Type 1 Measuring sugar levels - newbie question

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

This might seem like a bit of a stupid question, but something that I am confused about since getting a CGM. I have been told to test my blood sugar 2 hours after eating and that it should at that point be below 7mmol (I have only known being type 1 and pregnant together and so maybe I have a different range now than I will post-baby). I had assumed that 7mmol is the peak of how high my sugar should be, and it shouldn't ever be higher than that. Now I have the CGM though, I am realising that 2 hours after eating is actually quite a long time, and potentially I was missing post-meal spikes that happened 30-60 minutes after eating. If my levels returned to 7 or below at 2 hours, are these anything to worry about? I've googled charts for non-diabetic blood sugars and they all seem to be highest 30-60 minutes after a meal.

I am panicking when I see my numbers start to climb above 6, regardless of how long it was after I ate - and will usually then go for walk until they begin to drop which is starting to knacker me out and making my charts a bit hard to read as I have quite a few "M" shaped spikes.

Super confused, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

For me, spikes were put into context when I saw Libre results for someone without diabetes (have a look here).
You can see someone without diabetes gets spikes and often as high as 9mmol/l.

And at the other level, I tested my boyfriend recently before and after an hour's bike ride. He does not have diabetes. His BG when from 5.3 to 4.1 in that hour.

No one has completely level charts - all of them will go up and down.
Unfortunately, a CGM with little education can be very scary to someone. Especially when all we have for guidelines are what we were told when we were just finger prick testing.

Personally, I am not scared when I see my results inch towards 10mmol/l if it is within a couple of hours of eating.

I am not a doctor, the only diabetes training I have what I have picked up on line. But after 15 years with diabetes, following this kind of approach, I have no complications from my type 1.

Reactions: Fenn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the 2 hour after starting to eat advice, and the increase of 2 whole number limit are just how people try to standardize the results and decide it a meal has been good or bad.
The modern continuous monitors are quite a recent thing, so much of the accumulated experience is from single tests.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
There are some blessed to keep within that type window. I, nor my 5 type one family members, have never been one of them. Insulin works longer than 2 hours. I just work on 'is my bg in target once my insulin is through my system' if yes, great. if not, i need to adjust it. All diabetics are different.

Reactions: EllieM