatoes. Occasionally I had Old fashioned fish and chips. ( not more than once a month). Then I had a stroke. After my diabetes diagnosis, I talked over my food diary with the hospital dietician and she said it was ideal. I hadn't changed my pattern at all.
I could gain weight on a genuine 1500 calories per day.
Since discovering Bernstein, I have gradually reduced the carbs, so I now don't eat bread, but do have the occcasional cracker( see my Matzos posting) I only have 2 baby new potatoes at a meal. desserts are fresh fruit or wholemilk yoghurt , with a teaspoonful of low sugar jam or none. No breakfast cereals of any kind. I've been doing it for a year and lost about 15 Kg. I also keep my blood glucose well under 7 at any time I test.( on rationed strips)and over 6 is a rarity.
Whereas no-one should be blamed for an error of metabolism, I was technically obese (BMI about 34) and i didn't walk as much as I do now, although I always did some walking.I did develop type 2.
I was neither lazy nor gluttonous.
I cannot be the only one.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
:oops: :oops: In a past life it has been known!! :oops: :oops: and the crisps,well maybe not 16 but two or three in an evening.I miss crisps more than sweets actually.I nearly always went for the savoury than the sweet(apart from the occasional choc)Now I'm semi-reformed Mr K is a thing of the past.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Mmm never looked at it like that,.....no,no,get thee behind me.......... :twisted: :twisted:

sixfoot

Ally you little darlin !!! there is hope for you yet :D

Hidden in your post was the line " its the type of carbs theyre eating" Spot on. If you are going to have Carbs make them Complex, certainly for T2`s ( cant speak for T1`s no knowledge )

Ich y da

Dave P

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi all,
As if to add insult to injury, the chart below is in the shape of a pie.

type2.gif

Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

So obviously not all cases of type 2 can be put down to
those people who are "not as skinny as the rest".

Dietary fats (e.g trans)
Environmental pollution
Pesticides
Excess dietary fructose
An Inherited tendancy toward insulin resistance

Could all be part of the problem.
But eating too many carbs and doing too little exercise, certainly won't help your cause.

Regards,
timo.

Nellie

Its interesting that the pie chart shoes 15% of normal weight.
Two studies which have been carried out in the UK have suggested that 1 in 10 adults who develop diabetes (without needing insulin at diagnosis) may have LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood)......This is not a condition which occurs because of obesity, lack of exercise or high blood pressure but is associated with certain genes and perhaps a triggering infection.
http://www.locallada.swan.ac.uk/treat.html

I think that Sir Steve has LADA , they certainly quote from him on the LADA site.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Sorry - I should have mentioned, those figures were from the U.S.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
BMI 30 is obese by their rating, but most people wouldn't class someone with a BMI of30 that way. The ones I think of a "obese" are the Morbidly obese 40s and up. At BMI 30, I was a dress size 20, which although large, isn't outrageous at 5 feet 8. The terminology is a "blame " thing