METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

griffy

Dislikes
Being restricted! Taking tablets!! Not understanding things.
Re: Metformin - how quick does it work?

Thanks Ken,

As I thought, I need to keep a closer eye on my diet. I've reduced the carbs hugely, but more need to go as I still sneak a couple of slices of wholemeal in on the quiet! I think the initial shock of being diagnosed had worn off and I'd relaxed a bit too much - time to refocus.

After a visit to a clinical nutritionist it's been discovered I'm intolerant to citrus fruits (there's me been enjoying my oranges!!). Was quite an interesting experience and worth finding out about a few other things my body wasn't accepting very easily such as beef and lamb.

Onward and upward - well downward in the case of the Bgs!

Thanks for your feedback, as always it keeps me on the straight and narrow :p

Griffy x

izzyroo

metformin and gliclazide

Hi all, I was diagnosed diabetic about two months ago. Ive had awful trouble with the Metformin. I started off on two a day, which was ok fo about five weeks then when i had a blood test the diabetic nurse decided to put them up to four a day. I started with awful stomach pains, like really bad irritable bowel. Also felt ill in myself. No energy, and quite wasted sort of feeling. I went back to doctor and he put me on the time release ones. Still the same though. So i went back again and now im on one Metformin twice a day again and one gliclazide a day. Im hoping i will start to feel better soon. Since ive had the diagnoses i have felt worse than i did before. Has anyone else had this and such a reaction to Metformin? Thanks

trand

Metformin itch

Hi All, I am t2 and on metformin, I was wondering if anybody else has had any itching, I have notice just laterly that sometimes I get these little bumps like a insect bite come up. but it seems it happens after I have eaten , never had this happen before , and although am now watching my diet, have not changed it too much, so it can not be a allergic reaction trand

phil.short

Metformin and hypos

I have been dx diabetic for 6 months now. I was dx type 1 and on insulin injections to start, but was borderline and responded well too well (!) to that and was downgraded to type 2 after about 6 weeks as I was starting to flirt with hypos. When tested again my pancreas had started producing insulin again, so I am now on Metformin.

At first I was fine on Metformin and keeping my BG constant at around 5.5, up to 8/9 after meals. I have to admit I got bored with taking measurements as it was always about the same, and got lax about checking.

Lately though I have been regularly having hypo symptoms, and started checking BG again to find it in the low 4's. I do have a problem with stomach upsets and diareaha with the metformin if I don't eat enough, so I do end up feeling hypo, with the trots and stomach cramps and no appetite.

I have other medical issues (Sarcoidosis - it's probable my Diabetes was steroid induced from the Prenisolone I take to control this).

I didn't think I could get hypos on Metformin. Is this normal? My understanding was that it works by decreasing insulin resistance making the little insulin I produce more effective, but surely if I haven't eaten then there is no insulin to be resistant to? I think I have missed something!

While I was on insulin I was adjusting my levels according to diet and BG pretty well. Is this something that should be done with Metformin? I take 1000mg twice a day, should I reduce this if I don't feel too good and have no appetite?

A

Anonymous

A reminder to all members

This is the place for all your questions about Metformin ...........please do not ask about other subjects here, they can be asked elsewhere such as the 'Ask a Question' section.

We have noticed that there are many duplicated questions and answers about this drug which is starting to get confusing for everybody and fragmented. We shall be merging those questions into here as and when they are posted.

So if you recently asked a question about Metformin and now can't find it, this is where your post and the answers will end up.........a one stop shop hopefully !

phil.short

Er, thanks, maybe. So my question, instead of being listed as a new thread, is now buried on page 16 of some humongous thread people probably never bother reading any more because of the size. Not really sure that's going to help me get the answers I'm looking for. :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
phil.short said:
Er, thanks, maybe. So my question, instead of being listed as a new thread, is now buried on page 16 of some humongous thread people probably never bother reading any more because of the size. Not really sure that's going to help me get the answers I'm looking for. :roll:

Your post isn't 'buried'.......it is in the correct place for Metformin Questions. The reason was clearly explained by the Moderator and is what now happens on this Forum. Keeps things clear and simple on the board.

As to what members do in relation to posts that is their choice. Most tend to look at active topics and read the posts in each thread. There also may well be an answer to your particular question already answered here which you can find by looking back or doing a 'keyword' search of the thread. Saves having to duplicate things. However, I am sure in due course you will get answers to your question about Metformin.

cugila
Forum Monitor

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Metformin itch

trand said:
Hi All, I am t2 and on metformin, I was wondering if anybody else has had any itching, I have notice just laterly that sometimes I get these little bumps like a insect bite come up. but it seems it happens after I have eaten , never had this happen before , and although am now watching my diet, have not changed it too much, so it can not be a allergic reaction trand

Metformin has some side effects which can cause a number of skin problems, however it is also the case that there are many other causes of Dermatological problems. Whether it is from dugs, allergies or other causes is anybody's guess.

I would suggest you get this checked out by your GP asap and if necessary a referral to a Dermatologist.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: metformin and gliclazide

izzyroo said:
Hi all, I was diagnosed diabetic about two months ago. Ive had awful trouble with the Metformin. I started off on two a day, which was ok fo about five weeks then when i had a blood test the diabetic nurse decided to put them up to four a day. I started with awful stomach pains, like really bad irritable bowel. Also felt ill in myself. No energy, and quite wasted sort of feeling. I went back to doctor and he put me on the time release ones. Still the same though. So i went back again and now im on one Metformin twice a day again and one gliclazide a day. Im hoping i will start to feel better soon. Since ive had the diagnoses i have felt worse than i did before. Has anyone else had this and such a reaction to Metformin? Thanks

If you read back through this thread a few posts back somebody had a similar problem and they were answered and others gave their responses as to how it affected them.

There are many who just haven't been able to tolerate Metformin of any kind. However, it does take a little time for your body to adjust to these drugs and maybe soon you will get used to it and things will settle down. My maxim is......'No pain....No gain !' I was fortunate and tolerated the drug very well

If you find it too bad you have to go back to your GP and ask for another alternative drug.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: Metformin and hypos

phil.short said:
At first I was fine on Metformin and keeping my BG constant at around 5.5, up to 8/9 after meals. I have to admit I got bored with taking measurements as it was always about the same, and got lax about checking.

Lately though I have been regularly having hypo symptoms, and started checking BG again to find it in the low 4's. I do have a problem with stomach upsets and diareaha with the metformin if I don't eat enough, so I do end up feeling hypo, with the trots and stomach cramps and no appetite.

I didn't think I could get hypos on Metformin. Is this normal? My understanding was that it works by decreasing insulin resistance making the little insulin I produce more effective, but surely if I haven't eaten then there is no insulin to be resistant to? I think I have missed something!

While I was on insulin I was adjusting my levels according to diet and BG pretty well. Is this something that should be done with Metformin? I take 1000mg twice a day, should I reduce this if I don't feel too good and have no appetite?

First of all you should check your levels more frequently as this is the only way you will know exactly what is going on. Bg levels fluctuate from minute to minute, day by day and will never give you the same readings each time, even with the same foods. It also allows you to stay on top of your Diabetes control.

As previously stated in this informative thread anybody even a non-diabetic can suffer from hypoglycaemia........it just means low blood sugar levels, anything below 4 mmol/l is considered to be a hypo. It seems it is more related to what you eat or didn't eat in this instance.

From what you say you don't appear to be eating at times, or not eating much and certainly whilst taking Metformin it is supposed to be taken with, or after food. If you don't eat, or don't eat enough that can exacerbate the side effects of Metformin. It has the effect of being 'swamped' by the food you eat......which helps to limit the side effects.

I would say that you need to be eating either little and often, or have at least two main meals daily together with a small snack. In this way the Metformin will be more effective, your Bg levels should stabilise and stop you going 'hypo.'

If you are still unable to tolerate the Metformin then there is the alternative of slow release Metformin which can be prescribed. Any medication you take should be adjusted in relation to your diet. None of them work on their own. It may be that both your diet and medication may need adjustment to counteract these hypos. As a matter of interest when exactly do you get the hypos ?

You should discuss all this with your GP.

Ken

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just browsing through this section of the website after my annual review today.

My blood sugars are still far too high - fasting blood came back as 8.6 (no A1c because I had one in June - 7.4%) so from today I shall be taking 2x80mg gliclazide in the morning only (down from 1x3 times a day) and introduce 1x500mg Metformin for a week and then 2x500 Metformin in the 2nd week. If the blood readings still rise after that I must increase to 3x500mg per day and go back to the quack.

The possibility of wind and/or diarrohea is a bit off putting but if it does the job and brings my blood sugars down to a better level then I shall have to grin :D and bear it!

Still browsing all these pages :lol:

kukka

started Metformin

HI everyone I joined in Dec last year but as im often ill with M.E i dont visit often :(

I would like advice please on my new med Metformin

The Gp gave it to me after a long time on diet only as he has now agreed my sugars are too high.I went on a diiet been doing really well lost a stone in 4 weeks but my sugars after slightly improving have stayed the same which were normally 8-10 in mornings and 11-15 a few hrs after eating

The nurse in my practise sorted out some metformin for me but as i already have a dodgy stomach and problems eating due to symptoms with the M.E/CFS she advised me start on half a tablet for first 2 weeks then go up to 1 then review

well as i am just getting over a labrythitus ear infection i put of taking my med until today.half a tablet and 3/4 hrs later sharp tum pains and a feeling that overwealms that im about to throw up but it comes and goes and a nasty nasty taste in my mouth and mouth was dry although that seems to have got better.strangley but 10 hrs later my tum is still sore and taste is bad

is this quite common and will it wear of? ive read about the tum side effects wearing of but not sure about the taste? i ate a meal before the med and drank some milk too

my other worry is of the very rare lactic acidosis as the symptoms are very similar to the M.E i already suffer and i dont think i would notice any difference

i googled and wish i hadnt as there are some horror stories abou side effects out there so i looked up here again.i lost my log in at first but found it now :)

i somehow feel a bit better when i eat but afterwards i have terrible heartburn too

im a bit wimpy as i already struggle with lots of horrible symptoms with my illess so i dont want to add to it with medicines that make me feel worse.but i know its for the best

flyer_phil

Ive been taking metformin for about 4 years now - 4 per day. It does give me occasional diarrhoea, but to be honest I prefer being loose than the other way round, so I find it OK. Also another name for the drug that people use is fartformin.

I too have been scared by the patient information leaflets, however I drink red wine every day.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Kukka.
Metformin can affect the taste buds. There are posts in this thread where people have complained of a metallic taste ? I found that the Earl Grey tea I drank tasted quite different but I couldn't say for definite that it was the Met that was the cause. Might just have been in the water supply......?

Ken

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Re:A. Suggestion re: nausea + Q. Does exactly does Metformin

Apologies if any of the following has been answered previously, had a quick glance through and cannot find it - so here goes:

I was put on Metformin at the beginning of July, 1 for 2 weeks and 2 after that, with a review due after taking for a couple of months. I have found they make me feel somewhat nauseous, and although I was warned they could loosen my bowls, they appear to have had the reverse affect!
Regarding the nausea - I have found that taking the tablet half way through a meal, as opposed to after eating, seems to help control the nausea. Yet to see the outcome of how they are affecting my blood sugars, however, I am somewhat confused to what is actually achieved by taking them.

My last hospital result was reading 5.7, which my GP admitted was not high - but she said it was slowing climbing after each check and that I should be on Metformin to (assist my pancreas).

I am not sure if I am being really thick, but are they simply to assist prolong the life of my pancreas in a bid to have it producing some insulin for a bit longer, or do they actually lower my blood sugar as well?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
cugila said:
Kukka.
Metformin can affect the taste buds. There are posts in this thread where people have complained of a metallic taste ? I found that the Earl Grey tea I drank tasted quite different but I couldn't say for definite that it was the Met that was the cause. Might just have been in the water supply......?

Ken

:eek: I had never connected the two, good point, I had not realised it until reading this, but my tea and coffee just do not seem the same, I was abroad in July when I started on the meds, I thought it was just that my tastes had not recovered when I came home (you know how tea never tastes the same abroard :!:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
HpprKM

(From the METFORMIN INFORMATION thread in Diabetes Medication and Drugs.)

Metformin is used for:
Treating type 2 diabetes. It is used along with diet and exercise. It may be used alone or with other antidiabetic medicines.

Metformin is a biguanide antidiabetic. It works by decreasing the amount of sugar that the liver produces and the intestines absorb. It also helps to make your body more sensitive to the insulin that you naturally produce.

It should reduce you Bg levels, but typically by only 1 -2 mmol/l, depending on the dose taken.
Max dose is usually 2g daily. (BNF59)
Ken

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks Cugila, succinctly answered, makes sense now :D

Janxx

Metformin didn't help me and my sugar levels stayed high. It made me feel ill and gave me irritable bowl. At the end of the day, tablets can only stimulate your body to make more insulin, but if your pancreas is knackered, or old, like mine, then you need a hormone called insulin. I have just started on insulin, and feel so much better. I was terrified of injecting, yet with the pen I have been given it is painless and easy to inject, and I would rather put a hormone into my body than a chemical in the form of a tablet. I feel I have hope after all.

Hope this helps.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks for sharing your experience with using insulin, the whole thought terrifies me, hate needles and self injecting sounds just awful. At least you have eased my mind for when the time comes to use insulin, as it surely does with most T2s