Mood swings

Faye93

Hi I’m wanting some advice. I’ve been T1 for just short of 3 years now and My blood sugars are extremely unstable. But for the past 3 months or so I’ve been experiencing some very noticeable mood swings. I’m easily irritated or annoyed at things and I cry constantly. Is this normal? Ive been on the same anti depressants for about 3 years and they’ve been working great. But recently my BG is much worse and so are the mood swings. Any advice on how to stop them at all?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The mood swings would be consistent with hormonal activity that is also causing blood glucose swings. Have you had your thyroid checked out?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Faye93

Welcome to the forum :)

There’s possibly a few things at play here so bear with me.. when I was diagnosed about 6 months in I struggled massively with fluctuating blood glucose levels, mine were really unstable, I was bouncing about day after day and my mood was very low, I decided to go low carb so I was taking less insulin which meant less less margin for error, this helped greatly as my mood stabilised and I found my control much easier to manage as a result. Then about 3 years in I then discovered my thyroid was under active, again I was quite low mood wise and also putting in weight, losing hair, I was prescribed levothyroxine which helped again balance things out.

I also notice each month with my menstrual cycle a direct link to both control and mood, becoming more insulin resistant and needing almost a third more insulin for about 3-4 days to a week where I have to make adjustments, however I can run consistently high rather than bouncing a bit so it’s fairly easy to spot.

A good starting point would be to simply record your results and look for patterns with your dosing and results see if you can spot how long/when, if it’s happening consistently then see your GP and get some blood work done to check your thyroid also check all over areas too, if you don’t do low carb also try this too, obviously check with your DSN as your insulin needs will change.

You will get to the bottom of it am sure but don’t be afraid to ask your team for help too, they are there to support you.

Faye93

Hi @Faye93

Welcome to the forum :)

There’s possibly a few things at play here so bear with me.. when I was diagnosed about 6 months in I struggled massively with fluctuating blood glucose levels, mine were really unstable, I was bouncing about day after day and my mood was very low, I decided to go low carb so I was taking less insulin which meant less less margin for error, this helped greatly as my mood stabilised and I found my control much easier to manage as a result. Then about 3 years in I then discovered my thyroid was under active, again I was quite low mood wise and also putting in weight, losing hair, I was prescribed levothyroxine which helped again balance things out.

I also notice each month with my menstrual cycle a direct link to both control and mood, becoming more insulin resistant and needing almost a third more insulin for about 3-4 days to a week where I have to make adjustments, however I can run consistently high rather than bouncing a bit so it’s fairly easy to spot.

A good starting point would be to simply record your results and look for patterns with your dosing and results see if you can spot how long/when, if it’s happening consistently then see your GP and get some blood work done to check your thyroid also check all over areas too, if you don’t do low carb also try this too, obviously check with your DSN as your insulin needs will change.

You will get to the bottom of it am sure but don’t be afraid to ask your team for help too, they are there to support you.
Thanks for your advice I will definitely give it ago

Reactions: Juicyj