Metformin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
witsum said:
Just to add-my BS this morning before breakfast was 1.9!!!!

Hi witsum.
With numbers that low I think I would be inclined to have a small snack before bedtime just to top up your levels. Nothing much, just enough to put you into the guideline area of Fasting Bg - 4 to 7 mmol/l.

Hope that helps.
Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi witsum,

An HBA1C is a specific test where they take a sample of your blood and send it to a lab for analysis. The equipment that the lab uses can work out what your blood sugar levels have been over the previous 90 days and the result is shown as a percentage figure (e.g. it might be 7%). This % figure is not shown as mmol/l (which your own daily testing and also the GTT tests will be), but it is possible to cinvert the HBA1C figure into mmol/l using a converter. There is a converter on this website, here's a link to it.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-bloo ... erter.html

witsum

Ken
Strangely enough, last night I did have my usual evening cuppa and Ryvita later than normal and the 1.9 BS reading this morning was the lowest it's ever been!!

Dennis
Thanks for explaining about the HBA1C, I obviously haven't had a HBA1C test done, possibly because I am only pre-diabetic-perhaps they usually only do that once full blown diabetes is diagnosed.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi witsum.

You appear to be suffering episodes of Hypoglaecemia as shown by the very low Bg levels in the morning. Do you know what your pre bedtime Bg level is ?

What is the normal range of blood sugar ?
The normal range for blood sugar is about 3.5 - 6 mmol/l, depending on when the person last ate. In the fasting state, blood sugar can occasionally fall below 3.5 mmol/l and even to below 3.0 mmol/l and not indicate a serious abnormality or disease. Blood sugar levels below 2.5 mmol/l are almost always associated with a problem.

I suggest that you contact your GP/Care team ASAP and explain the problem. If you are that low again you need to get some carbs into you to push the level back up towards normal.

witsum

Hi Cugila
I don't think I have ever actually tested my pre-bedtime levels-I know it might be a silly question but do I have to make sure it is 2 hours after my late evening snack and just as I am about to go to bed.
I have had my niggly problems put into perspective tonight as my 12 year old great nephew was today rushed into hospital quite poorly and has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi witsum.

Just see what it is before bed. Then at least you know what is happening during the night. If it is 2 hrs after your last snack, even better. Do you feel strange when your Bg is so low ?
Sorry for all the questions - just helps to give a clearer picture of what is going on.

Sorry to hear about the lad, I am sure he will get all the help he needs. It is good that you are concerned for him too. My thoughts are with you both at this difficult time.
We are here for you if you need support or just a chat.

Ken.

sandymaynard

Hi witsum
i am so sorry to hear about your lad, Hopefully he will get all the help he needs in hospital!
i will be thinking of you both! I hope that you are okay! Please don't forget to take care of yourself with all the stress, It is easy for me to say! I forgot to eat when my mum got rushed into hospital!
Please take care of yourself!
Sandy

witsum

Hi Ken
Thanks for your speedy response and your concern-I will do the test later and then first thing in the morning to see what is happening during the night as you suggested.
I have had very low readings three times now and the only way I can explain how I was feeling at these times was as if things were going on around me but I wasn't part of them-does that make sense?
I will keep you updated on readings and hopefully the letter from the endo should be at GP's by end of week so I can then meet with GP to dscuss way forward (as stated before he is reluctant to put me on Metformin before I have full blown diabetes) and at least I can take my BS monitor along and show him the fluctuations in my BS levels.
Sandy
Thanks for your support and concern-as you say he will be well looked after in the hospital and they will be doing everything to help him as he starts on this life changing journey.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi witsum.
As sandy says, look after yourself as well.
Just a thought, if you have had a stressful day this can also affect your Bg levels - so tonight may give different readings than normally.
You mention feeling strange when Bg is low. That is typical of the sensation of a Hypo. I too get the same feeling when I am dropping down to 4 and below. Also my spelling and concentration are atrocious. :lol:

Anyway just try to relax tonight.
regards
Ken.

witsum

Hi Ken
My BS was 6.5 at bedtime and 6.1 this morning-I'm going to test throughout today, which is something I haven't done previously, usually I just do morning and after evening meal.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi witsum, morning to you.

Those numbers seem much better. May be because you had some stress yesterday ?
Let's hope they continue that way. Let us know the results of todays tests. Before food, 1 hr and 2 hrs after. Try to keep note of the actual foods as well.

Regards
Ken.

witsum

Hi Ken-Had posted this few minutes ago but then message came up-Server unavailable' so it didn't get through! so will try and remember what I put!
Just to update on yesterday's readings:
Bedtime previous night 6.5
Fasting 6.1
2 hours after breakfast 7.2
2 hours after lunch 6.0
1 hour after evening meal 11.4
2 hours after evening meal 7.7
Bedtime-2 hours after snack 7.6

As I said previously, my average readings now seem to be 7, instead of 5/6.

On another note-I'm very confused about dietary recommendations- Diabetes UK main pages and my GP's healthy eating sheet lean towards high carb/low fat but the concensus on the forums is low carb! I don't know what I'm supposed to eat-all this worrying and I haven't even been diagnosed with full blown diabetes!
Thanks so much Ken for your support and also everyone else on the forum-you are a great bunch of people-I don't know what I'd do without you all!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi witsum.
Know the feeling about Posts. I gave up and went away. It was just useless trying to do anything on here.
Numbers. All look pretty good, except the spike after your evening meal. Can you remember what you had ? You also should have tested 1 hr AND 2hrs after each and every meal, not snacks.

The Diet advice is a very contentious issue on here and has caused much grief recently.
However the eat plenty of starchy carbohydrates is for an awful lot of us not the way to go. If your body can't deal with those foods and your Bg spikes all the time it is very likely because that Diet may not be for you. I used it for years and got progressively worse and worse.

I use a combination of Low GI, Low Carbs (reduced),Low Fat,Low salt an sugar etc. Devised by me with the help of the many good people on here. It works very well for me but you will have to find out what suits YOU by testing and keeping an accurate food diary. Just whate you ate, don't worry too much about quantity yet.
I studiously avoid Bread, unless low carb which I make myself. Potato, Rice,Pasta and most root veg unless in small quantities. Totally against the DUK and NHS advice.
I think it is wrong - that is my own personal opinion.

Ken.

witsum

Thanks Ken
I had intended to test 1 hour after meals but was out and about in between times so only managed to do the 1 hour reading after the evening meal, which unsurprisingly , reading the rest of your post , was too heavy on the carbs-ie roast potatoes with cottage pie (and vegetables)!
I need to get some more test strips so I can do a few full day's readings and diarise what I have eaten and see what transpires!

samcogle

Hi Witsum, was there mash on the cottage pie too and what veg was it? Even carrots know my BS levels up a bit but I think I am just weird :lol:
Could be too many carbs but then again by 2 hours they are not so bad again :)

witsum

Sam
Yes, there was mash on the cottage pie!-Too many carbs I know-Vegetables were peas and carrots.
It's going to be trial and error just like all you good people on this forum have gone/are going through, but having the wonderful support and advice of this extended 'family' makes it far less daunting!

samcogle

Exactly...trial and error. Good luck with it and I agree totally, the support and things you learn on here are fab. I was giving advice to a neighbour today when we were chatting and she said she had Type 2 and her levels are about 9. I told her about this place and had she thought of lowering her carbs as it might help. I left her thinking wow who would have thought I new something about this illness :lol:

witsum

The plot thickens! (Sorry in advance for long post!)
Spoke to GP re letter from endo recommending starting me on Metformin-as previously stated GP practice do not endorse this-GP said this was because of the directive by their surgery trust-
however GP is going to speak to a Professor of Diabetics for guidance as the practice GP's are getting so many similar requests by consultants/endos to start pre-diabetics on Metformin.

He also said that he did not think it worthwhile for me testing my BS levels as the only readings which would be taken into account would be when I have another GTT test and I would be worrying myself when I get high readings!
We also discussed the results of the batch of blood tests endo requested-
Cholestrol 6.5-[/b Bad 3.40 Good 1.43 Trics 3.0-]was going to start me on statins but is going to wait until spoken to Professor
Liver ALA -38-possible non alcoholic fatty liver-got to have Liver Scan
Platelet count-509 -indicates possible 'fatty' arteries
GP said all these high results seem to indicate diabetes trend!!

I get more confused by the day
Brief history-Slow weight gain over 18 month period but, stupid as it may sound, as very active and not a big eater didn't realise extent of the weight/inches going on! 12 stone 2lbs-only 5 feet!
Did a diary of what I was eating-only having about 1200 calories per day plus lots of exercise burning off calories so why no weight loss
Oct 08-Diagnosed with prediabetes IGT 8.2 after glucose drink
Jan-March-Weight dropped to 11 stone 5lbs-also inch loss round hips and waist :)
April-May-Weight going back up-nearing 12 stone again-inch gain mainly under the ribs-look pregnant!!!!
Family history-Mom type 2 -died at 72-heart related/diabetes
Dad-died at 75-heart related
Sister now 65-Type 2-underactive thyroid-obese-no exercise, heavy smoker etc..

So I know I am high risk for diabetes and heart problems but unlike my sister am trying desperately to make sure I do everything I can to minimise risks but don't seem to be getting anywhere!!!
Really sorry for going on-just feeling sorry for myself!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
A GP seeking to overrule the Consultant ??
I know where I would put my money. this is outrageous, and purely down to costs.
I would certainly get back on to the Consultant you saw and appraise him of the situation. The man is obviously out of his depth.

:twisted:

Trinkwasser

Agreed, the short version: we know you have diabetes but we have decided not to spend any money on you. Now go away and get worse.