METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

ZeeZeeBoo

Thank you Jane, I've noticed they always give different makes of the metformin and simva. I've been on different types of antibiotics for several weeks now too, can never get a day without, so it's all getting to me now.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Metformin

This might sound ridiculous but can Metformin make your glucose readings go higher?

Was started on it when my hba1c went to 7.0 after having kept it down round the 6.5 mark for 18 months...but readings i'm getting on my freestyle lite monitor are now averaging 8.5, with most 2 hour poat prandials in double figures.

Am thinking about stopping it for a week to see if my readings come down any.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Re: Metformin

I don't believe that Met will increase BG, it could be that your meter has just gone wrong and no longer gives true readins. Have you checked your meter with the supplied control solution to make sure it's within the normal ranges?

I have two meters and one has actually gone duff, it shows 3 points higher than my new one. If the old one shows 9.8 my new one shows something like 6.5.

Feebiecat

Slow release Metformin - take AM or PM?

Hello,

I just wanted to pick some brains please!

I have changed from normal Metformin to slow release because of side effects. My doctor told me to take two on a morning after breakfast to start with (2 x 500 then in few weeks increase to 750 or 850 whatever it is). I read the leaflet and in there is says most people take at night after their evening meal. I'm curious if anyone knows whether it's best to take them morning or night?

Thanks
Feebs
x

Sue Morton

Re: Slow release Metformin - take AM or PM?

Hi, most people from what I have read on this forum take metformin in the morning and at night, or if taking 3 times a day after lunch.

I take 1x500mg in morning after breakfast then 1x500mg after evening meal. Are you taking them after your breakfast. I does seem a bit odd that your tablets are not spread through the day i.e. 1 in morning and 1 at night both after meals (although you can take them during your meal).

I would see what my BS is after your eveing meal (2 to 3 hours later) and then also what it is before you have breakfast and depending on this and if you are eating the correct food I would speak with your doctor or DN and ask if you can take them 1 morning and 1 after evening meal.

I am not sure how long the slow release lasts for. It might even be a good idea to speak to your chemist and ask him because if the slow release time doesn't take you through to the evening or the next morning then your BS could become a problem. So you will need to keep your eye on your BS with that you can then go back to your doctor and talk to him about it.

Every body is different so 2xmetformin in the morning may work for you only time will tell.

Good luck
Sue :)

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Re: Metformin

Ka-Mon said:
I don't believe that Met will increase BG, it could be that your meter has just gone wrong and no longer gives true readins. Have you checked your meter with the supplied control solution to make sure it's within the normal ranges?

I have two meters and one has actually gone duff, it shows 3 points higher than my new one. If the old one shows 9.8 my new one shows something like 6.5.

Am hoping its something simple like that, dont have any control solution that i can think of, but i did replace monitor after about a year so it should be accurate, though i just had a waking bg of 9.1 the highest since before diagnosis and yet am not getting the symptoms i would have had when bg was last this high, raging thirsts, frequent urination, thrush etc.

Puzzling!

harv

Should I go onto metformin?

Hello. I am 65 and have had type 2 diabetes for about 3 years and controlled on diet only.
My BP and cholesterol are managed with tablets. I have angina. I am fairly fit and exercise regularly.
My GP wants to put me onto metformin but my HbaIc is only 6.3. The NICE guidance says metformin when Hba1c is 6.5 or more.
Is there any evidence that I will benefit from metformin at this stage?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Re: Should I go onto metformin?

Hi Harv,

I have been on the metformin for 6 months. Gave me a dodgy tummy for a few days at first but soon settled down.

The Metformin for me helps iron out the BG peaks as i take it with main meals. I also understand it helps my muscles and organs use the insulin that my failing pancreas produces.

I would have no hesitation in taking the metformin at all. Perhaps you will only need a small dosage as you are clearly well controlled.

All the best

Carl

harv

Thanks Carl
What worries me is that my Hba1c is under 6.5 and therefore according to NICE, I should remain on lifestyle measures (ie diet control). My GP says he doesn't believe in that anymore but can't back his opinion up with any concrete evidence. I am sure that metformin won't do me any harm, but are there any positive advantages to me at this stage in my diabetes. I feel that by going onto metformin at this stage, I will be progressing to a further stage in my diabetes and I have been working so hard to keep good control.
Harv

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

It is your diabetes and if your doctor can't come up with anything better than " he doesn't believe in that anymore " then I would stick to diet only for as long as you can.

Metformin, like all medication, has side effects which you may or may not get but personally I wouldn't take it if it is not yet necessary for your good control.

Feebiecat

When best to take slow release Metformin

Hi

I have changed to slow release Metformin after seeing an increase in side effects of normal Metformin over the last year.

My doctor said to take in the morning after breakfast but having read the leaflet it said to take at night with/after evening meal. Does anybody know which would be better?

Also can anyone advise me if they changed to slow release but still experienced side effects and for how long?
I would love to come off this but my doctor is not keen as the only alternative at this stage would be Gliz..(whatever it's called!) and apparantly that will make it harder for me to lose weight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Feebs
x

griffy

Dislikes
Being restricted! Taking tablets!! Not understanding things.
Metformin - how quick does it work?

Dear all :D

I was diagnosed T2 about 2 months ago with a fasting bg of 10. Since then I've been on Metformin (500 x 3), lost a stone (only 3 more to go!) and increased my dog walking plus last week started swimming (ain't I a saint!!) :p

After about 10 days of being diagnosed my bg had dropped to a fasting reading of somewhere in the 7's (7.2 thru to 7.9) and stayed relatively constant at those levels.

My question is does Metformin kick in and drop the bg level immediately or is it a drip-feed effect over months/years? I'm just thinking that although I've changed my diet and upped the exercise, I may need to keep a more careful eye on things like carbs to get the bg level down even more if Metformin has done its job and is now simply maintaining a lower level? However, given a reasonably serious change to my diet already (oh how I miss my Cadbury's flakes!) I do wonder if most of the initial drop in bs is down to change of diet and how much is due to Metformin?

I'm off to see my Diabetic GP on Friday so will ask these questions then but would be interested in the Forum members experiences as I've been watching people's signatures where their bgs have been gradually dropping over years and it's left me wondering how this all works?

Thank-you!
Griffy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Metformin - how quick does it work?

Metformin will typically only drop your Bg levels by around 1-2 mmol/l and that is when you are on the max dose of 2g.

As to how fast it acts well, I take mine and levels usually start to drop after an hour or so but diet is the real key to BG levels. Anybody who takes the meds and thinks that's all they need to do needs to think again. You say you have changed your diet, what sort of method are you using now ? Do you test your Bg levels throughout the day, keep a food diary as we recommend. Therein will probably lie a clue to what is happening.

Have you read the info for newly diagnosed that Sue or I regularly post here, others copy and post it too so it must be doing some good. The business with carbs is simply explained there and should help get a better understanding of what things to avoid.

There is a thread in Diabetes Medication and Drugs entitled 'Metformin Questions and Answers' where you will find much information about the drug. There is also another thread titled 'Metformin' which gives the information about the drug. Worth a read.

Ken

juditb

does metformin initially make you feel worse and what happen

I was diagnosed over a year ago but after trying to rid myself of diabetes with exercise and diet, i have finally given in and started to take metformin. Is it normal to feel worse at first. Having eliminated sugar from my diet and most carbohydrates, I have not had the sugar symptoms for some time and starting on metformin, i feel hyper some of the time and clammy and wake with a racing heartbeat sometimes. Is this normal? It settles down but...
Also I forgot a dose last night, how do i make up for it?
I thought metformin was supposed to curb your appetite but in my case i never had an appetite and now I am often hungry, does that mean it is working?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is the place for all your questions about Metformin ...........please try not to ask about other subjects here, they can be asked elsewhere such as the 'Ask a Question' section.

We have noticed that there are many duplicated questions about this drug which is starting to get confusing and fragmented. We shall be merging those questions and answers into here.

So if you recently asked a question about Metformin and now can't find it, this is where your post and the answers will probably end up.........a one stop shop hopefully !

cugila
Forum Monitor

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: When best to take slow release Metformin

Feebiecat said:
Hi

I have changed to slow release Metformin after seeing an increase in side effects of normal Metformin over the last year.

My doctor said to take in the morning after breakfast but having read the leaflet it said to take at night with/after evening meal. Does anybody know which would be better?

Also can anyone advise me if they changed to slow release but still experienced side effects and for how long?
I would love to come off this but my doctor is not keen as the only alternative at this stage would be Gliz..(whatever it's called!) and apparantly that will make it harder for me to lose weight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Feebs
x

It depends which brand you are taking........information from BNF59

Glucophage SR.
Dose: Adult and child over 10 years initially 500 mg with breakfast for at least 1 week then 500 mg with breakfast and evening meal for at least 1 week then 500 mg with breakfast, lunch and evening meal; usual max. 2 g daily in divided doses

OR

Bolamyn SR
Dose: Initially 500 mg once daily, increased every 10–15 days, max. 2 g once daily with evening meal; if control not achieved, use 1 g twice daily with meals, and if control still not achieved change to standard-release tablets

You need to check which you have and discuss this with your GP as often the doses can be varied for reasons known only to the HCP themselves.

The alternative you mentioned is called Gliclazide. I was on this and did put on weight, however after making a concerted effort to lose weight I found that I could cut the Glic and now don't take any. Not everybody get's to put weight on as some posters can testify.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: does metformin initially make you feel worse and what ha

juditb said:
I was diagnosed over a year ago but after trying to rid myself of diabetes with exercise and diet, i have finally given in and started to take metformin. Is it normal to feel worse at first. Having eliminated sugar from my diet and most carbohydrates, I have not had the sugar symptoms for some time and starting on metformin, i feel hyper some of the time and clammy and wake with a racing heartbeat sometimes. Is this normal? It settles down but...

Do you check your Bg levels throughout the day as some of the symptoms you describe could be down to high or low Bg levels. Testing is the only way to know which.

Also I forgot a dose last night, how do i make up for it?

You just take your normal dose at the next time. You do not make up a missed dose.
I thought metformin was supposed to curb your appetite but in my case i never had an appetite and now I am often hungry, does that mean it is working?

Hunger is often a symptom of low blood sugars. Test to find out if that is the case.

Ken.

juditb

Thanks so much for your answers. they all seem logical and I will try and test them out. Also I was told to take metformin at lunchtime and in the evening as my morning levels are high but they improve during the day. Does that sound logical?
Thanks again,
Judit

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Re: how do I search for metformin

Something I extracted from the top (locked) link above:

"Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Metformin before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery."

What could happen? I went to the dentist yesterday and told them I was diabetic but they just asked if I was injecting (which I am not) I didn't know then to tell them I was taking Metformin. Has anyone had any bad effects on their health?

I also suffer from perpetual headaches. I did a test stopping Metformin for a week but at the end of the week I got two days' headaches. I assumed that proved that Metformin wasn't the cause so I started taking it again but now wonder since the headaches continue, if Metformin could still have been active in my blood?

I think I should have posted this on the Metformin thread so please move it if necessary! Thanks

anniep

I went to the dentist 2 weeks ago and they very much wanted to know about my metformin, in fact all my medication, by name.