Monitoring

TonyTruthful

It’s just so unpractical and uncomfortable. I will never get the hang of it! Does this make me a not so good diabetic?

Meter out>strip out> lancet out> test>dispose of strip and packet> sore finger> blood on oneself/furniture> back into pouch.

There has to be an easier way?

The CGM looks like the perfect solution….but they are expensive and temperamental by all accounts.

Any tips on making it easier?

We need a device that’s like the lancet thing, so when you click it, it then punctures the skin, takes some blood and then gives you a reading. It would be soooo much easier – do you know what I mean?

I know I won’t be alone on this one….it’s horrible. I must check my sugars 4 times a month max! I’ve stopped requesting strips because I am just wasting money. Seriously if you need strips I can put them in the post!

It’s a bit like dieting for me….it lasts a few weeks then I just give up 

Ps – and the Drs look at you like you have six heads if you tell them you’re not testing he he.

Peace out.

TT

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sorry to hear your having trouble testing. have you tried changing the depth the lancet goes in?
Not to sure weather I've got used to it over time but i now change the setting depending on which finger I'm using.

As to cgms, i wish i could afford one, they have helped in getting my pump set up, but i think your still meant to test for calibration reasons.

Richard

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a meter - the AccuChek Mobile - which comes fairly close to what you want: test strip cartridges which have to be changed only after 50 tests, and drums with 6 lancets (as an additional benefit there are no exposed sharps to worry about). Unfortunately, the meter is quite big (2-3x the size of other meters) and a bit awkward to use (the device sorta blocks you from seeing what you are doing).

sore finger
You may have set your lancets too deep; you are supposed to use the outside area, and I personally like using the side of the little finger facing away from the hand (lots of blood on the shallowest setting with virtually no pain).

blood on oneself/furniture
I know, I know... Although I'm a bit more worried about clothing tbh. Personally I've given up on plasters and just use (generic) Elastoplast tape.

The CGM looks like the perfect solution….but they are expensive and temperamental by all accounts.
And, from personal experience, just as inconvenient I'm sorry to say - e.g. There is no way the adhesive will last as long as the sensor (5+ days) if want to show every day, or have a bath, or go for a swim, or maybe do a bit of vigorous exercise/sport :(

warden01

I had similar frustrations at first. Not really anything I can say about the pain (we're pretty much stuck with that I'm afraid) though not every meter has the same size lancet and that can have an impact.

Have you seen / tried the Accu-chek Mobile (Roche). I went through a few monitors before I found this one. The good thing is it uses a tape ribbon contained within the device rather than strips you have to pull in and out (so less mess) and it has an integrated lancet (stuck to the side) that carries a drum of 6 lancets - so again less changes and less mess! It also looks just enough like a mobile phone that most people don't even notice me using it. With a bit of practice, you can use it without needing a table to lay all of the kit out!

Silly as it is, it did me proud when I needed to test in the cue for an Alton Towers ride. Mostly though it's discrete enough the people at work barely notice (even though they know I'm T1) and I can use it out and about without fuss or feeling self conscious.

Above all, testing may be a pain (and painful at times) but it's so important to keeping this condition under control.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CGM isnt perfect but its quite close. Doesnt stop testing though, still need to do that for bolus and decisions.

Dont you drive then? surprized if you could have a licence with not testing...

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You said a while back...
Lol I’m feeling sorry for myself again…. I just can’t get the hang of it. My hab1c has slipped again to 9.8% which was a little annoying, its gone 7, 8 and now 9.8 and I haven’t really done anything different. My consultant won’t let me have ago on the pump because I haven’t proved myself….***.

It's no wonder your HbA1c has gone up (without you doing anything different???? yeah, not testing). At least running that high you're not risking hypos but as mentioned above if you drive you MUST test beforehand else DVLA can revoke your licence.

I use an Accucheck Mobile and it is far far easier that fussing about with test strips and changing lancets regularly.

Please start testing again before your health starts to suffer and you get ill.

Angie

Crisnevius

The biggest problem is to adjust the blood drop and point the device at it. It has to be a bigger drop than required to Compact Plus and you must just touch it light, not press the meter on the drop.
Connection with computer does not require A Smart Pix Device, since it has an Usb cable, but it requieres a Software package that has the same name as the Device. Version is 1.0.2. Its very hard to operate, unless you just want to print the standard reports wich waste paper and ink.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unfortunately the only way to control diabetes is through regular testing and learning from the results, the multiclix lancers are great if you don't want to change the lancet every-time.

TonyTruthful

Nah don’t drive much, commute to work on PT. I’m always in a haze of high glucose when driving.

Had a look at the Accucheck Mobiles – actually looks quite good! Do you reckon I could get on prescription?

Apparently 21% of T1’s never test there bg’s anyway. I can see why, my lifestyle will never lend itself to T1…it makes me sad sometimes lol.

It depressing enough being a semi-uncontrolled betic…let alone testing and pissing around with CP’s and correction shiiiite (done an online Dafne coure aint i :wink: )

equipoise

TonyTruthful said:
Nah don’t drive much, commute to work on PT. I’m always in a haze of high glucose when driving.

Had a look at the Accucheck Mobiles – actually looks quite good! Do you reckon I could get on prescription?

Apparently 21% of T1’s never test there bg’s anyway. I can see why, my lifestyle will never lend itself to T1…it makes me sad sometimes lol.

It depressing enough being a semi-uncontrolled betic…let alone testing and pissing around with CP’s and correction shiiiite (done an online Dafne coure aint i :wink: )

What's your problem TT? Are you wanting to be ticked off for being so bloody irresponsible and immature so that you can feel daringly reckless? Or do you genuinely want to reform? Plenty of people here to help if you really want to do the latter, but it would help if you actually showed it.

TonyTruthful

Yes Equipoise I’m just generally being bloody-minded and self-absorbent.

On another thread some called me bloody minded – it sounds very apt.

But on a serious note (I know I shouldn’t) does anyone have a accucheck mobile on script?

Forever Yours,

TT

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TonyTruthful said:
Yes Equipoise I’m just generally being bloody-minded and self-absorbent.

On another thread some called me bloody minded – it sounds very apt.

But on a serious note (I know I shouldn’t) does anyone have a accucheck mobile on script?

Forever Yours,

TT

Yes, I've got 2 both given to me by the Diabetic Clinic at the hospital.
Angie

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using the Accu-chek mobile for about 8 years. Accu-chek upgrade me every 3 years for nothing as long as my GP is prescribing the cassettes for them.

Marferret

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Really sympathising with you. I've been there too.

I 've been testing for 10 yrs now and I still can't bring myself to prick my fingers. Like you, I had a real fear ot testing. But I have an Abbot Freestyle meter, which only needs a really tiny drop of blood, and I test on the backs of my arms. The lancing device also has a slightly different top for non-finger tests, and you can dial the pressure up or down. It's pretty painless. I get my strips and lancets on the NHS, and the meter comes free from Abbot (just Google Abbot diabetes care). They make their profit from the strips, so they are quite happy to supply the meters.

Hang on in there - it really does get better. And it's worth keeping at it as you can manage things so much better if you know your levels.

PS Ooops - I have just reread the thread and noticed you are a type 1. I'm a type 2 but am on insulin too now and have been told I really should test my fingers, as the reading from your arms has a lag of about 30 mins + on your 'true' reading. Arm testing is still OK for non-critical readings, though.

tono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't believe the **** I'm reading here if your diabetic and want to keep it under control you've got to test, I must have pricked my fingers 50000 times over the years you've just got to get on with it

Reactions: 3 people

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add to marferret s post. I am T1 but have always hated testing due to the pain and the fact that I bleed too well! For the last 5-6 years I have been testing on the tops of my forearms (below the elbow) as my machine said I could in the instructions. Sooooo much less painful u hardly feel a thing and does not bleed so badly afterwards either. Gives a slightly belated reading by about 10 mins but shouldn't matter too much of u r testing before meals.

I told this to my diabetes team and they looked at me like I had made it up. Got a new machine recently tho and this also said it was ok to use armshope that helps

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

hey Tony,

intiguing post.

The 21 %, are they those that aren't aware they have diabetes?

What's your lifestylye that precludes you from testing? I'm a relatively newly diagnosed type1, I have a very varied schedule, lots of travel, I see it as my routine I can't control, but my testing I can.

TonyTruthful

Hey JRW,

Thank you. Not sure mate on the 21% think I saw it on the internet.

I'm always very busy working in a cut throat male dominated industry that frown upon invalids like me.