1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mastering diabetes

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Condorhulse, May 5, 2021.

1. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, just a comment about different ways of expressing HbA1c results. I think the reading of 9 would be a % but 114 would be in mmol/mol so there is no valid comparison. Either way both of those readings are very clearly in the very high blood glucose range. There are lots of conversion charts and ready reckoners available online.
    And previous post has covered that!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Condorhulse, thank you for posting pictures of your meals. I was a little sceptical about your vegan approach (and I'm not going to use plant-based as a term here as it can include a greater range of foods than vegan) but I can see how it might be working. Firstly portions are relatively small and are providing a limited amount of energy. Secondly, the meals that do not include fruit are actually fairly low carbohydrate both by portion and by the use of pasta that is based on plant protein. Thirdly, the high fruit meals are providing more energy in the form of fructose which is non-insulinogenic and will not set off a cycle of insulin release - hypo - sugar craving etc. If you are then using all the glucose released by rapid release or slower digestion of the limited complex carbohydrates in your meals or by the much slower conversion of fructose into glycogen and some glucose then your glucose intake could be matching your daily energy needs over a day without any peaks and troughs.
    Are you losing weight? If so, is it weight that you want to lose?
    I'm sure others will come along to further the discussion of this rationale. Interestingly $700 would be an awful lot to pay for this approach!!!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook