Meat - A Threat To Our Planet

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After last nights programme, which I didn't watch, my farm butcher said this on Facebook.

Elms Farm, Costock
For those of you who watched the BBC programme last night “Meat - A Threat To Our Planet” please bare in mind that most of this was about American Factory farming, and not British agricultural practices. We hope this will encourage people to support British farmers in their efforts to strive to maintain the highest welfare standards in the world. No one needs to eat steaks that cost less than a bottle of water, so why not spend a little more, talk to someone with passion and who recognises the importance of provenance and the very best quality meat, raised in the most natural way possible, free range and on grass.

D

Deleted member 308541

The anti meat brigade are more a threat to the planet.

I eat meat of all varieties as is my wont, and I will not be changing because of so called environmental reasons.

Support your local butcher / meat industry against this ********...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Animals are a reservoir of useful microorganisms which can bring deserts back into fertility. We abandon the herds and herdsmen at our peril. There are former nature reserves overseas where there is nothing to see but sand blowing on the wind because the local people and their 'damaging' grazing animals were moved off to 'protect' the natural environment.
In the UK there are many ecosystems which are maintained by grazing animals - the heath-land in the south of England and the moors in the north, the saltmarshes, woodland, wetland, water meadows and other special places exist only because of them. The New Forest has ponies which graze there until the oaks are about to drop their acorns. The ponies are rounded up and taken off the forest and the pigs are let out - the acorns would kill the ponies, but are good food for the pigs. The pigs also eat the beech mast, and they root about, breaking up the soil so that heavy rain sinks in rather than runs off the surface and the water then gets away more slowly or not at all, sinking down into the ground water so that summer droughts are less damaging. There are farmers who use pigs rather than ploughing and find soil fertility increasing year on year.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In short,
The only "meat" threatening the rock we spin on is the bipeds that thought this "sticking plaster" of a "solution" up..

It's a lot easier to sell the idea that a cow is killing the planet than condoms.. ;)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know condoms are plastic, but are they really a main culprit in climate change?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I know condoms are plastic, but are they really a main culprit in climate change?
It’s possibly more about their prevention possibilities- fewer humans.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There is a lot of research to show that meat consumption needs to be decreased to help the planet and the supply for food for all.
Which yes I am a vegan. I will not come back to this thread so comment what you want and start your arguing!

D

Deleted member 308541

Eat meat and save the planet, here's a nice rack of ram from my butchers...

76934457_1312951318892604_4614296426535452672_o.jpg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s possibly more about their prevention possibilities- fewer humans.
I assume @lucylocket61's condom comment was tongue in cheek, but regardless, it gave me the best laugh I've had for ages...

Animals "owned" our planet long before we came along, and I see no logical reason to start their mass slaughter just because someone has suddenly decided their existence is threatening ours. :banghead:

Robbity

lindisfel

Expert
There is a lot of research to show that meat consumption needs to be decreased to help the planet and the supply for food for all.
Which yes I am a vegan. I will not come back to this thread so comment what you want and start your arguing!
Hi Marie,
I think the problem of meat production is the burning and clearing of rain forest forest to feed and graze livestock.
It's a disaster and part of the driver of climate change.
regards
Derek

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...and the cattle are there to fertilise the land ready for crops....

Reactions: Robbity