Metformin dosage

Laconic

my HBIAc was 110 a month ago since then I’ve been on metformin increasing fortnightly, started on 500mg for two weeks then 1000mg for two weeks and today will be 1500mg for two weeks, with a final increase to 2000mg in two weeks time.
I am getting finger prick readings of 4.7 before eating and 5-5.5 after.
I stopped gliclazide because it was pushing my sugars too low and I was getting blurred vision.
With the current readings I am getting should I be taking such a high dose of metformin, or be looking to stop it

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Laconic

we can't advise as to meds etc, so do seek doctors advice
i only speak as my personal experiences and for which I take full responsibility..

i take it you ARE T2D?

pretty sure most dosages are for the step up, as you have to 2000mg
mine certainly was..
2 at am
2 for pm

i'd say that newly Dx i'd want as much help as possible until i got back to prediabetic numbers at least.

btw blurry vision can also be caused by the BG levels fluctuating, many get it.
the advise is NOT to purchase new glasses until levels stabilise.
(sadly mine never did, so an eye check at opticians is now way overdue.)

metformin has a reputation for performing other benefits besides just T2D,
(google benefits of Metformin)
so i have stayed on mine, but recently i read up that that 2000mg MIGHT be too much over a long period
luckily or sadly i had been most forgetful of the evening dose, so have been running at that for a good while (1000mg)
i was Dx back in aug last year, and began met almost immediately.

i got into normal (40) numbers in july this year, so it doesn't seem to have done me too much harm dropping down.
my next blood test is on tuesday, that should reveal if dropping some of the met, which does have a pretty tame reputation,
really has had much of an impact or is it my diet doing all the heavy work ?

Good luck finding an answer for YOU.

Reactions: ziggy_w

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Medication is always something to be discussed between you and your Dr, but for context from my experience so far:

Unless the medication is causing side effects I wouldn't bother considering knocking it off.

From what i have seen and read you need a good 2 or 3 clear HBA1C tests before you come off it – that’s maybe a year or more. People who come off it do sometimes see their levels rise again.

I am in the same position, a change in diet in august dropped my figures over night from a diagnosis at 87, im waiting for end of Nov to see what my 3 monthly HBA1C test comes in at.

Im not planning on dropping meds unless i get a good few results and im happy my diet is sustainable. IE i found my first month i was being ultra-careful with food and as the months progress im still being very careful but some things are slipping slightly.

Also the metformin comes with other benefits as described above, not least for me I really feel its decreasing my appetite.

*Edit also the 2000mg a day dose is considered to be the optimal dose with more not giving you more benefit, while less reduces the benefit. I saw the speciality Dr at the diabetic centre 1 month in and demonstrated my results over the month were very good and he still increased my dose to 2000mg from 1500 mg.

Reactions: ziggy_w and jjraak

Laconic

I think I more want to change my doctors opinions, from being told I would be on meds forever.
I haven’t told hcp’s that I’ve stopped Gliclazide, but they didn’t believe that I would be low carbing and how high carb and sugar I was prior to dx

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yea there are lots of drs out there who are of the view that you never stop taking Metformin once your on it.

The principle they work on is that you may well already have a 50% reduced pancreas function so metforming helps support the already stressed system, so why ever stop it as the beta cells are not going to regenerate.

Laconic

But if you come down to non diabetic levels rapidly how will you know how your pancreas is performing unless you stop the metformin and see how well your diet is performing for you

Stuzey

First post, but I often read the forums for help

Like others have stated, I can only comment on personal experience

I was diagnosed at the end of June, my HBA1C was 97. I was on one gliclazide in the morning and two 500mg metformin with my evening meals. My BMI was on the verge of hitting 30, too many packets of crisps in front of netflix, so I had a full overhaul of diet and exercise (mainly walking).

My first review was after two weeks, where I was told I could drop the gliclazide

On subsequent reviews I did say I was determined to fight, I didn't want to be on medication for any longer than I had to be, but would always do what the Dr advised.

By the time of my three monthly review (End of September), I had got my BMI down to a healthy level, having lost around 20% of my weight, My HBA1C came back at 33, I came off all medication at this point, my next review is in December.

Similar to yourself I was getting blurred vision for a while, this returned to normal after a few months, from what I understand, this is fairly common as the eyes adjust to the lower blood sugar.

I kept a food diary, which also included weight, blood sugar results and steps walked per day, I also had appointments with a dietitian, who reported back to doctors. This may have helped prove how seriously I was taking diabetes.

I think the bottom line is, to keep doing what you are doing, keep those numbers low and listen to what the doctor says, we're all different, if you prove you can control blood sugar levels, who knows what the doctor will say.

mouseee

My diabetic nurse and I kind of agreed that I'd I get to less than 40 beford we'll consider reducing it. My first hba1 after dx was 46.
I'm on 2000 a day.

Laconic

My doctor and other Hcp’s aren’t keen on diet alone I think I will eventually look to register elsewhere

D

Deleted member 308541

I was only on 2 x 500mg Metformin, one twice a day with meals.

I have been off of them completely for the last six months, I am just managing it with a moderate lchf food plan.