Memory loss

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I've heard that diabetes can cause memory problems. Lately I've not been forgetting things per say like big important things but small things like things I've read aren't clear in my mind. Thing is I don't know if that's just normal since obviously no one remembers every single word they read or hear and can't remember conversations perfectly. Maybe I just over thinking it I know that's a problem of mine. Apologies if this sounds stupid

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpha Lipoic Acid is useful to clear brain fog. It also is good for symptoms of neuropathy. I take 300Mg daily and found it has improved my memory.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been getting low blood glucose on a regular basis, then yes that may also cause damages to brain cells.

You may want to consider taking some virgin coconut oil/mct oil to maintain adequate fuel for the brain while you figure what could be causing your low blood glucose levels...

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing to add is It hasn't even been a month since I was diagnosed so I don't know if it'd work that quick

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking statins? Some people report memory loss through these.

It could also be stress following diagnosis causing it.

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking statins? Some people report memory loss through these.

It could also be stress following diagnosis causing it.
All I'm on is glicazide and only half a tablet a day and honestly I'm not stressed about it at all now

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a Google round for Gliclazide and memory loss. There does seem to be some connection, but not sure how valid it is.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I remember right, you have posted about low blood levels.
When this happens, brain fug happens, I get to thinking that it's the brains coping mechanism, amongst other symptoms.
But these are treatable by getting your blood levels closer to normal levels as much as possible. The longer you maintain control the more the symptoms dissipate.
You still won't remember but you will remember more in the future.

In my case, I have read books, and I've reread them and it was as if I had not read them the first time! Getting my money's worth!

Best wishes.

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I remember right, you have posted about low blood levels.
When this happens, brain fug happens, I get to thinking that it's the brains coping mechanism, amongst other symptoms.
But these are treatable by getting your blood levels closer to normal levels as much as possible. The longer you maintain control the more the symptoms dissipate.
You still won't remember but you will remember more in the future.

In my case, I have read books, and I've reread them and it was as if I had not read them the first time! Getting my money's worth!

Best wishes.
Thing is I'm not forgetting exactly like I remember everything I've ever done and how it happened and like overall I rem,ever but it's small details like if I reread something I'd remember it sounding familiar. I just don't know if I'm over thinking

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thing is I'm not forgetting exactly like I remember everything I've ever done and how it happened and like overall I rem,ever but it's small details like if I reread something I'd remember it sounding familiar. I just don't know if I'm over thinking

You see, you are questioning yourself, which is one of the small symptoms of anxiety.
Low blood levels will give you similar symptoms.
You do not have the condition only the symptoms.
Getting your levels and balance of your diet is paramount and you must get yourself sorted with your meds.
Try and not be too obsessive about your symptoms, but be careful of low levels until you get sorted.

Best wishes.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
My memory loss is mostly forgetting names, forgetting numbers, forgetting where things are placed or misplaced, forgetting to take many drugs in series sometimes, and lacking concentration, sort of like a fugue sometimes. I don't know if diabetes low or high is significant, or alternatively the beginning of dementia.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My memory loss is mostly forgetting names, forgetting numbers, forgetting where things are placed or misplaced, forgetting to take many drugs in series sometimes, and lacking concentration, sort of like a fugue sometimes. I don't know if diabetes low or high is significant, or alternatively the beginning of dementia.

Why not get tested then?

Theres lots of things that can cause memory loss, not just dementia... and lots of things that can cause concentration problems...

And theres a big difference between the two... and then theres short term / long term memory too!

A GP can help identify whats happening... certainly worth having b12/flate and d3 blood tests done..

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Why not get tested then?

Theres lots of things that can cause memory loss, not just dementia... and lots of things that can cause concentration problems...

And theres a big difference between the two... and then theres short term / long term memory too!

A GP can help identify whats happening... certainly worth having b12/flate and d3 blood tests done..

Thank you for your advice donnellysdogs; next appointment I will ask about the memory change.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's always been the case with me, and I've only had raised bg comparatively recently. I like to read detective stories, and sometimes towards the very end of one I'm re-reading I do remember whodunnit, but that's quite gratifying as I can never work it out unaided.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I've heard that diabetes can cause memory problems. Lately I've not been forgetting things per say like big important things but small things like things I've read aren't clear in my mind. Thing is I don't know if that's just normal since obviously no one remembers every single word they read or hear and can't remember conversations perfectly. Maybe I just over thinking it I know that's a problem of mine. Apologies if this sounds stupid
The more you worry / over-think, the more you'll tend to forget things. (I should know!) Which is not to say you are not also suffering from a bit of brain fog due to hypos if you are T1.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Why not get tested then?

The test I got from my GP after mentioning my poor memory for over 10 years was to draw a clock and remember a few names. I better not tell you what they're looking for. As for the names, they actually chose the name of someone I knew very well, I just had to remember an address to go with the name.

I don't think I was taken at all seriously, possibly because my poor memory isn't a problem in their eyes, but infuriating to me. I also have problems with things that I used to do without effort. Trouble is how do I explain to somebody that I used to be able to plot a course from Portsmouth to Caen (northern France), taking into account time of day, tides and wind direction, speed of boat etc without much effort. Now I struggle even with a crib sheet. So, something has changed, but nobody really cares.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You can also ask to go to a memory clinic.

The gp do give basic tests only but from them they can tell whether its memory or concentration....

Write down changes and tell the Gp That uts difficult to even remember that without writing them down.

I have never been able to remember a film even when its just finished... i have no idea why..
Yet other things that I classify as really important can remain sharp, yet others impossible. I got lost on way back from dog walk couple months ago... walked the route for 3 months but got totally disorientated yet bloods were fine...

You need to speak to Gp and even ask for an MRI brain scan if seriously worried. You do have options.

You may need to prove that your bloods were ok when forgetful session occurs...
Keep log books and instances and make sure you know that bloods are not the cause at the time...

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, if you are worried about alzheimers , then it might be worthwhile getting a book by Amy Berger on the subject. she explains how a ketogenic diet can improve memory . Given its also helpful for diabetes, its a win win to consider it !