METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Another Metformin question.

Ken

Thanks for the info, I thought i was doing it right, The doctor told me me several months ago when i started on them to take 2 in morning and 2 with my evening with meals, was starting to doubt myself when the pharmacist said take 4 at a time :shock: :shock:

Brian

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Re: Another Metformin question.

IanD said:
Thanks to all who have replied.
My advice is based on my experience - & I followed the advice from the experience of others. The closer we can get to non-diabetic BG the better for long term health.

We are told by the professionals that diabetes is progressive - diet--tablets--more tablets--insulin--complications---

I followed the DUK advice for 8 years, maintaining a fasting BG around 6.8. I was up to 3 mf daily. I had crippling leg muscle pains & the beginning of retina damage after being good & obedient. I then came on this forum & began a reduced carb diet. Immediately my fasting BG dropped below 6. Within 3 months the pains had gone, & now after 2 years, the retinopathy has gone.

The Dr was happy with my control - HbA1c=6.7 but my body was not.

Hi IanD, my fasting BGs, morning and evenings are usually in the mid to high 5s, I've also had quite a few low to mid 4s. Midday is always higher though, between 6 and 7. I don't know if this is because I only take 1 Metformin in the morning. I'm going to speak with my GP next and ask him if I should take two in the morning and two in the evening or two in the morning and 1 each at luch and supper.

I've also had a couple of hypos between lunch and supper if I did not eat on time although I was told that you can't go hypo on Metformin. :?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Metformin and tummy

I have posted on other metformin sites, but I started on just low dose, one a day for first 2 wks, no loose bowls, maybe a little the other way, but my tummy feels so sore like it is burning inside, this has only started since medication, could this be the cause, will it go away if so. I am going on holiday for 3 weeks on Sunday would rather not feel like this, supposed to see GP when I get back, not sure I will continue with meds until after hols though!

Advice please?

P.S. Not falling asleep in chair at night, so should be thankful, although such a busy week workwise, so hot in bed cannot sleep, think I might welcome that drowsiness right now :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Medication again!

Metformin again, but different subject! My GP last week decided to start me on Metformin as she put it, my sugar gradually creeping up, having gone from high to relatively low since diagnosis and being on diet only. I met a colleague yesterday, also T2 diagnosed just a few months ahead of me, I asked if he was on Meds yet, he said no as his GP was pleased his levels going down, last check 6.7, mine is 5.7 so I feel a bit miffed and mystified, does this sound right to you :?:

amiee

Re: Medication again!

I was srarted on 2 metformin when diagnosed, this has been reduced to one per day like you my results are good last ones 5 so I thought I would be able to go diet controlled.
Dr says no as she says keeping on one helps protect pancriatic function.
She has been very good at letting me stay off statins and my cholesterol has came down from 8 to 3.7 and is heavy on the happy stuff. So as she has been good with me and seems to know what shes on I am quite happy to stay on it unless something changes.
I did have a lot of weight loss on two pills but that has leveled out now on one.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is the place for all your questions about Metformin ...........please try not to ask about other subjects here, they can be asked elsewhere such as the 'Ask a Question' section.

We have noticed that there are many duplicated questions about this drug which is starting to get confusing and fragmented. Over the next few days we shall be merging those questions and answers into here. So if you recently asked a question about Metformin and now can't find it, this is where your post and the answers will probably end up.........a one stop shop hopefully !

cugila
Forum Monitor

MRSDUMPLIN

Help with meds please

Hi,

I could use some help,

Since I started low carb dieting my bg levels have come right down they generally they look like this. 6-7 fasting 7.5 post breakfast then they level out around 4.1 - 4.5, I'm on 4 x 500 glucopharge (SR metfromin) 2 am 2pm

Do you think its time to reduce this if so which would you reduce ? am pr pm?

Thanks
MrsD

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Help with meds please

You should not change any medication without first discussing it with your GP or other HCP.

Ken

mrsmousemat

Re: Metformin and thyroxin...up and down...

Metformin and thyroxin...up and down...

Ellit » June 28th, 2010, 8:08 pm
My underactive thyroid came first and 2 years later I became type 2 diabetic.I have been taking 100mg a day thyroxin and 1500mg metformin.My latest blood tests have just come back and I've been asked to up my metformin to 2000mg a day as my HBa1c is 7.6(last one was 7.3)and I'm also told that I'm bordering on being overactive thyroid now with TSH of .19 and need another blood test in 3 months.

Do the two have any bearing on each other?

Just upped the metformin and gone back to the nasty tummy which I had when I first took them! Is it always like this?

I'm interested in your question as I'm practically on the same medication - but with slow relaese Metformin.

I don't feel any different - hypothyoid-wise but whn I get my next check, I'll let you know.

It's not an answer to your question... but I found it almost impossible to lose weight when I was on Thyroxine alone.

Once I started Metformin it became relatively possible, so I would think the two balance each other out, as Metformin is supposed to help you lose weight - if you are on a reasonable diet.

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just changed to Glucophage and noticed the difference nearly immediately:no more bags of spare clothes for me! :wink:
Still not sure about the thyroxine/metformin link, even if there is any but hope it's right that now I've increased to 2000mg glucophage that losing some weight will be easier.We'll see what the next thyroid blood test comes out at .
Look forward to hearing your next results Mrs Mousemat. :p

theonlysbf

metfartin
I take 2 x 500 glusophage SR, without huge problems, I still fart, but then again I always have.
I started on the others and gave up the will to live after 2 weeks with all the symptoms you have. I have even had the Generic SR metfartin I dont tolerate those either. My first HBA1C was very high I now have 6.3 which the DN is happy with.
Try the SR version they are definetly different not perfect but your body and these drugs are trying to put right a very complex issue, that if you dont get under control will shorten your life. :D

MichaelUK

Slow release metformin

Hiya everyone

Just a quick question i will be moving onto slow release metformin today once i have collected my presciption (chemist really busy going back in an hour for it)

Doctor told me to take it as follows, 2(750mg) tablets once a day around tea time, i queried this but he said yes both at the same time. Is this correct it was not my usual doctor who is great with my diabetes but he is on holiday this week.

Any ways thought i check with the experts on this forum because sometime the doctors get it wrong.

Many thanks
Michael

mcmoby69

Dislikes
blinkered people
Re: Slow release metformin

metformin has its side effects, usually toilet problems! ie the runs and wind. the normal metformin is usually the cuplrit tho. splitting metformin doses is not unusual amongst t2's mainly to lessen any side effects. the'slow release' tablets have a coating on them to slow the absorption down so dont go breaking em in half. if you do have probs taking both tabs at the same time i cant see why you shouldnt split it. still the same dose at the end of the day innit?
GP's dont know everything about diabetes hence the title GP = General Practioner. :lol:
some know more than others but i have edumacated mine twice the last two times i have been there :roll: its a shame more doctors dont listen to what their patients say, just remember you are the main part of your own health care!

please note i am not medically qualified (diagnosed 02 and been on every med in the world! ) suppose you could call me a time served diabetic 'no qualifications just experience' :lol:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.

It seems that the only reason why they tell y ou take it once a day is that you might forget to take one if you split the dosage. Maybe some GPs think that diabetics have no brains.

What are the potential benefits of this preparation?

As Glucophage SR is taken only once-a-day it is thought that it will help improve compliance. That is to say patients are less likely to miss a once-daily dose as opposed to a three times-a-day dosing regime. It may also cause less in the way of gastrointestinal upset. Patients may also find the tablets easier to swallow.

http://www.diabetesuffolk.com/Drugs/Glucophage.htm

cugila

Master
Dislikes

MichaelUK said:
Hiya everyone

Just a quick question i will be moving onto slow release metformin today once i have collected my presciption (chemist really busy going back in an hour for it)

Doctor told me to take it as follows, 2(750mg) tablets once a day around tea time, i queried this but he said yes both at the same time. Is this correct it was not my usual doctor who is great with my diabetes but he is on holiday this week.

Any ways thought i check with the experts on this forum because sometime the doctors get it wrong.

Many thanks
Michael

I presume it is Glucophage SR you will be taking as the dose is two 750mg with meals normally. So what your GP stated is correct.

It is usual to start you off on the lower 500mg once daily so you need to be careful that you don't get the typical Met side effects of wind/runs etc. If you have been told to take 2 x 750mg tabs together then that is what you should do. Do not split the dose unless you have discussed this with your GP first and confirmed that this is what you should do.

If you split the dose in any way you will be decreasing its efficacy as it is a slow release tablet and is designed to be released into the system in one go and then releases the Met slowly over the most effective period to counteract any rising Bg levels. Whilst it is the same overall daily total splitting the dose is NOT what you should do, timing is important with slow release meds, as is medical advice as to how to take them....something we are not allowed to do on this Forum.

Here is the BNF59 dosing instructions which your GP will usually have consulted before prescribing the medication.

Dose
Initially 500 mg once daily, increased every 10–15 days, max. 2 g once daily with evening meal; if control not achieved, use 1 g twice daily with meals, and if control still not achieved change to standard-release tablets.

If in any doubt please discuss this with the GP concerned before changing any dose instructions.

Ken

MichaelUK

Thanks for the replies.

I started taking the two tablet dose Glucophage SR last night i hope these work because since i went up to 1 500mg three times a day i have had nasty bouts of the runs, if not not sure what they will do with me lol my doctors says metformin is the best for tyoe 2 so i need to stick with it.

Plus it aint helping that i am going through a complete house rewire and new kitchen installed thanks to my local council lol, my meals plans have gone to pot and i am stressed over the state of the house and got no cooker at moment so relying on friends and family for cooking which aint helping.

So i think have of the problem is the stress and the other half the metformin.

Michael

ZeeZeeBoo

Recently increased my medication to four SR metformin and the 40mg simva a day.. feel like I'm dying at the moment. Anyone got any encouragement for me.. I'm so ready just not to take it tomorrow.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Zeezee.
You don't mention how recently......??

Medication can take a little while to settle down and you can sometimes think that it just isn't worth it. However, speaking from my own experience give them around 4 weeks before you start thinking about coming off the drugs. No pain.....no gain !

In any case always discuss this with your GP before taking any action. If you are very concerned about the side effects then speak to the GP now.

Ken

ZeeZeeBoo

Thanks Ken its just been a few days since I've increased from 3 tablets to 4 as my last blood test with doc was 9.9. Talk of me trying Byetta but they'd rather I increased the metformin too. I'm told the side effects with the byetta are nasty too. It's a nightmare, can't work, tummy is constantly painful, taking antibiotics too as my kidneys and bladder are infected and wake up sometimes 2 or 3 times a night to race to the toilet, dizzy, windy, incontinent, clammy all over.

jane22

Don't be afraid of discussing Byetta. I have used it for just over 5 weeks and have had some great results. My BG's are right down and well within NICE guide lines. I had some nausea, especially when I went to the higher dose but it has passed now and I find the drug very easy to use. It took me several months to agree to try it and now I wish I'd had it long before.
I also use Metformin. It might be worth you looking at the make. I always had Glucophage SR (Merk)and then one day my pharmacist decided to give me a generic make. I questioned it but he said it was exactly the same and unless my doc requested Merk he could give me any make he wished. Well after a few weeks of upset bowel and quite a lot of stomache aches I went to see my nurse and she asked me if anything was different. Then the light went on, my problems started shortly after this different make. So she went straight to the doc and got me a prescription for the original drug. She said this had happened to other patients and there must be something slightly different that upset me. My problems settled within a few days.
I was told by the nurse to take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening with food. My consultant said if I wished I could take it all with breakfast but I didn't cope well that way. She didn't mind either way but thought it would save me remembering it in the evening.