Massaman Curry - what to replace the potatoes with?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to cook a massaman Thai curry, most of the ingredients are low carb, except the potatoes. Anyone found a suitable replacement in this case? Would celeriac work?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made this with Cauliflower.
I just cut the floret up to bite size and cook it in the sauce.

Oh yes that would work! I was thinking of root veggies, didn’t think of cauliflower, thank you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t usually use Cauliflower rice with curry because I like it cooked in the sauce. So I shred cabbage, put it in the bottom of the bowl and pour the warm curry over top. Yum yum.

Ah that’s true, I like cauliflower rice with a curry, maybe too much cauli in one meal! Back to square one!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd try cubes of courgette aded towards the end of cooking or celeriac maybe?
Or even turnips? at 4.7g per 100g not too bad?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or..... radish? I hear they are nice roasted although have never tried then.. or mooli (similar but you could do bigger chunks..)
Radish are 1.9g per 100...

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd try cubes of courgette aded towards the end of cooking or celeriac maybe?
Or even turnips? at 4.7g per 100g not too bad?

Oh turnips, that’s an idea, would definitely fool the eye that it’s pretend potato!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or..... radish? I hear they are nice roasted although have never tried then.. or mooli (similar but you could do bigger chinks..)
Radish are 1.9g per 100...

I tried roasted radishes once as they were supposed to be close to roast potatoes, I have to disagree!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mooli / Daikon sounds like a good suggestion, as does celeriac. Turnip might work too (6g per 100g)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I’m spoilt for choice now! I think it’s going to be a chicken, celeriac, turnip, courgette, radish, mooli, daikon, butternut squash massaman with cauli rice! I’ll let you know what I pick! :hilarious::hungry:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
RRadishes, if boiled in two changes of water, are supposed to turn out like boiled potatoes - I have meant to try it, but have always ended up eating them raw.
I did once grow some 'long white icicle' radishes, which were the size, shape and colour of a large parsnip. They were good though - but a bit overwhelming as radish - as a potato substitute, however, they would be ideal.

Reactions: Rachox