May & Leadsom...Who Will Be Our Next PM?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Welshman1952 I think the arrival of all the SNP MPs have given the Commons a bit more passion and less plastic politicians. :)
Although a little part of me believes they contribute towards hung parliaments. By default.
I think the NE just don't want to be swamped with immigrants, taking jobs which are very few in good wage. Not my words, word on the streets.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Although a little part of me believes they contribute towards hung parliaments. By default.
I think the NE just don't want to be swamped with immigrants, taking jobs which are very few in good wage. Not my words, word on the streets.

What will happen if the result of this vote is there are even fewer jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I prefer Teresa May. I hope she uses her experience to make a fairer Uk. Although if all she knows is London, the same mistake will happen.
Blinkered leaders is never a good thing.
We'll see.
I genuinely like her.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Having had time to sleep on it, we are leaning towards Leadsom.

Yvonne and I who are paid up members of the Conservative party...

(it is only Conservative members who can now vote, I mention this as I don't think this is clear to everybody within this thread) ...

...are leaning towards a fresh blood leader, optimism, a committed Leaver (even though we voted Remain in the referendum)...

She does not have senior ministerial experience, she does not have expertise on many issues, but she is a passionate champion for what the majority of the country has voted for, she appears warm and compassionate and she will assemble a cabinet that makes up for what she lacks.

So, we are about 66% leaning to Leadsom, now we will listen to as many of the hustings as we can, as we want to be wise even though we are only 2 out of 150,000 of the voters who will decide:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think what bothers me more than anything is that Farage has endorsed Andrea Leadsom.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Having had time to sleep on it, we are leaning towards Leadsom.

Yvonne and I who are paid up members of the Conservative party...

(it is only Conservative members who can now vote, I mention this as I don't think this is clear to everybody within this thread) ...

...are leaning towards a fresh blood leader, optimism, a committed Leaver (even though we voted Remain in the referendum)...

She does not have senior ministerial experience, she does not have expertise on many issues, but she is a passionate champion for what the majority of the country has voted for, she appears warm and compassionate and she will assemble a cabinet that makes up for what she lacks.

So, we are about 66% leaning to Leadsom, now we will listen to as many of the hustings as we can, as we want to be wise even though we are only 2 out of 150,000 of the voters who will decide:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
At first I thought it was just the cabinet to decide. I looked up your surname incase your wife was in the cabinet.
You never know on here.
My C.V would give Leadsom a run for her money, as yours Kevin.
A varied life experience will put her in good stead.
My only concern for Teresa is the stress level of the job on her diabetes. Both not young women.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a Remainer that's my biggest concern and why I'm more inclined to vote Leadsom, but it's not settled for me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

I think May is a pragmatist and will do what's necessary to leave the EU. I see her as an efficient, cool headed and experienced woman.

I'm not a member of the party so I can't vote but if I could I would never choose Leadsom. Her CV issues seem pretty clear to me - that is, it made her out to be things she wasn't. I'm also very concerned that she's a 'UKIP candidate' and has their support.

The future of Britain frightens me. The last thing we need is a very right wing PM.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
and boris!
Not really. Boris is too much of a Notting Hill liberal for most of the party. There's a significant right wing portion of the membership that is respectably, structurally, racist and Farage/UKIP appeals to them.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think May is a pragmatist and will do what's necessary to leave the EU. I see her as an efficient, cool headed and experienced woman.

I'm not a member of the party so I can't vote but if I could I would never choose Leadsom. Her CV issues seem pretty clear to me - that is, it made her out to be things she wasn't. I'm also very concerned that she's a 'UKIP candidate' and has their support.

The future of Britain frightens me. The last thing we need is a very right wing PM.
I agree.
We need someone middle of the road but not much choice.
Anyone with extreme beliefs can be dangerous. Either way.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully whoever is the next PM will choose a better Chancellor than we have currently.

A low corporate tax rate is a great thing to target eventually, but we have far more pressing concerns within our economy, that the austerity agenda has only worsened.

We need a fresh approach.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm afraid we're going to get that, either which way :(. Superficially, May is the more "Liberal" of the two - but that's a bit like saying that Lenin was less left wing than Stalin.

The other thing that concerns me is that both of them profess to be practising Christians. It's a free country and if people want to believe in an imaginary friend that's fine by me, but the last full-on Christian PM was Tony Blair :eek:. I have never liked having a PM who believes that God is on his/her side: it makes them inflexible and convinced that they are always right - which harks back to the quote that I lifted from Private Eye, earlier in this thread.

I doubt the judgement and perception of someone who believes in a God, of whatever persuasion.

(Sorry if this offends anybody - like I say, this is a free country and I wouldn't for a moment want to deny people's right to believe in whatever they chose.....)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know I predicted a woman from the start but she will be constantly compaired to Margaret Thatcher. Which is a shame.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
and boris!

Me too and that is a question she will be asked repeatedly by the media. If she is smart as I suspect,she'll simply respond "the final decision is the sole responsibility of the Conservative membership":)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

It is definitely a sobering time

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hopefully whoever is the next PM will choose a better Chancellor than we have currently.

A low corporate tax rate is a great thing to target eventually, but we have far more pressing concerns within our economy, that the austerity agenda has only worsened.

We need a fresh approach.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

I would not want George as a friend, he's weird, but as a chancellor, I personally think he has been outstanding.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jay hay-char I think it depends on how much somebody is going to allow their religious beliefs to influence their decisions.

For sure.

What worries me - about Leadsome in particular, but actually about both of them - is that I think the answer to that question is "Quite a lot".