Metformin

C

catherinecherub

Having nursed clients suffering from anorexia nervosa, I can assure you it is not a condition that you would want to be suffering with.

Catherine.

samcogle

catherinecherub said:
Having nursed clients suffering from anorexia nervosa, I can assure you it is not a condition that you would want to be suffering with.

Catherine.
I agree totally, that's why I find the side effect of metformin slightly disturbing as I can see a reduction in my appetite and have developed some quite strange habits like cutting food up into a certain number of portions etc. Sure it is probably psychological [I read the side-effects and convince myself I have them, like the metfartin joke, yet my kids say I am no worse than I was in that department :lol: ] but non the less ironic having a few stones to lose.
Can you answer the question about my student please, in the earlier post, Catherine as this is something that I have never heard of and has always intrigued me.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
catherinecherub said:

Catherine.

That's true Catherine as I know several myself.The comment however ,was meant to be humorous as in 'short burst ' not to be taken seriously at all.

samcogle

peppiB said:
Must admit that since I started using Metformin (just 10 days ago) I have noticed a great fall off in appetite but no reduction in post meal BG levels. Will persevere til I am back with medics in another 11 days. I could do with losing a few more pounds anyway!!
I was the same but my levels have started to fall [been on it 3 months] but it's amazing how even when they drop you want them to drop more :D
What are your levels before a meal and then after? I had this problem but as someone pointed out on here everyones BS level go up after eating so if the rise is not significant it is probably fine :)
I complained that before a meal my BS would be 6 and then say 8 after eating. Apparently that's ok as it's a small increase. I was eating and expecting my level to drop :lol:

samcogle

sugarless sue said:
8 after eating that drops back to 5's sounds OK to me,Sam.
Thanks, apart from my 'scratch' curry with lentils and rice that sent me rocketing to 10.5...learned my lesson yet again :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Try making cauliflower rice,Sam,it's good and doesn't send BG's into orbit.

C

catherinecherub

Hi sam,
I think with regard to the Dr. and anorexia it was just a bad choice of words. He may have thought she had started to deliberately stop eating in order to lose some weight. Anyone in their teens/early twenties with a rapid, unexplained weightloss usually gets asked if they are neglecting to eat properly.

Catherine.

peppiB

samcogle said:
peppiB said:
Must admit that since I started using Metformin (just 10 days ago) I have noticed a great fall off in appetite but no reduction in post meal BG levels. Will persevere til I am back with medics in another 11 days. I could do with losing a few more pounds anyway!!
I was the same but my levels have started to fall [been on it 3 months] but it's amazing how even when they drop you want them to drop more :D
What are your levels before a meal and then after? I had this problem but as someone pointed out on here everyones BS level go up after eating so if the rise is not significant it is probably fine :)
I complained that before a meal my BS would be 6 and then say 8 after eating. Apparently that's ok as it's a small increase. I was eating and expecting my level to drop :lol:

Starvation (ie early morning) over the past few days 9.1 before meals 8 2 hours after meals 9.5 - 10

bedtime it drops back to 8.4. These readings are similar to the ones i had before starting the metformin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Peppib.

With levels like that you need to do something about them.
A quick fix may be to adjust your Diet.
The best way is to see your GP with the readings and see if your medication needs adjusting. The longer you leave it the worse it gets.

Hope this helps.

Ken. :D

peppiB

Thanks Ken. I already low carb and dont eat a lot and rarely drink alcohol (am disabled so loads of exercise is out) See doc and nurse together with these (and other) figures a week on Wednesday. I am concerned about my levels, but have a friend who's last HBA1C 2 weeks ago was 18.5 and he just doesn't care and refuses to alter his lifestyle (mainly very very high alcohol consumption). At least I am trying to lower mine - to be well enough for his funeral methinks!!

samcogle

catherinecherub said:
Hi sam,
I think with regard to the Dr. and anorexia it was just a bad choice of words. He may have thought she had started to deliberately stop eating in order to lose some weight. Anyone in their teens/early twenties with a rapid, unexplained weightloss usually gets asked if they are neglecting to eat properly.

Catherine.
Yes could be. I know it freaked her out as she was very ill at the time and had been hospitalised so the last thing her mum wanted to hear was that she had an eating disorder!!

Trinkwasser

Mwtformin may take up to three weeks to start working, and on top of that it's usual to start you at a low dose and walk it up slowly to avoid brown trouser incidents. For some people it is necessary to go up to 1500 - 2500 mg before it starts to work. So stick with it . . .

KAZ6

Hi
this is the first time i have used this forum, i am desperate need of information, i was put on Metformin 6 weeks ago then changed onto slow release 3 weeks ago , my HBA1 WAS 7.9 , I take 2x500 mg with my evening meal , however i also have IBS , during the night i wake ith severe abdominal pains and need to go to the toilet at least 7 times the next morning , i am at my wits end as i struggle to go to work and cannot plan to go anywhere, i do not know if the symptoms are caused by my IBS or just the tablets, does anybody know what options i have as the nurse told me the Doctor may want to try me on glicazide which i do not want to take.
Awaiting desperately a reply.

Trinkwasser

You could try the metformin at a different time of day, or splitting the dose. Also DON'T eat carbs at the same time.

It may be though that it just isn't for you. You can also reduce your IR by growing and using muscle (this works better with the metformin but will have some effect without), alternatively you may need some different meds, depending on your diet it may not be plausible for you to reduce your carbs sufficiently to do without. What sort of things do you need to eat and avoid for the IBS?

KAZ6

No special foods for my IBS appears stress related, will try the no carbs idea, thanks does this mean a low carb diet all day or just when taking meds?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Kaz,

I too had the same problems that you have encountered since starting Metformin. I was waking in the night and rushing to the loo, I take my 500mg tablet with my breakfast, which is usually egg and bacon or an omlette with cheese. since I have taken my tablet with food the problem has gone away.

Good luck, I hope your problem will soon stop.

Regards

Bernie

witsum

Hi all
As the originator of this thread, I just thought I would update on events-or should I say non events!
The GP still has not received the letter from the endo recommending starting me on Metformin but thought I would ask a couple of questions in the meantime.
I'm still not sure what HBA1C is-when I had my GTT test my post fasting/pre glucose reading was 5.7 and my post glucose was 8.4 (Is this the HBA1C?)
I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic ( but GP said he would not put me on medication until I developed full blown diabetes but then the endo wants me to start Metformin now, hence my post.
I have been testing my BS levels at different times of day and have noticed over past couple of weeks that my BS levels are starting to average more towards 7 than 5/6 and a few times have had readings of 9.3 so feel that there may be a shift towards an increasing IGT.-any thoughts?
Thanks for listening to my ramblings!