Metformin

witsum

Hi all-just to update:
I finally have been prescribed Metformin!!-saw the endo again and he was annoyed that the GP had overruled his recommendations from 5 months ago that GP start me on Metformin to hopefully delay my IGT developing into full blown diabetes.
The endo has decided to deft the GP out and given me the Metformin and said I will just need to ring his secretary when I need repeat prescription!
Just a question-I have to take one tablet a day for the first week-in the leaflet it states Metformin should be taken in the evening but I thought the endo's registrar told me to take it in the morning??
From week 2 I will have to take 1 tablet twice a day so it would make sense to me to start this first week taking it in the morning-any advise greatly appreciated.
PS-Thankfully he has prescribed the slow release Metformin!-I was dreading 'windy city' side effect lol!!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi witsum, when I started on metformin I was told take one tablet in the morning for a week then add another in the evening (diner) then in my case a week later I increased by another 500mg in the morning and finally a week later another in the evening.

I think its standard policy to increase it gradually like that, as to whether starting in the morning or evening, it probably makes no difference but if I were you I would be guided by your consultants advice. :)

witsum

The plot thickens!
I saw the GP couple of days after endo had prescribed me Metformin, (which I hadn't started taking due to other tests I was having done) GP was still reluctant to go along with this decision as previously discussed here because I am not overt diabetic but would work with endo.

I asked if before starting MF I could have a further GTT as have only ever had one which was done last September when my BS was fasting 5.2 post glucose 8.2-hence my IGT prediabetic diagnosis.

Had GTT yesterday and GP phoned me today and said readings within normal range 5.3/6.2 so not even prediabetic!
She said that whatever I had been doing diet/exercise wise over the past year had reduced BS levels back to normal range but as I am genetically predisposed to diabetes I will continue to be monitored and hopefully the inevitable will be delayed for a good while yet.
So, if I had not asked for the further GTT I would have started on the Metformin to treat prediabetes which I now don't appear to have!
PS My HBA1C was 5.6 when had it tested 2 weeks ago

markd

This is a very interesting study (quite a long read, however):

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... /2361.full

It looks at how Metformin works on diabetics of normal, overweight and obese build.

A couple of bits I found interesting:

>
The fact that the two groups with lower weight performed better than their obese counterparts, irrespective of whether metformin or sulfonylurea treatment was used initially, suggests that the difference is probably a reflection of the impact of body weight on the disease process rather than a drug effect
>

And

>
Most interestingly, when the 27 metformin-treated patients with BMI <25 kg/m2 were examined, their median duration of successful monotherapy was longer at 7.0 years, compared with 6.4 years in their sulfonylurea-treated counterparts. Thus, there is evidence that metformin not only performs well in the nonobese individuals but might work even better in thin patients with type 2 diabetes.
>

Mark.

witsum

Hi all
Can't believe it is over 6 months since I last posted but thought I would give an update.
As reported previously my prediabetic BS levels had returned to within normal levels last August and GP said not to start on the Metformin.
I saw endo in November and we went through the whole 'you should be on MF' scenario again and he was going to write to GP. This unfortunately did not happen till February!
His recommendations for the MF even though now not prediabetic was as follows:
I have non alcoholic fatty liver
I have high cholestrol 6.1 HDL 1.56 Trigs 2.1
I have Metabolic Syndrome
HBA1c 5.9%
I spoke to my GP today as he wanted to consult with the other GP's in the practice. He has said that the decision to take or not take MF is now down to me!!!!
Any thoughts/suggestions really would be appreciated!
Regards